Caz
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Folks

I have booked to go to South Africa next year and I wonder if anyone who has been on the South Africa trip before, could tell me about where you stay in Kruger National Park. I have just found out that the park is a hot spot for malaria and wondered if the rooms had mosquito nets etc. I also assume I will need to visit my doctor before going regarding medication. I know I might sound worried but I want nothing to spoil my holiday by ensuring all precautions are taken and by having an idea what is already in place. I would really appreciate any advice or feedback you can give. Thanks!

Cazx

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Caz,

I went to South Africa in March this year. You don't actually stay in Kruger Park but at lodges outside. None of the rooms we stayed in had mosquito nets but all had air conditioning so you could keep the windows closed. It certainly is worthwhile speaking to you doctor before you go and get some anti-malaria tablets. Get some repellant too, about 50% DEET.

Regds

Jim

Caz
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Jim I really appreciate your feedback. Can I ask if you enjoyed the trip and what tips can you give?

Cazx

Caz
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'JimS' wrote:

Hi Caz,

I went to South Africa in March this year. You don't actually stay in Kruger Park but at lodges outside. None of the rooms we stayed in had mosquito nets but all had air conditioning so you could keep the windows closed. It certainly is worthwhile speaking to you doctor before you go and get some anti-malaria tablets. Get some repellant too, about 50% DEET.

Regds

Jim

Thanks Jim for the feedback. How did you find it and have you any tips? Cazx

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
The South Africa trip as a whole was brilliant! I had a great time and everyone in my group thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit the main reason I went was to see the animals. I did all the game drives I could!

I don’t know if you are doing the Victoria Falls extension but that was fantastic. The hotel is in a game reserve, I woke up the first morning and there were zebras on the grass outside my room, and you are only 10 minutes walk away from the falls. As a hotel guest you have free access to the falls.

Tips:

Make sure you have lots of rand. I took the maximum amount of rand allowable, you are only allowed to take 5000 rand into South Africa, and if I needed more cash I just visited an ATM. There are plenty of opportunities to visit an ATM but always have someone else with you when you use an ATM. Most days you have to buy your lunch and on some occasions dinner as well.

Be aware of your surroundings when out in public and who's about you. Don't wear all your jewels or flash your wallets and mobiles about. Money belts are good and ensure that all the ladies have their handbags closed and tucked tight under their arms. It's a beautiful country and wonderful experience, but you still need to be careful.

The optional tours for South Africa are priced in pounds but you have to pay in rand.

I had anti-malaria tablets (malarone) and a tropical insect repellant (50% DEET). I have also been advised that the best repellent for bugs and mosquitoes are the rubber bands / bangles you can get from the pharmacy - your wear them on your ankles or wrists and supposedly they are very effective. You can shower and swim with them on.

If you are doing the Victoria Falls extension:

Don't try and exchange money or use ATMs in Zambia, There is a large fee for doing this. If you need any cash get it in South Africa before you leave. ATMs and Exchange services are available at the airport.

Zambia was on a bed & breakfast basis. You can use Dollars, Rand or Pounds. I just charged all my meals and drinks to my room and paid up using my credit card at the end

You will need dollars to pay for the entry/exit visa for Zambia, $50 or $80, depending on if you do the optional day tour to Botswana.

If you have any more questions I am happy to respond.

Regds

Jim

Caz
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you so much for that Jim. I really appreciate all the information, I am not doing the add on to Victoria Falls but feel like I would like to now. If I do have any more questions I will get in touch. Cazx
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Caz,

I'm doing this trip on 21 Sept and can't wait - Jim your comments are very helpful, thank you! I didn't initially book the Victoria Falls add-on, but after reading some comments about it, I rang JY and they let me re-book to include the Victoria Falls, so Caz you could do the same, it's expensive but I really think it will turn an amazing holiday into the trip of a lifetime!