Mick W
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
If anyone stays over at hotels near heathrow airport you will find there is often a charge for shuttle buses (Hoppa) to the airport which is unusual in my experience.

However you may be interested to know that service buses within a certain distance (1mile +) are free and the range covers quite a few hotels (especially those along Bath Road). I've used this service twice in the past (from Sheraton Skyline and Arora International) with no problem.

Buses are very regular so no need to worry but you can check timetables.

The attached map shows the bus routes with "free zone" marked and hotels on the routes if this is useful for anyone :-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/heathrowterminals123-13970.pdf 

Mick

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mick

Your post made me laugh in a good way as I live so close to LHR, so know exactley where and what you are talking about. It's just a shame most JY tours I go on are out of LGW that's a pain for me...I don't know if you drive to LGW if you go out of there but I use a very good car company that you ring when your close by and they meet you at departures, so you just get out of the car and hand it over then when you fly back to LGW you ring when you have your luggage and then they are outside waiting for you with your car, it works very well for me very resonable rates, I used to book into a hotel and leave car there but this works so much better for me. If anybody would like that information it is:-

www.tudorrose.co.uk

If anybody wants more information about LHR hotels etc contact me, as it's where I spent my working life and just down the road from me.

Cindy

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Cindy,

I live in Yorkshire and vary how I get to London Airports between Car and train depending on flight times. I've never actually had a Gatwick flight although a few of the holidays I'm considering in future are from there.

Last year I did Americas Golden West from Heathrow and used the train but this year for Parks & Canyons its the car because I'll be travelling down Sunday and don't trust sunday trains. Train is the most economical if you book your tickets in advance.

I nearly always stop over the night before and usually use my AA membership to book as it gives you discounts on hotel and parking deals. Managed to get the Renaissance on Bath road, hotel and 11 days parking plus breakfast in June for £94 which looks a good deal.

I'll check out the site you suggest could be useful in future.

Thanks

Mick

bondensbabe
(Member)
I agree with Mick. The service buses are very useful. I stayed at one of the Holiday Inn's at Heathrow last October, and found it a really good way of getting to the hotel.

I will be staying overnight again this year at the Springwood Guest House at Horley before my flight to Naples from Gatwick the following morning. Great place, free transfer to and from the airport (between 8am and 7pm) and very reasonably priced. I heartily recomend it.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mick

That's not a bad deal you have got there TBH, not sure I would trust Sunday trains either, so looks like your on the USA trips at the moment, after Kenya last year I am having a little break to Tuscanny this year and then New Zealand next year, so many to choose from.

Cindy

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Cindy,

I do like the USA been to many cities over there and seem to be just mixing it with europe at present, doing discover Mallorca at easter but flying from Manchester. Saying that I'm considering Australia, China & Cuba for future trips.

So much choice its hard to prioritise.

Mick.

jo andrews
(Member)
Well I've made a right boo boo. I'm off to Texas and New Orleans on 7th April so booked for the night before at the Travelodge Heathrow Central at a bargain price of £32. The only trouble is the Hoppa only goes to terminals 1, 2 & 3 from that hotel. The taxi from there to terminal 4 is £15 (plus tip) :@

I might as well have booked Premier Inn which was slightly more expensive as the Hoppa from there goes to all terminals (double :@:@).

Also my son can't give me a lift as promised as he now has to work so I'm having to drive to the hotel (£5 parking) then drive to terminal 4 in the morning and park my car (£65 triple :@:@:@).

I'm hoping the holiday will get better after all that!!!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jo

That's not good for you is it and your holiday has not even started look on the bright side..THING's can only get better ...

Cindy

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Jo,

These hiccups sometimes happen but doubt it'll spoil your holiday. It was one of the trips I considered but opted for Parks & Canyons (20th April). I have been to San Antonio and it really is a nice place, the river walk is so pretty with loads of places to eat.

You could have got a bus from the heathrow central bus terminal (1, 2 & 3) to terminal 4 rather than a taxi, its in the freeflow area so wouldn't cost anything.

Have a great holiday.

Mick

Sue2
  • (Member)
(Member)
'bondensbabe' wrote:

I agree with Mick. The service buses are very useful. I stayed at one of the Holiday Inn's at Heathrow last October, and found it a really good way of getting to the hotel.

I will be staying overnight again this year at the Springwood Guest House at Horley before my flight to Naples from Gatwick the following morning. Great place, free transfer to and from the airport (between 8am and 7pm) and very reasonably priced. I heartily recomend it.

But isnt the Naples flight at 8am? So the check in time will be around 5am?