igosolo
  • (Newbie) (Topic Starter)
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan a trip to South Korea for next year. It will be my first time visiting this country and I'm getting excited!

Does anyone have any top recommendations for places I need to see or experiences not to miss? Particularly interested in Korean food, history, and culture.

Also looking for advice on the best way to get around - mostly interested in public transport but open to other options.

Any tips for budgeting or saving money would also be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get some local insight from those of you who've been before.

Please share any ideas or suggestions! Looking forward to exploring all that South Korea has to offer.

JustDani
(Newbie)
Originally Posted by: igosolo 

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan a trip to South Korea for next year. It will be my first time visiting this country and I'm getting excited!

Does anyone have any top recommendations for places I need to see or experiences not to miss? Particularly interested in Korean food, history, and culture.

Also looking for advice on the best way to get around - mostly interested in public transport but open to other options.

Any tips for budgeting or saving money would also be greatly appreciated. Hoping to get some local insight from those of you who've been before.

Please share any ideas or suggestions! Looking forward to exploring all that South Korea has to offer.

Hi, @igosolo. I stayed for several years in South Korea and I must say it is best to get around using Seoul subway. I’ve been to Japan as well, but the Seoul subway has got to be my favorite train system out of all the places I’ve visited. I wouldn’t want to ride a taxi in Seoul unless the subway is closed, they drive very fast, and beating the red lights is very common. For tips on saving money, I would suggest seeing places that are close to each other, like Samsung Transportation Museum and Everland amusement park (Seoul’s version of Disneyland). If you don’t speak much Korean, you can get still enjoy food and shopping at Itaewon and Myeongdong. If you’re a catholic, you can check out Myeongdong Cathedral. You can use cards in paying for most shops but for purchasing in shops where cards are not allowed, I suggest you exchange your foreign currencies near the gate of Chinese Embassy in Myeongdong. These foreign exchange shops advertise their exchange rates outside, so it’s easy to compare which one can give the best rates. You can also check out the famous Namdaemun Market for more shopping and street food by a short train ride from Myeongdong, but I like to walk there when the weather is nice. Walking to Namdaemun is also a good way to build up your appetite and save money, as food in Myeongdong is priced higher.

igosolo
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Thanks so much for all the great tips! The Seoul subway does sound really convenient. I'll definitely rely on that for getting around. Itaewon and Myeongdong were already on my list but it's good to know they're budget-friendly too. Really appreciate the currency exchange and street food market recommendations as well. 

One more question - would you recommend getting a local tour guide for any part of the trip? I'm wondering if that could be a good way to hit some of the main spots and learn more about the culture and history from a local perspective. Anything I should consider if looking into tour guide options?

JustDani
(Newbie)
Originally Posted by: igosolo 

Thanks so much for all the great tips! The Seoul subway does sound really convenient. I'll definitely rely on that for getting around. Itaewon and Myeongdong were already on my list but it's good to know they're budget-friendly too. Really appreciate the currency exchange and street food market recommendations as well. 

One more question - would you recommend getting a local tour guide for any part of the trip? I'm wondering if that could be a good way to hit some of the main spots and learn more about the culture and history from a local perspective. Anything I should consider if looking into tour guide options?

While not the most inexpensive area, Myeongdong does have some more affordable options, like the underground shopping center. The historic Namdaemun market is just a short 10-minute walk away. The first few days, exploring the lively neighborhoods of Myeongdong and Itaewon on your own, can be a great way to get acquainted with the local culture. However, for trips to other parts of the city, you may find it worthwhile to engage a local guide familiar with the area.

Should any medical issues arise during your independent travels, dialing 1339 connects you with English-speaking doctors at the emergency information center, ready to advise on necessary steps. In cases requiring ambulance or fire department assistance, 119 is the number to call. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable visit, exploring all that Seoul has to offer!

igosolo
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Thanks again for the suggestions. After looking at this article about hiring local guides in South Korea https://gowithguide.com/blog/hiring-a-guide-in-south-korea-pros-and-cons-5288  I think it could be worthwhile to engage one for parts of my trip, especially if I want to visit some areas outside the main tourist spots. I'm interested in places with more cultural significance that a guide could provide better context for. Really appreciate your local insight!