IanWight
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
The tour is called “Japan revealed” and it certainly was as we were guided around this delightful country by holiday director Damian Stent who did a superb job. He set up a WhatsApp group and each evening sent out an extremely detailed pdf giving us our detailed itinerary for the next day. We were the first JY tour in Japan post Covid, although there was a TS group a few days ahead of us. If Damian encountered any teething problems these were well handled and sorted so that we knew nothing about them. I had travelled with Damian previously and hope our paths cross again at some date.

I originally booked this trip in February 2022, 14 months ahead of the departure date, because I specifically wanted to catch “Hanami” and the cherry blossom season. Others, from conversation, booked well before this the moral being that if you want to catch the blossom you need to book (very) early. That said you can’t control nature and the blossom was un-seasonally early this year although we did catch the end of it.

On the original booking my flights were provisionally with Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. I made a tentative enquiry about premium economy but this was only on offer on the London – Hong Kong leg so I let that one pass as I had previously flown that route with Cathay Pacific with excellent service in economy. Between booking and departure flights were changed to Air France via Paris. A tentative enquiry about premium economy came back with the answer “full up” but I was given a quote for business class but as this would have paid for another trip, or three, I settled for economy. We had an e-mail about online check in and seat choice, procedures that were very easy to follow. However, someone in the group at the online check in stage did check out upgrades, given my earlier quote I didn’t bother, and got an upgrade to business for a shade under £800.00 which they considered to be very good value considering it was an overnight flight and the fare in economy was somewhat underwhelming The return flights were essentially a very long day but this time in a more modern airbus where the flight and fare was altogether much better. That said I see that on future trips flights are noted as being with Emirates via Dubai but elsewhere as being with Cathay Pacific – prepare for changes! On our return then getting to Southampton in time for a Solent crossing that evening was pretty much nigh on impossible so I had only a short walk to the Premier Inn T4 and was getting my head down whilst the rest of the group made their weary way home.

The e-mail about flight check in procedures also included advice that was worded to suggest we had to log information with a site “Visit Japan Web” which was no-where as easy to navigate. All I shall say is that for about 5 pages to complete to get QR codes there were around 120 pages of instructions! The bottom line being that logging information with this site is optional suggesting a fast track through immigration and customs when you arrive in Japan. In the end I opted instead for filling in 2 straightforward forms on the ‘plane. Disembarking in Tokyo then clutching my forms I was in the same slow moving snake-like line as those clutching their QR codes who got through no faster than those with forms! After a check of the passport and immigration form, and the usual photo and fingerprint, my passport had a nice Mt Fuji passport stamp and I was on my merry way to baggage reclaim. Customs was similarly easy to pass through with my non tech form.

Japan has only recently opened up post Covid and whilst mask wearing is no longer compulsory many Japanese chose to still wear masks including those in front facing hospitality roles. Many restaurants still had plastic screens and hand sprays and gel were everywhere. All in all it all seemed very safe.

A word about baggage which was not too clear in the pre-trip information. The background being that the shinkansen (bullet train) is not laid out for groups with large suitcases and as you can set your watches by the times of shinkansen arrivals and departures these are trains which wait for no-one. So for 3 nights, a one night and then 2 nights, it is hand luggage only. My hand luggage is a full camera bag but fortunately I had a plastic bag for the one-nighter then picked up a couple of small tote bags for the two-nighter.   

As for the group itself then it was made up of 28 ladies and 2 men plus Damian. Ages ranged from, ahem, forties through to late seventies. Everyone got on well and found their own comfort zones within the group. There is a fair bit of walking especially to, from and around temples and shrines but nothing too onerous.

I had visited Japan previously but this was my first organised tour there and an opportunity to see this delightful country with different eyes. Having spent some time in Tokyo previously I opted out of the tour there on day three to meet up with a Japanese friend I had not seen for some years and enjoy a leisurely day and lunch before re-joining the group for the evening meal and cruise. Talking to people afterwards then with so much to see in Tokyo an extra day there would have been nice but it is appreciated that this would involve extra cost and there is a fine line between an attractive holiday cost and one that does not attract custom.

I won’t give a day by day blow of what we did as this is very much in line with what you read in the brochure and online. However a few memorable and outstanding moments:-

• Images of Mt Fuji are everywhere and for many this was a highlight of the trip. Our day there was in glorious weather, so much so that they opened the highest viewing area for the first time this year on the day of our visit.

• Without dwelling on the events that led to the event of 6th August 1945 the visit to the bombing site in Hiroshima is very moving. As well as the outside memorials there is a Peace Museum which takes you through the events of the day and the long lasting aftermath.

• There were several shrines and temples but for me my personal highlights were Kinkaku-ji (the Golden Pavilion) in Kyoto and Miyajima Island home of the floating shrine of Itsukushima.

How much money do I need is a frequent question here. The answer is a bit like how long is a piece of string! However, most of us found Japan a lot less expensive than we imagined. Very few of the hotels had bars so there was little opportunity for late night indulgence. I gave up drinking during lockdown so when asking for an alcohol free beer got too complicated I often settled for a soft drink. I picked up the usual array of magnets and souvenirs last time I was here so this may not be too helpful for the first time visitor but I got £600.00 worth of Yen before I left and brought nearly half of it back. Many meals are included and where we stopped for a buy your own lunch this was often at a supermarket where a sandwich and a drink were quite cheap and in Kyoto where we had several buy your own dinners there is a mall with an array of restaurants opposite where you can eat well for around £10.00. The rest of your spending is up to you!

Finally Japan is a country where raw fish is the norm and whilst vegetarianism is known it is not widely practiced. We had some who were veggie and also had gluten intolerances. They were catered for but from what I heard those affected thought their selections were sometimes a bit bland. This did not affect me so I shall leave it to those affected to add anything they feel is relevant.

We had a variety of local guides all of whom were delightful and gave well informed commentaries.

All in all a superb tour and one that I would highly recommend.

Thanks again to Damian for guiding us safely around and thanks also to my travelling companions for their company.

Ian

We had a variety of local guides all of whom were delightful and gave well informed commentaries.

All in all a superb tour and one that I would highly recommend.

Thanks again to Damian for guiding us safely around and thanks also to my travelling companions for their company.

Ian

Ian