nige0556
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hi

myself would love to go to Vienna, Munich and Stockholm so that I could visit the abba museum, however I too would not put £700 - £800 into a 3 or 4 night city break, rather do the long haul with JY/Travelsphere and anything shorter put together myself

regards

Dave

I agree with that - I'm doing a 4 nighter in Stockholm for a sporting event end of September, and my SAS flight and the hotel near the central station totals About £380. I know that I have no tour manager or transfers, but it's half of the prices for some city breaks (and it's a weekend), but then I am a confident solo traveller

SarahS
(Member)
I agree with Nige and Dave. The current costs of city breaks, in particular the long haul ones are prohibitively high in proportion to the longer tours. I am still reeling from the cost of the two night add on in New York after my New England tour. More than twice the Internet price quoted for room and breakfast, and it didn't even include a return transfer to the airport. Come on JY I am sure you could d better
Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy

Well, I suppose that they managed to give you some sort of vegetarian meal in Poland.

Hope to meet you on one of these trips

Kind regards

Di

Mick W
(Member)
'nige0556' wrote:

'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hi

myself would love to go to Vienna, Munich and Stockholm so that I could visit the abba museum, however I too would not put £700 - £800 into a 3 or 4 night city break, rather do the long haul with JY/Travelsphere and anything shorter put together myself

regards

Dave

I agree with that - I'm doing a 4 nighter in Stockholm for a sporting event end of September, and my SAS flight and the hotel near the central station totals About £380. I know that I have no tour manager or transfers, but it's half of the prices for some city breaks (and it's a weekend), but then I am a confident solo traveller

As i said earlier i do my own City breaks because of length and cost, my Berlin trip is cocting just over £300 (+ avios points) and thats 4 star hotel with breakfast plus flights from my local airport (Leeds/Bradford).

One other person read about it on my travel blog and had some avios points and is now joining me but flying from Scotland (we'll meet at heathrow), a couple of others have also shown interest in joining us.

Saying that we are experienced travellers so don't have the same requirement for a tour manager, and realise sorting out stuff like transfers is part of the reason we can do it cheaper.

JY do provide good holidays (i've 2 booked, Tuscany & Cuba) and I think many are very good value, its just the shorter ones that dont do it for me, especially when adding the cost of getting to London airports.

I'm currently costing up a cheap option of a week in New York, not been for 10 years and always said i'd go back with enough time to explore properly.

katy1717
(Member)
Just reading this thread reminds me why I haven't done a JY City break. Agree with SarahS, Nige, Dave and Mick and others. Its the cost. Just looking in the brochure now, the 3 night ("4 days") City break in Florence costs £800-£900 (depending on when you travel). I went to Florence independently a couple of years ago for 7 nights, flight to Pisa airport, took the train on to Florence, stayed in a comfortable central Florence hotel and with expenses (lunches, snacks, trips using the trains and buses, entry to Museums etc) the whole week came out at about what JY charge for 3 nights.

I would also describe myself, as Nigel does, as a confident solo traveller (especially in Europe and the US).

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Dina' wrote:

Hi Cindy

Well, I suppose that they managed to give you some sort of vegetarian meal in Poland.

Hope to meet you on one of these trips

Kind regards

Di

Di

I can always get by, but I do remember it involved many different ways a cooking with beetroot!!!...

You never know we might bump into each other one day,

Cindy

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
Short breaks don't work for me either.

I have to kennel two dogs which makes short holidays and weekends away really, really bad value!

wesspan
(Member)
Hello,

Apart from Athens and Tallinn, I've not heard of any of the cities you mentioned. One place which I've read articles about recently is Copenhagen - apparently that is very pretty and compact. I've noticed JY currently do not offer many trips to Germany - what about adding other cities such as Frankfurt, Munich or Dresden to the list?

Like others on this thread have mentioned, I too find that a JY City Break is more expensive (and not as good value in terms of included meals and excursions) as other holidays, particularly the Tours. I have booked the Berlin break mainly because I have never travelled abroad alone before, but with some experience I would probably book short breaks independently in future.

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Alicia

I quite fancy Mick's suggestion of the 3 Baltic cities. I also fancy a weekend in Dubrovnik.

Here's hoping...

Regards

Sylvia

Eljay
  • (Member)
(Member)
'JY wrote:

Hi All

Hope you all had a great Easter ?

Myself and the team are looking forward to 2016 and this week we are looking at potential new city breaks , id love to hear your comments on featuring tours to lesser known cities?

A couple of ideas have come to mind; Gdansk, Thessaloniki, Zagreb, Athens , Bratislava , Innsbruck and Tallinn. to name a few .

Id love to hear your thoughts

Thank you

Alicia

Hi Alicia,

I would be interested in Tallinn but none of the others. Would also like to do Riga or French and Getman cities other than Paris and Berlin. Hope this helps!

TimJohn
(Member)
'JY wrote:

Hi All

Myself and the team are looking forward to 2016 and this week we are looking at potential new city breaks , id love to hear your comments on featuring tours to lesser known cities?

A couple of ideas have come to mind; Gdansk, Thessaloniki, Zagreb, Athens , Bratislava , Innsbruck and Tallinn. to name a few .

Thank you

Alicia

Could we have city trips to Moscow; St Petersburg; Shanghai; Beijing; Tokyo; Dublin please. Thank you

TimJohn
(Member)
How about; Moscow; St Petersburg; Shanghai; Beijing; Tokyo; Dublin?
SarahS
(Member)
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Dublin came up in 2012 with the anniversary of Titanic. The trip went to Dublin first then onto Belfast for the anniversary. I could not make the dates that they had and it went from the tours after that which was such a shame as I would love to do it. Dublin was last in 1965, Mum was pregnant with my brother and he is 50 in November. Belfast- flown over it en route to Canada- does that count :)

Jan

KarinR
(Member)
The Innsbruck trip would be one I would look at, have always fancied going to Austria.
janets
(Member)
'JY wrote:

Hi All

Thank you

Alicia

Hi Alicia,

What about some city breaks to North America? I'd had some lovely visits to Canada with you before (Toronto & Niagara) and across Canada (ending up in Vancouver)with TS. How about Vancouver with Settle or Toronto with Ottowa and Thunder Bay/Lake Superior?

Janet

Bosuncat
(Member)
I never got to Toronto when I went with friends to the U.P although we were planning to. That would be a great city break I agree.
marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Warsaw, Zagreb are the ones that come to mind and maybe Prague as well.

Mark