RogertheRed
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Over the past few days the cost of a 15 day visa to Nepal has risen from £20 to £25.

It's a very simple procedure to obtain it yourself and as a bonus it will save you at least £23 on JY's charge, giving you extra money for beer/wine.

You need to download an application form, attach a photo, enclose a £25.00 postal order (cost £28.13) include a sae (I would recommend Royal Mail Special Delivery) cost £6.60 plus the same amount to send it. Total cost £41.33.

Regards,

Roger

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Roger,

I was interested to see your tip on obtaining a visa prior to departure,  as I am going back to Nepal shortly (not with JY). I'm presuming you got this info from the Nepalese Embassy in London, and that you actually have to send it to them, along with your passport (which is not an option for me as I need it for other earilier trips).

On looking online, it is possible to download a tourist visa form from the www.nepalimmigration.gov.np prior to going (saves on having to have it done at Kathmandu Airport and join long queues). You need to be able to upload a passport photo, have the address of your hotel etc. etc. When you Submit it, you get a Submission Receipt with a barcode, which you print out and take with you to the airport where you get your visa. The cost is now $30 USD (£25 on my exchange rate) for a 15 day visa. You need to do it near to the time you are going.

Perhaps somebody who has used this method (I haven't yet!) could post on whether this is a quick (and much cheaper!) way of getting your visa?

Hope this helps anyone else going to Nepal - it's a wonderful country - enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

trisho
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

Hi Roger,

I was interested to see your tip on obtaining a visa prior to departure,  as I am going back to Nepal shortly (not with JY). I'm presuming you got this info from the Nepalese Embassy in London, and that you actually have to send it to them, along with your passport (which is not an option for me as I need it for other earilier trips).

On looking online, it is possible to download a tourist visa form from the www.nepalimmigration.gov.np prior to going (saves on having to have it done at Kathmandu Airport and join long queues). You need to be able to upload a passport photo, have the address of your hotel etc. etc. When you Submit it, you get a Submission Receipt with a barcode, which you print out and take with you to the airport where you get your visa. The cost is now $30 USD (£25 on my exchange rate) for a 15 day visa. You need to do it near to the time you are going.

Perhaps somebody who has used this method (I haven't yet!) could post on whether this is a quick (and much cheaper!) way of getting your visa?

Hope this helps anyone else going to Nepal - it's a wonderful country - enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Hi Hils. 

I think that it would be a quicker ( relatively) way of obtaining your visa. It would certainly bypass the  first and longest queue encountered  at Kathmandu airport which was to input all of those details into one of the two computer terminals they have now installed for visas on arrival ( they kept crashing and needing rebooting when I was there earlier this year). The queue for payment was relatively rapid if you had the correct money and then you joined a third queue to obtain the visa in your passport before approaching immigration .HTH Trish

Ps Still my favourite country of all I have visited

discovrer
(Member)
You can actually take the form (filled in plus photo) to the Nepalese Embassy yourself in Kensington Palace Gardens and have it sanctioned while you wait, which is what I done. Total cost £25 for the 30-day visa commencing on the date you specify. Just make sure you go to the correct embassy address (12A not 12!) and head for the basement which is accessed from the outside.
Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'discovrer' wrote:

You can actually take the form (filled in plus photo) to the Nepalese Embassy yourself in Kensington Palace Gardens and have it sanctioned while you wait, which is what I done. Total cost £25 for the 30-day visa commencing on the date you specify. Just make sure you go to the correct embassy address (12A not 12!) and head for the basement which is accessed from the outside.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, but as I live 500 miles away, not practical!

Cheers,

Hils