mikew
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have had occasion to use the National Express coach service for getting to and from Heathrow airport for my recent holiday to Hawaii. I would recommend that anyone using this service build in plenty of time in both outward and return schedules, allowing for any delays en route to your departure airport and flight delays on your return. This might seem to be stating the obvious but on this occasion my outbound coach, due to arrive at Birmingham airport at 03.20hrs, did not arrive until 04.15hrs. Consequently, I arrived at Heathrow 1hr later than planned at 06.30hrs although still in plenty of time for check-in at 07.25hrs. My point is that whilst people may expect motorway problems etc to delay their journey en route, they might reasonably expect National Express to stick to their schedule at the beginning of the journey. Birmingham airport, being only a few miles from the coach station in Birmingham city centre, was 2nd stop on the journey to LHR. When the coach did finally arrive, no reason or apology for the delay was given so I still don't know why the coach failed to arrive on time at BHX. On a more positive note, the return journey was punctual with no problems whatsoever.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I always allow plenty of time when I use National Express coach service. I rather arrive too early than late.

Jaya

Chrissam
(Member)
Hi Mike

I have been on 6 holidays with Just You and have travelled through Birmingham to Heathrow each time. What I have done on 5 occasions is travel the day before and stay overnight I know this adds to the cost but I make it the start of my holiday, I try to get a good deal usually at a Premier Inn. It takes away all the stress of getting to the airport on the morning of the flight and you get a good nights sleep. I do find the journey home tiresome as you can wait around several hours for your coach, timings have worked usually with only one missed connection.

Chris

Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Mike.

Pretty much like the others I guess. I use National Express to get down to the airports, usually Gatwick in recent years, and nearly always it's for an overnight stop at the airport. For what can be close to a 5 hour journey I would be very worried about travelling down overnight.

Interestingly re Birmingham. I have a friend who lives near there who comes over to see me fairly often. She won't use NE at all because she has been very badly let down in the past on connections through Birmingham. :huh:

the_baron1
(Member)
Great service from National Express and as many of you know a lot cheaper to book through JY rather than direct with National Express. My partner and myself have used this facility with JY and Travelsphere to travel to Heathrow and back again going on holiday a number of times.

Eric