helens
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am doing the 'Amazing Australia' trip and realise that there aren't many meals included. I believe Australia is quite expensive, so can anyone give me a rough idea of how much money I need to budget for meals. I have pre-booked most of the excursions, so am really trying to work out how much cash I need to take.

Thanks for any help.

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Helens

what date are you going on, i'm on Nov 13th, can't wait isn't the word, have also heard Australia quite expensive so am taking roughly a thousand pound in dollars and my cards for maybe any purchases, am sure when in the cities there will many fast food outlets like mcdonalds and kfc and other times when will have to use restaurants so I expect to mix and match a bit, what excursions have you booked? I want to book that kuranda skyrail and unsure yet about the alice springs bbq so shall take cash to cover them too when there

Dave

Auntie D
(Member)
'helens' wrote:

I am doing the 'Amazing Australia' trip and realise that there aren't many meals included. I believe Australia is quite expensive, so can anyone give me a rough idea of how much money I need to budget for meals. I have pre-booked most of the excursions, so am really trying to work out how much cash I need to take.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Helens,

I do know that in the cities, eg Sydney, there are Food Halls where you can choose anything from Chinese, Italian, Indian, etc., from various sections, all at very cheap prices.

Try googling where you will be visiting to get an idea of what the restaurants are like, they are usually grouped into $,$$,$$$ prices, so you should be able to get some idea of where to eat relatively cheaply.

Good luck.

Denise

:thumbup:

Puer aeternus
(Member)
I lived in Sydney for 6 years, food and other prices are more or less the same as in the UK. There are, as mentioned, plenty of cheap food halls to eat in , with a far wider variety of ethnic foods than you find in Britain. In Sydney, visit Chinatown, its small but brilliant. Loads of good food at cheap prices. Also lebanese, philipino, nepalese, all in the central area of Sydeny.

Other main cities like Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth are much the same.

Australia is one of the best countries in the world to live in, I'm sure you'll love it.

Don't forget youe sunnies (sunglasses) thongs (flipflops) & budgies (swimming costume!)

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have been to Australia, and it is my favourite country to see......I have been on the Karunda really good, I did not do Alice springs....Loved Ayres rock and Sydney.. Meals range n price just like here, really does depend on your food taste you can eat cheap or dear it's up too you... I always take cash money and my credit cards..... I plan on the assumption I won't be going back so I might as well break the bank while I am there.

Have a great time

Cindy

Puer aeternus
(Member)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hi Helens

what date are you going on, i'm on Nov 13th, can't wait isn't the word, have also heard Australia quite expensive so am taking roughly a thousand pound in dollars and my cards for maybe any purchases, am sure when in the cities there will many fast food outlets like mcdonalds and kfc and other times when will have to use restaurants so I expect to mix and match a bit, what excursions have you booked? I want to book that kuranda skyrail and unsure yet about the alice springs bbq so shall take cash to cover them too when there

Dave

Also, when your in Sydney, if you get a chance, try to go to Harry's Cafe de Wheels in Woolloomooloo for a pie floater......at night, you might even bump into someone famous!

There's also a brilliant Krispy Kreme shop in the City Central area, if you have a sweet tooth.

AbbaDave
(Member)
'Puer wrote:

'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hi Helens

Dave

Also, when your in Sydney, if you get a chance, try to go to Harry's Cafe de Wheels in Woolloomooloo for a pie floater......at night, you might even bump into someone famous!

There's also a brilliant Krispy Kreme shop in the City Central area, if you have a sweet tooth.

wheres that Puer, Harrys café in Sydney, is Woolloomooloo a place ( that's a mouth full) if I take a note of this a taxi driver would take us there, regards dave

Puer aeternus
(Member)
"wheres that Puer, Harrys café in Sydney, is Woolloomooloo a place ( that's a mouth full) if I take a note of this a taxi driver would take us there, regards dave"

Hi Dave,

Yes, Woolloomooloo is a place in Sydney! In fact its a nice area of Central Sydeny, down by the dockish area, a taxi driver would know exactly where it is and where Harry's cafe de wheels is. From the centre of sydney its a 5-10 min ride, at the most.

There's even websites on it!

Check these out:

http://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/location/woolloomooloo 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry 's_Cafe_de_Wheels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolloomooloo,_New_South_Wales 

AbbaDave
(Member)
'Puer wrote:

"wheres that Puer, Harrys café in Sydney, is Woolloomooloo a place ( that's a mouth full) if I take a note of this a taxi driver would take us there, regards dave"

Hi Dave,

Yes, Woolloomooloo is a place in Sydney! In fact its a nice area of Central Sydeny, down by the dockish area, a taxi driver would know exactly where it is and where Harry's cafe de wheels is. From the centre of sydney its a 5-10 min ride, at the most.

There's even websites on it!

Check these out:

http://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/location/woolloomooloo 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry 's_Cafe_de_Wheels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolloomooloo,_New_South_Wales 

Thanks Puers

looks fab will take a note of this and try and get down there, am always looking for something different and off the tourist route

daphnemca
(Member)
Was in Sydney last year in March and was prepared for expensive eating. Was pleasantly surprised tho. We ate in pubs (sometimes called hotels) for dinner and sometimes for lunch even round The Rocks and Circular Quay. Cost was £7-10 even for steak, most pubs had a daily special or two. Sandwiches, etc in coffee shops were much the same price as at home. I expect the pub hotels are cheap to eat in all Aussie cities. Restaurants are very expensive. However alcoholic drinks are about 50% more in pubs than at home.
Gran
  • (Member)
(Member)
'helens' wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Helens,

I am going on a 11th March tour. Breakfast is usually included when staying at hotels. My understanding from reading the intenrary is a couple of dinners (like bbq) are included in the holiday price, I may be wrong. We need to worry about paying for lunches and dinners.

Don't forget approx 4 days out of a 22 day tour will be spent in air, we have already paid for brkfsts, lunches and dinners. I guess we may get some sort of food during the internal flights too.

Being a vegetarian and teetotaller, I am allowing myself £50 per day for meals. I will be taking AUD cash, a debit and credit cards with me. To give an example, £300 = $575.85.

Hope this helps.

Dyuti