IanWight
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Well this trip was a long time coming!

Originally booked for March 2000 I was all geared up to travel then when the world shut down! Covid postponed the re-booking to March 2021 and then when re-booked to March 2022 I found myself heading to surgery instead so with a full travel diary for later in the year I plumped for the 2 June departure.

Was it worth the wait? Absolutely!

Firstly a couple of negatives both of which were out of JY’s control and relate to flight issues:-

• We had groups coming in from Birmingham, Manchester and London however Jet2 who were flying our Birmingham travellers decided to put on a smaller ‘plane for the outward flight meaning that 30 odd passengers including 5 of our group got bounced off. They arrived next day but missed the day in Malaga. I was not affected by this so will not comment further save that I understand from those affected that the CEO of Jet2 is now involved. I hope those affected get a satisfactory conclusion.

• On the return leg the London bound passengers had something of an adventure. I would have thought that a BA Airbus was big enough and easy to spot but evidently not for some hapless Spanish baggage handler who managed to hit it with his truck! Suffice to say we could not fly and were bussed off to a hotel for the night. The only redeeming feature of said hotel was that it was big enough to accommodate a plane load of disgruntled passengers. The room furniture was of the type I would have been embarrassed to take to the tip and the cooked breakfast was inedible. The BA captain was very good in keeping us informed until we deplaned but the same could not be said for the ground staff who merely handed out bits of paper and told us to go to the web site and manage my bookings. Flights back were eventually sorted for next day with some returning to Heathrow whilst I found myself headed to Gatwick. I live on the Isle of Wight so both airports are equally (in)convenient but I managed to get a slow train to Southampton and did make it back home before the last Solent crossing.

Now a Covid update, this was as it was for my trip and it needs to be remembered this is an ever changing situation:-

• Prior to travel I ‘phoned 119 and got my NHS Covid pass to show I was fully vaccinated. On arrival in Malaga we passed through a check point where they checked Covid status. I merely showed my bit of paper and was waved through.

• There was no Covid check returning to Spain from Gibraltar.

• Masks are obligatory on public transport and in certain places such as chemists.

• As for tour buses then whilst drivers are obliged to wear a mask we were told it was only necessary for us to wear a mask getting on and off. Most drivers were fairly relaxed about this though

A pre covid post about this tour suggests the hotel was a bit tired. I found it perfectly acceptable and it needs to be borne in mind that hotels have had a severe Covid cash flow problem and it will take a good while to recover from this. The room was clean and comfortable with tea and coffee facilities for that early morning brew. The restaurant was a buffet at both breakfast and dinner. For both meals there was a good variety of foods with no limit on the number of times you could serve yourself. Some people did eat out on occasion but I believe that was to ring the changes.

Our TM was Gina who was a lovely lady who had worked for JY for many years. She lives in Spain and with fluent Spanish was able to resolve any issues.

There is a little supermarket across the road and I found water there was much cheaper than anywhere else.

In a lot of the places we went the streets and walkways are stones embedded in concrete and are not smooth. Comfortable footwear is a must.

I won’t do a day by day account of exactly what we did but:-

• For anyone interested in art the Picasso museum in Malaga is a must.

• Too many people just associate Spain with the multi storey hotels that are on the coast. You only need to go inland a couple of miles to see the real Spain and once away from the coast routes we saw some delightful scenery.

• Ronda is not to be missed. Away from the shops the old town is full of character with lots of alleys and side streets to explore.

• The Alhambra palace is steeped in history and is, again, not to be missed. We had an excellent guide who handed out earpieces and receivers so we did not miss her commentary. She was full of enthusiasm with a great personality and was one of the best guides I have ever had. There was the option to go afterwards to Granada but this involved a lot of walking and as it was a Sunday we might not get into the cathedral which was the main attraction so the unanimous decision was to head back to the hotel.

• Of the village trips to Frigiliana and Nerja I much preferred the rustic charm of the former but each to their own and I did enjoy a nice lunch in the latter.

• I had not been to Gibraltar for 30 plus years so it was like seeing it with fresh eyes. Again we had an excellent guide who kept us entertained as well as informed. Several of the apes that inhabit the rock had young babies with them and the light show in the caves was very impressive.

• Finally Mijas is a delightful little place. Because I did all the other trips and excursions I did not see it properly until the last day but it was well worth the wait.

So would I go again? With unlimited resources then yes but in the real world there are other places to see but I heartily recommend it to others. With thanks to my fellow travellers for their company.

Barb W
(Member)
Just want to add a few comments to Ian's excellent review. I have looked at this holiday many times & happy that I finally decided to go for it, & I wasn't disappointed!

The hotel was very good, my room with balcony was well appointed, & communal areas clean, bright & comfortable. Outside was a lovely pool & bar area with plenty of seating.

TM Gina was knowledgeable, friendly, & always willing to help or advise.

Yes the plane damage & cancellation was disappointing, but didn't impact too much on an enjoyable holiday spent with a great fun group of people.

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ian

Glad you are well and back travelling.  This was one of my first JY holidays and good to see it is still as good. 

Chris

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jonah' wrote:

Hi Ian

Glad you are well and back travelling.  This was one of my first JY holidays and good to see it is still as good. 

Chris

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you and hope you are well post pandemic. The problem with the return flight in no way impacted on the holiday (are JY trips holidays or adventures?) and I enjoyed the opportunities to venture not too far inland to enjoy the real Spain.

Over the next few months I have USA National parks, S Africa and japan so we may cross paths on future travels.

Best, Ian.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ian,

Like Chris I did this tour years ago - it was my first JY tour back in 2010!  I very much enjoyed it - at that time some people complained about the hotel and especially the food, but I found both to be fine.  Buffets tend to be a bit "samey" but I liked the fact that the staff would re-cork unfinished wine and it could be consumed the following evening!  We had an "interesting" return journey too: Spanish unions called a lightning 24 hour national strike and we had to get a bus to Madrid (12 hour journey!) and fly from there.  Claire, our TM, was brilliant in helping us to rebook regional flights.

Mijas is a delightful little town and I particularly enjoyed the trips to Frigiliana and Gibraltar.

Happy travels!

Bob

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Ian,

Like Chris I did this tour years ago - it was my first JY tour back in 2010!  I very much enjoyed it - at that time some people complained about the hotel and especially the food, but I found both to be fine.  Buffets tend to be a bit "samey" but I liked the fact that the staff would re-cork unfinished wine and it could be consumed the following evening!  We had an "interesting" return journey too: Spanish unions called a lightning 24 hour national strike and we had to get a bus to Madrid (12 hour journey!) and fly from there.  Claire, our TM, was brilliant in helping us to rebook regional flights.

Mijas is a delightful little town and I particularly enjoyed the trips to Frigiliana and Gibraltar.

Happy travels!

Bob

Hi Bob,

As I said to Jonah a JY trip can be more of an adventure than a holiday!

Mijas is a thoroughly delightful little town with lots of lovely little streets to explore.

The hotel will still re-cork wine for the following night - not something I tried as I don't drink indoors on my own and realised during lockdown that i had not had a drink for months. i just have not gone back but did discover the hotel had an acceptable alcohol free bottled beer.

Best, Ian

AlisonK
(Newbie)
Thanks Ian for replying.  Your review was very helpful and I have now booked to go next April. 
IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Alison,

Glad you found it helpful, enjoy your trip.

Ian

ROSE19999
(Newbie)
Thanks for your great review Ian. This is on my wish list but will probably have to be 2025 as I have a lot planned already for 2024. Fingers crossed JY will still be offering it then.
Matty
  • (Newbie)
(Newbie)
If it helps anyone, I was there I  October 2023 and had a great time. It was my second JY holiday (met Bob Gray I  my first to Malta) and have more booked for next year. The hotel was really lovely and Jacqui our Tour Manager was excellent 
elvpak
  • (Newbie)
(Newbie)
I've just booked to go on this holiday in June and can't wait! I did my first JY trip in November and have definitely been bitten by the bug now. 

Many thanks for the comprehensive review.

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Originally Posted by: elvpak 

I've just booked to go on this holiday in June and can't wait! I did my first JY trip in November and have definitely been bitten by the bug now. 

Many thanks for the comprehensive review.

Glad you found it useful. Any questions feel free to ask.

ROSE19999
(Newbie)
Originally Posted by: ROSE19999 

Thanks for your great review Ian. This is on my wish list but will probably have to be 2025 as I have a lot planned already for 2024. Fingers crossed JY will still be offering it then.

Well as fate would have it, one of my trips has been cancelled so I am now able to do this one in September. Very disappointed my Solos Classical Italy Tour (not with JY) has been cancelled, but really pleased to be able to fit this one in now. I look forward to meeting up with fellow travellers in September. And who knows, by 2025 JY may be offering the Italian tour that Travelsphere currently offer and I can do that!! 

Marie Blackstock
(Member)
Hi Barb, I have finally decided to book this holiday. A bit nervous though going it alone as a female. Does a JY rep meet you at your airport, mine is East Midlands. Did you find it easy to mix with the other travellers. Mari
IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Originally Posted by: Marie Blackstock 

Hi Barb, I have finally decided to book this holiday. A bit nervous though going it alone as a female. Does a JY rep meet you at your airport, mine is East Midlands. Did you find it easy to mix with the other travellers. Mari

Hi Mari,

Replying as I did the original review.

I have never used East Midlands airport but if JY say there will be someone to assist with check in I would expect someone to be there.  I often need to stay overningt the night before and can check in early but have always found someone from ground staff to assist if needed.

As for mixing then when I did this trip:-

1. Some people met fellow travellers on the way out - JY tags on luggage help identify each other,

2. There was a welcome meeting the first evening in the bar area giving you a chance to meet fellow travellers,

3. In the restaurant we had 3, as I recall, large tables reserved so that you did not eat alone,

4. For breakfast people wandered down when ready. First down took one of the tables and others joined until the table was full so the next one started a new table and so on. You tended to breakfast with different people each day

5. Before dinner people tended to meet in the bar first and then drifted down as hunger took hold.  Little groups formed but you were always on a shared table. After dinner some went into town and others returned to the bar. 

6. there was no need to be alone - unless of course you wanted to!

7. Also not everyone did every excursion so you often had different travellers on each trip out.

Hope that helps, Ian

Marie Blackstock
(Member)
Thank you Ian, your post is a great help. Looking forward to the adventure more now.

Mari

Marie Blackstock
(Member)
Daft question.  Is there a kettle in the rooms? 
IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Originally Posted by: Marie Blackstock 

Daft question.  Is there a kettle in the rooms? 

Hi Marie,

Not a daft question at all - but you may get a daft answer! After a while memories of hotel rooms all blur into one! I certainly didn't take a kettle. I do my own notes of trips and the Victor Meldrew in me can often moan in those notes about a lack of tea/coffee facilities but ny notes are silent on this point suggesting there may well have been a kettle. However, I may well be wrong and if you want a brew in your room then a travel kettle does not take up that much space. So far as the ingredients for a brew are concerned then unless you are fussy about a particular tea/coffee the little supermarket across the road should carry all you need for a brew. Ian

Marie Blackstock
(Member)
Thanks Ian, I have a travel kettle so will pack it,  Enjoy whichever trip you are doing next. Mari
Marie Blackstock
(Member)
Thanks Ian, I will take my travel kettle in that case.  Enjoy your future travels, Mari