jintzky
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
It has taken me a few weeks to gather my thoughts together re my Christmas/New Year break - on the whole I enjoyed it - excursions to where I wanted to go, met up with old friends (some unexpectedly!), comfortable hotel (although not 4* - JY please amend brochure) which was clean, staff delightful, food good and plentiful. The spa was strange though - you had to pay 5 euros and was only for a sole visit or one other person (!), just a plunge pool with water jets and a very efficient steam room and lovely relaxation area. The jacuzzies on the roof were not heated, nor the outside pool (normal for time of year).  My request for a room high up with a view was given and I was SO glad!! A side view of the sea from balcony was a treat!! Many rooms had no view at all - so its always worth asking!

We did not have an audio guide (as described in brochure) nor any kind of guide.  Our tour manager advised us she was not a tour guide but did arm us with maps etc. and gave us info on coach (does anyone listen?). We had ample time in Barcelona, Monsterrat and Figueres but an audio guide would have been helpful.

The village of Calella is not pretty, however had great walks along the beach in the sun and once I found the old centre with shops and Church my view changed a bit!!  Its handy for the train station where we took the train to Blanes on day - lovely place - very picturesque!  Perhaps would have been better idea to go there on Boxing Day rather than the small places we visited? Some took the train to Barcelona for a second visit on a "day off".  It was certainly good to get the balance right between lots of visits by coach and "doing our own thing"!

Our tour manager sat on her own at mealtimes.  I thought it would have been helpful (as in past holidays with JY) if she had mixed and mingled more to help those who were socially shy and also to help people mix in with the evening entertainment.  Indeed the party leader of an Irish Tour Group in the hotel was the life and soul and made our Christmas!!  Indeed our tour manager made one "faux pas" - she missed the exact strike for midnight at New Year - a total sin to the Scots in party!

My only gripe was the high age group.  I suppose expected at this time of year. Perhaps JY should adopt an "age group" holiday like other holidays companies?  It might also solve the problem of high numbers (Mijas at Christmas sounded a nightmare!).

In the absence of a holiday quessionnaire from JY I have emailed them my full comments.

There is lots of competition out there now - after taking many holidays with JY I am thinking of going with another company this year.  Many of my JY friends are doing the same.....shame. JY are changing their image, however there seems to be "something lacking" with them these days - not quite getting it right unfortunately!

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jintzky,

Thank you for your review of this trip with us. I've passed your comments to our holiday organisers, who are looking at our festive trips for 2019 at the moment, so this will be very helpful.

Apologies you haven't received a questionnaire yet, we have had a delay with them being sent out, and thanks for sending your comments by email so we can look into them.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Bosuncat
(Member)
Thanks for your generally favourable review.  Calellla like you say is not pretty, but there is good flat walking.  I really enjoyed the hotel, although I agree it is not a 4 star.  Having said that though I had better food there, and the staff were a lot friendlier than in some 4 stars!   :)

I have been concerned to read about the large group numbers for Christmas holidays.  I personally feel that even 40 in a group is too many.  I hope it is something that JY will sort out.

maria 36
(Member)
'jintzky' wrote:

It has taken me a few weeks to gather my thoughts together re my Christmas/New Year break - on the whole I enjoyed it - excursions to where I wanted to go, met up with old friends (some unexpectedly!), comfortable hotel (although not 4* - JY please amend brochure) which was clean, staff delightful, food good and plentiful. The spa was strange though - you had to pay 5 euros and was only for a sole visit or one other person (!), just a plunge pool with water jets and a very efficient steam room and lovely relaxation area. The jacuzzies on the roof were not heated, nor the outside pool (normal for time of year).  My request for a room high up with a view was given and I was SO glad!! A side view of the sea from balcony was a treat!! Many rooms had no view at all - so its always worth asking!

We did not have an audio guide (as described in brochure) nor any kind of guide.  Our tour manager advised us she was not a tour guide but did arm us with maps etc. and gave us info on coach (does anyone listen?). We had ample time in Barcelona, Monsterrat and Figueres but an audio guide would have been helpful.

The village of Calella is not pretty, however had great walks along the beach in the sun and once I found the old centre with shops and Church my view changed a bit!!  Its handy for the train station where we took the train to Blanes on day - lovely place - very picturesque!  Perhaps would have been better idea to go there on Boxing Day rather than the small places we visited? Some took the train to Barcelona for a second visit on a "day off".  It was certainly good to get the balance right between lots of visits by coach and "doing our own thing"!

Our tour manager sat on her own at mealtimes.  I thought it would have been helpful (as in past holidays with JY) if she had mixed and mingled more to help those who were socially shy and also to help people mix in with the evening entertainment.  Indeed the party leader of an Irish Tour Group in the hotel was the life and soul and made our Christmas!!  Indeed our tour manager made one "faux pas" - she missed the exact strike for midnight at New Year - a total sin to the Scots in party!

My only gripe was the high age group.  I suppose expected at this time of year. Perhaps JY should adopt an "age group" holiday like other holidays companies?  It might also solve the problem of high numbers (Mijas at Christmas sounded a nightmare!).

In the absence of a holiday quessionnaire from JY I have emailed them my full comments.

There is lots of competition out there now - after taking many holidays with JY I am thinking of going with another company this year.  Many of my JY friends are doing the same.....shame. JY are changing their image, however there seems to be "something lacking" with them these days - not quite getting it right unfortunately!

maria 36
(Member)
Hi, Your review was well thought out and very helpful thanks.

I did just want to reiterate that although the numbers in our group to Mijas was far too high (and was the overall opinion), it was n't a "nightmare" and I'm sorry if I made it sound that way.

The hotel is brilliant, good location for the beautiful village of Mijas which has a lot to offer. There is a local bus within easy reach if you wish to visit other nearby resorts.

However, after my first holiday with JY and around 32 other people, it illustrated what a difference a smaller group makes. I think the nightmare was mainly for our two tour guides who really did their best under the circumstances.

Don't be put off Mijas. I would certainly revisit. Regards from Maria.