Duncolm
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I chose this trip partly because of the timings, only one night required in London, but it ended up a great choice.

The party size was 18, luckily flying from Heathrow rather than the chaos at Gatwick. Didn’t see a JY rep in Heathrow before I used the bag drop but the TM, the excellent Pamela, introduced herself on the plane. We travelled in a large coach all week so we all had plenty space, though a smaller one would have made it more social.

The Park Hotel in Bled is wonderfully located, almost on the shore of the lake and it was about two minutes walk from the Christmas market. I thought it was excellent, the only slight criticism was that the dining area became a bit understaffed as the hotel filled up nearer Christmas day. We all got a stocking of gifts from the hotel (and another from the TM) on the day.

Just You were concerned that dancing which had been listed in the brochure wasn’t happening but that was no disappointment for me. As an alternative we were able to go to excellent free concerts at another hotel a short walk away. Instead of the carol concert we were expecting one night it turned out to be a quartet singing gospel songs unaccompanied. It wouldn’t normally be my cup of tea but those guys were so good...

Anyway we had cold but good weather for the week. Thick fog on our day in Piran was the only dampener. The sun was out for our Christmas morning carriage ride round Lake Bled, the visit to Ljubljana where we waited for the lights after dark, and our mountaintop experience via the Mount Vogel funicular. Also there was the adventure deep underground in the Postonja cave. The sun was still out for a walk all the way round Lake Bled on the last afternoon and really take in the beauty of the place.

Overall it was a super trip. One question remains after a lot of testing by the whole party. Is red or white glühwein better?

If anyone wants a look I have more photos here 

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Duncolm,

Thanks so much for your great review - I'm glad you had a good trip with us 🙂

Your photos are fantastic! Would you be happy to give permission for us to use them on our social media? We would credit with your name, of course.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Duncolm
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Duncolm,

Thanks so much for your great  review - I'm glad you had a good trip with us 🙂

Your photos are fantastic! Would you be happy to give permission for us to use them on our social media? We would credit with your name, of course.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Sure.

If you want particular shots from my website beyond those three just drop me an email.

1981Kedi
(Member)
Thank you for writing a review of Christmas at Lake Bled - a few years ago this was my first Christmas away with a Singles group - JY - and I loved it! Loved Bled so much I have been to Slovenia several times since, summer and winter. The lake view from The Park is stunning - from early morning to last thing. The concerts (at the other hotel) have always been excellent and worth the walk. I also enjoy the different forms of transport taken on this holiday - from subterranean trains to cable car to name a couple!

The group total of 'just' 18 travellers must have been a bonus. We had 40 travellers last Christmas and New Year - far too many for the coach, for excursions, toilet stops!  :s  , meals and for getting to know each other.

My view on red or white ......... Yes please  🙂 

Your photo file is outstanding - congratulations!

Hope others will be encouraged to write reviews of their Christmas/New Year holidays - views on numbers, hotels, transport, meals, excursions - please! And of course reviews for all other holidays as well. It really helps to get a broad idea of how the advertised holidays are received by different travellers.

maria 36
(Member)
Sounds great - something I will consider for next Christmas
ItalyLover
(Member)
Lovely photos! Thanks for the review.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Really beautiful photos. Thank you for the review. I am not too keen on going on a holiday when the weather is cold but your review and photos have changed my mind!

Regards

Jaya

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

Love the photos. I went to Lake Bled for Christmas in 2012 and like Kedi, have been back to Slovenia many times in both winter and summer. A great country and the food is excellent.

Regards

Sylvia

Hilary20
(Member)
Sounds great. Definitely one to consider for Christmas 2019
andydurrant
(Member)
Fantastic pics, definitely given me food for thought for next Christmas!
melanipick
(Member)
So glad this was a good trip.

I had been contemplating this one but decided I should stay at home and have my Mum over for Christmas Day. In the event, it all turned out well because instead I booked a ski trip to Austria for last week and had a great time.

I'm still wanting to do Christmas away and especially at Lake Bled so it's still on the cards for Christmas 2019.

Thanks for the review.

1981Kedi
(Member)
'melanipick' wrote:

In the event, it all turned out well because instead I booked a ski trip to Austria for last week and had a great time.

Hi

Glad your Christmas was a success and you enjoyed your skiing trip. Please can you do a Review of the skiing trip for us - general arrangements, the hotel, hired equipment, the slopes, any lessons that were taken, the Apres Ski........... At least you didn't have to worry about lack of snow    🙂  

Many thanks in advance