janib
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have just returned from my first River Cruise on board the MS Fernao de Magalhaes, a Croisi Europe ship, run by the French Company.

A flight from Gatwick with Tap Airways to Porto was well run with 23 kgs of luggage and free food box and drinks. We were met by a Rep at Gatwick who told us that there would be a Tour Manager at Porto. Ricardo / Rick and Claudia the Cruise Director met us. Half hour drive to the ship which was docked in Gaia, keys given to the crew who took us to our cabins. The TV was mostly European with CNN for news in English, and a channel for the days food and itinerary. Luckily I speak French and watched a load of films as I knew the English version.

A bar was open in the lounge for daily cocktails and all other drinks were included. You have to pay for Champagne and fine wines. All meals, lunches and dinners are 3 courses and one choice only. Caused a few problems when they were presented if you had not seen the menu. Breakfast was buffet style. Only water in the cabin, tea and coffee in the Lounge.

I went with my sister Jen, and we took the full excursion package for £310. So glad we did as Jen was adding it up as we went along, saw and experienced much that we would not have seen if we were on our own. Porto by night gave us a light show of the River and the tiles at the the main Station. The next morning was Porto by day. Palacio do Bolsa was the Commerce Hub of the old Porto, amazing place as was the Cathedral. Ferreira Port hosted us through the cellars where we had tastings. Who knew about White Port? The afternoon was free, we paid 7 Euros for a boat trip to Ribeira. Those who know me, Porto has a Hard Rock Cafe, it is a must that we found it.

We left the ship at Gaia travelling to Guimaraes by coach. Found the Castle of the Duke of Braganza then walked into town. given half hour where we found a welcome cup of coffee. Caught up with the ship at Leverinho watching it as it came through the first of 5 locks. On board and we went through Carrapatelo Lock at 36 meters, the highest in Europe.

Very excited to travel to Mateus- wrong- they use the picture of the house on the bottle, no alcohol given 😞  Vila Real was a delight, pastry and coffee in a shop, so busy with selling bread etc. Caught up with the ship in Pinhao then 2 locks in the afternoon. Stopped at Vega de Teron on the Portuguese/ Spanish border. A whole day in Salamanca was great fun, lunch was at one of the restaurants. Shown the University- oldest in Spain and the old and new Cathedrals. The next morning was free as we sailed back to Porto. Went by coach on the The Wine Route stopping at Quinta do Tedo for Port tasting. I was caught by the closing front door of the coach. Still waiting for the bruising to come out on my right thigh and buttock, incident form filled in when we got back to the ship. Coach taken out of service to see why it closed on its own.

Lamego and the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies. 686 steps up to the Chapel which people go up on their knees on September 8th. Luckily we went by coach then some walked halfway down to meet up with the coach for another sparkling wine tasting with ham and corn bread. Shopping in the town for last minute presents then back to the ship. The last lock was out of service so we stopped at Leverinho for the night where we were up at 5am for an early breakfast and a flight at 8.55 am.

Every day was a paper quiz- some were very hard, Bingo one night in 4 languages- French, Spanish, Portuguese and English. We had many French children on board. They had their own Play Advisors who spoke in French, they were very happy.

A good trip, slightly different as we were with other Nationalities on board.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jan, 

Thanks for your review - this is a trip I've looked at before but I think now that it's not for me.  No choice of food at lunch and dinner?  Very disappointing.  Also concerned about your accident with the coach door, hope you are not too sore.

Take care,

Bob

Bosuncat
(Member)
'janib' wrote:

I have just returned from my first River Cruise on board the MS Fernao de Magalhaes, a Croisi Europe ship, run by the French Company.

A flight from Gatwick with Tap Airways to Porto was well run with 23 kgs of luggage and free food box and drinks. We were met by a Rep at Gatwick who told us that there would be a Tour Manager at Porto. Ricardo / Rick and Claudia the Cruise Director met us. Half hour drive to the ship which was docked in Gaia, keys given to the crew who took us to our cabins. The TV was mostly European with CNN for news in English, and a channel for the days food and itinerary. Luckily I speak French and watched a load of films as I knew the English version.

A bar was open in the lounge for daily cocktails and all other drinks were included. You have to pay for Champagne and fine wines. All meals, lunches and dinners are 3 courses and one choice only. Caused a few problems when they were presented if you had not seen the menu. Breakfast was buffet style. Only water in the cabin, tea and coffee in the Lounge.

I went with my sister Jen, and we took the full excursion package for £310. So glad we did as Jen was adding it up as we went along, saw and experienced much that we would not have seen if we were on our own. Porto by night gave us a light show of the River and the tiles at the the main Station. The next morning was Porto by day. Palacio do Bolsa was the Commerce Hub of the old Porto, amazing place as was the Cathedral. Ferreira Port hosted us through the cellars where we had tastings. Who knew about White Port? The afternoon was free, we paid 7 Euros for a boat trip to Ribeira. Those who know me, Porto has a Hard Rock Cafe, it is a must that we found it.

We left the ship at Gaia travelling to Guimaraes by coach. Found the Castle of the Duke of Braganza then walked into town. given half hour where we found a welcome cup of coffee. Caught up with the ship at Leverinho watching it as it came through the first of 5 locks. On board and we went through Carrapatelo Lock at 36 meters, the highest in Europe.

Very excited to travel to Mateus- wrong- they use the picture of the house on the bottle, no alcohol given 😞  Vila Real was a delight, pastry and coffee in a shop, so busy with selling bread etc. Caught up with the ship in Pinhao then 2 locks in the afternoon. Stopped at Vega de Teron on the Portuguese/ Spanish border. A whole day in Salamanca was great fun, lunch was at one of the restaurants. Shown the University- oldest in Spain and the old and new Cathedrals. The next morning was free as we sailed back to Porto. Went by coach on the The Wine Route stopping at Quinta do Tedo for Port tasting. I was caught by the closing front door of the coach. Still waiting for the bruising to come out on my right thigh and buttock, incident form filled in when we got back to the ship. Coach taken out of service to see why it closed on its own.

Lamego and the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies. 686 steps up to the Chapel which people go up on their knees on September 8th. Luckily we went by coach then some walked halfway down to meet up with the coach for another sparkling wine tasting with ham and corn bread. Shopping in the town for last minute presents then back to the ship. The last lock was out of service so we stopped at Leverinho for the night where we were up at 5am for an early breakfast and a flight at 8.55 am.

Every day was a paper quiz- some were very hard, Bingo one night in 4 languages- French, Spanish, Portuguese and English. We had many French children on board. They had their own Play Advisors who spoke in French, they were very happy.

A good trip, slightly different as we were with other Nationalities on board.

Good to read your review Jan.   :)

Yes from me to certain things!

Hard Rock Café.  I just knew you would.   :D

Wine tasting with corn bread.   :P

No to:- Your incident.   😞   I hope the bruising isn't too bad when it does come out.  Good to see that they took swift action with the coach, and that an incident form was filled out.

And sorry, but NO to having school children on board.  Sorry!

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Jan, 

Thanks for your review - this is a trip I've looked at before but I think now that it's not for me.  No choice of food at lunch and dinner?  Very disappointing.  Also concerned about your accident with the coach door, hope you are not too sore.

Take care,

Bob

I did the 6-day version of this last autumn and enjoyed it very much.   Re your comment about no choice of food at lunch or dinner being very disappointing, Bob, I've been on 3 cruises now with JY, two with Croisi Europ and one along the Croatian coast, and none of the ships offered a choice because the tiny galleys wouldn't permit it (the ships are very much smaller than those of Cunard, P&O etc) but the food was very good on all of them.   On the Croisi Europ boats the menus for the day are shown on the cabin TVs and around the public areas so that if there is anything you really can't eat there is time to discuss it with the restaurant manager.   On both trips there were a couple of vegetarians, one fish-only and, I think, one "no fish at any cost" and all were catered for - certainly no-one went hungry.   So don't let that put you off.

Ann

janib
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Bob and Elaine,

Jen agreed with only one choice of food- she complained very vocally when given Gazpacho soup for lunch, said tomato soup should be hot !!!! Also the children in the pool was a turn off to most of the older ladies. I picked up one of the Croisi Europe's brochures. It looks like you have to make your own way to the ship. Could not find any prices- you have to ring them with your details for a quote. Also as a single :dodgy: 

I am still waiting for bruising, luckily I am well padded, if it had been one of the thin stick ladies- a different story.

Disappointed by Hard Rock Cafe, Porto. I collect shot glasses- none in stock and no pins with the year on it. I know then when I went to that particular Cafe. I did see that they had a meeting on the 19th and they said they had loads of glasses- guess they bought them all 😞 

Jan

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jan

Enjoyed reading your review, especially as I have never done a river cruise, thank you.

Sorry to hear about the incident with the door and hope that the bruising isn't causing too much of a problem.

Unless it is my grandchildren other children in a swimming pool would also be a " no no" for me!

Kind Regards

Di

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Jan and Ann,

Yes noisy children would definitely be a turn off as well!  I think I'll put the Picturesque Portugal trip above this on my wish list (which will probably see me into retirement at this rate!).

All the best,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for leaving a review Jan on this recent trip.

Sorry to hear you had a incident with a coach door, I hope you got an explanation of what and why it happened, I hope the bruising isn’t to painful when it appears.

I do understand there are limited facility’s for food preparation etc, but not sure I would only like one option, take it or leave it type of thing. If that was the case I would rather a comprehensive buffet style meal ...

I Was quiet alarmed reading there were children onboard etc, I do understand this isn’t solely for JY clients but I really wouldn’t feel comfortable having children around me, not quite what I would be looking for on a JY tour.

Sorry to hear that Hard Rock wasn’t up to scratch as I know you Love to visit these places.

Cindy

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Thanks Jan and Ann,

Yes noisy children would definitely be a turn off as well!  I think I'll put the Picturesque Portugal trip above this on my wish list (which will probably see me into retirement at this rate!).

All the best,

Bob

One final comment, Bob.   On both river cruises I have been on - one late April/early May and the other mid October - there have been no children on board, mainly folk "of a certain age".   I think it is the same with any holiday/destination in Europe - avoid June to August because that is when the school holidays are and children are let loose!

Ann

SarahS
(Member)
I did the  Budapest to Strasbourg cruise with Croisi Europe two years ago, in June. There were no children on board. I really enjoyed it. Regarding food, as has been said, menus were posted the night before, and alternative discussed with our excellent waiters.  The food was always well cooked, and beautifully presented. Table service was very good. Over the twelve days, we never had the same main course twice. On my experience, I would certainly do another river cruise with the same company.
sueh53
(Member)
Thanks for this interesting & comprehensive review. I'm going on my first river cruise in October with Just You - 5 nights on the River Seine. Thought it would provide a good 'taster' trip with a view to longer cruises elsewhere in the future. Hopefully not many schoolchildren around!

Sue

Marjorie Hunt
(Member)
Like Jan and her sister, Jen, I was part of the same group cruising on the Douro recently. and what a splendid holiday it was! Everything exceeded my expectations, the beautiful cabin, excellent food, amazing scenery, etc., etc.!! Not to mention the company of such friendly, like minded people 'all in the same boat' so to speak (excuse the pun)!! I have already made contact with Ann and Thelma, I feel as if I've known them for years! Ricardo, our Tour Manager was 'top notch' and took care of everything. Top marks to you, Ricardo! This was my first singles trip ever, and must admit, I was so very, very nervous, but now I can't wait for the next and after downloading the brochure yesterday how can I decide on which to do? Wow! the list is endless!! Unfortunately, I live abroad but visit my family in England annually and intend combining future trips with a 'Just You' holiday. I'm considering Tuscany, Pompeii or Andalucia (Malaga-Picasso!!) as options in May / June 2019 and I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who's been on these tours. Thank you.

'Just You', you're the BEST. Marjorie H

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Marjorie

I can totally recommend Hughlights of Tuscany, the hotel has changed from when I went, but it was a very nice tour lots to see and do with out it being to FULL ON...well worth doing...

Cindy

Paul N
(Member)
'Marjorie Hunt' wrote:

Like Jan and her sister, Jen, I was part of the same group cruising on the Douro recently. and what a splendid holiday it was! Everything exceeded my expectations, the beautiful cabin, excellent food, amazing scenery, etc., etc.!! Not to mention the company of such friendly, like minded people 'all in the same boat' so to speak (excuse the pun)!! I have already made contact with Ann and Thelma, I feel as if I've known them for years! Ricardo, our Tour Manager was 'top notch' and took care of everything. Top marks to you, Ricardo! This was my first singles trip ever, and must admit, I was so very, very nervous, but now I can't wait for the next and after downloading the brochure yesterday how can I decide on which to do? Wow! the list is endless!! Unfortunately, I live abroad but visit my family in England annually and intend combining future trips with a 'Just You' holiday. I'm considering Tuscany, Pompeii or Andalucia (Malaga-Picasso!!) as options in May / June 2019 and I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who's been on these tours. Thank you.

'Just You', you're the BEST. Marjorie H

Hi Marjorie 

I did the excellent Highlights of Tuscany trip in May this year which included the change of Hotel. If you go to the Forums Reviews page and type in "Highlights of Tuscany" in the search box my recent review should come up. I visited Sorrento and Pompeii a couple of years ago on my own on a self organised trip a JY trip will knock spots of that but if you go make sure you go to Herculaneum which I think is a better site as it is more compact and better preserved. I have also been to Andalucia again self organised and Nerja, Mijas and Gibraltar are well worth the visit. Watch your handbag contents etc on Gib the monkeys seem to take a keen interest. I'm sure whichever JY holiday you choose it will be excellent experience. I wish I had found them prior to my first trip with them to Sicily 2017.

Take care and ENJOY your travels 

Paul

Marjorie Hunt
(Member)
Thanks Cindy and Paul, for your feedback (I read your very informative review of Tuscany Paul). Had to smile at the warning regarding the Gib. monkeys as, living in RSA, I've had quite a few unfortunate encounters with these little guys in Kruger Park!! Enjoy your future travels. Marjorie
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I would like to do a river cruise one day and as long as they have something for a vegetarian then I would be okay. I personally do not worry too much about food when on holiday. I avoid school holidays as would not want to be around noisy children - obviously they too have a right to go on a holiday! You just have to make sure you choose the dates when children are at school, though sometimes you still have children on the flights during term time so one cannot escape entirely!

Regards

Jaya

janib
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Everyone,

An update on my review. I took one of the Croisi Europe brochures. It seems that they have a Family Club in July and August where all children under 16 have a free cruise. The family pay for flights, transfers and excursions only. Shall remember for future use, look at the small print :dodgy: 

I shall be writing to Croisi Europe after my visit to my GP re my injuries. I will include this with the Feedback form for Just You. Have not heard anything regarding this 'accident' from either Company.

As to the food, I enjoyed it all. They told us if we wanted half portions to cross our knives and forks, I did not 😉 

Jan

janib
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Marjorie,

Glad you got home OK back to South Africa. Great to meet you. I have done Flavours of Tuscany which is similiar to Highlights of Tuscany, great fun.

Jaya - There was a gentleman who was a Diabetic so they were very careful with his dietary requirement. If they are told at the beginning, they will willingly cook you something different. One of the best bits was the chef doing an omelette round for breakfast- it was brilliant   🙂   It seems that with France being on holiday in July to mid August like the Scottish, you will get children if they are free. The dinner in Salamanca was beautiful, meat again, our man was given a healthy option.

Sue - I was hoping to do the Seine cruise next year. Would love to see Giverny, then realised that I would have to do Chateau Weekend and Monet's Garden as the cruise does not see Giverny 😞 Would have to be 10th May as the Wisteria should be out in full bloom. My French Penfriend lives 5 minutes away and I have known her for 45 years, yet never been there :rolleyes:  I can use my voucher , hoorah 😛 

Jan