sim1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, Just got back from the Invitation to India tour (9th November).

First let me say a big thank you to Bernie/Peter, one guide but two names. Another excellent JY tour guide.

OK here we go.

Jet Airways was used as the airline, acceptable, a little bit hard seats for a nine hour flight but they got us there and back safely and on time. What more can you ask for.

First stop Delhi, a real eye opener on Indian life, from the mad traffic to the thick smog. The coach tour and visits in Delhi were well balanced and gave an insight into the way of life, impressive buildings and history.

It does say tempting food stalls, well we were told by the guide don't risk it. We also supposed to see the Red Fort, due to the smog and traffic, if you blinked you probably would have missed it.

The additional tour of the different religions was good especially the visit to the Sikh Temple and the walk to the Sufi Saints tomb, (do it and you will see what I mean).  The Catholic Church could be left out it would have not been that interesting had the not been a wedding going on.

On to Agra. Oh by the way that is almost a 5 hour coach trip, didn't see that mentioned in the brochure.

Agra Fort was very good and we received a lot of information from the local guide, and if it wasn't for the little bit of smog here we would have had a great view of the Taj Mahal from the upper levels. We where taken to the opposite side of the river to view the Taj Mahal on the first day here, luckily hardly any scaffolding as they have almost finished cleaning that side. The early start the next day was put off to a little later as the local guide said due to the smog the sunrise over the Taj would not have been great. The visit to the Taj was magnificent and impressive.

I also went on the optional Cookery demonstration and the local home, or should I say 10 bedroom B&B.

The lady of the house was welcoming, but the demonstrations was very short, the meal was ok but cooked by their chef in the kitchen. Not really what I expected. 

On to Jaipur, hold on 7 hour coach trip where did that come from, checked the small print nothing mentioned.

Jaipur was the best city, well in my opinion, and the amber fort was another marvel, sadly JY won't let you do the elephant ride up to it, as they feel its unsafe. They haven't checked out the jeep drivers that well then! Really an experience going up and down by jeep. An insight into Indian driving skills and road manners.

We were supposed to have, and I quote a state of the art light show, that evening, well, yes it was changed to a different venue. But it was terrible, even the guide after the show, really struggled to put it into words. The meal at the restaurant after wasn't any good either, the five on our table only suffered the poor service and food up to the end of the starters, before getting a taxi back to the hotel. 

I did the morning walking tour, but be aware this is a 5.30 wake up call, the walking tour was worth the early call. You get to see the India you expect. They say you see India, taste India and smell India and this gives you all three. The local guide who took us around was really excellent and refused our tips.

Back to Delhi, 6 hour coach ride now come JY put these trip lengths in the brochure.

Now the last evening was supposed to have a farewell dinner with an extravaganza of Indian performing arts etc. it ended up as a three course European meal. Not worth the £59 JY was charging.

Now it may look like I was complaining a lot, well this trip could have been much better with a little more thought. The best of the trip was the great hotels all to a good or high standard, no complaints there. The local tour guides and JY tour manager were excellent. The coach driver and his sidekick gave excellent service, and with the unusual driving style out there gave us quite an adventure. Food was good in the main.

I would say if you want to see what India is like this is the tour for you, but expect long coach rides, early starts and a full on itinernary.

I would like to thank my travelling companions and inparticular the new friends who I now have, which made this holiday fun and full of laughter.

And to JY with a little more effort this good tour could have been an excellent tour.

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning Sim1,

I'm sorry to hear that the seats that you had on your nine hour flight were a bit uncomfortable. We always welcome feedback to help us improve our holidays for future travellers.

I am however delighted to hear that you had a fun time on your trip to India.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the wider Just You Community. I have forwarded all your comments on to the wider team here at JYHQ.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sim1

So glad you enjoyed this trip and that Bernie was as excellent as he was in Russia.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you for leaving a good honest review of your recent trip, I do hope JY take on board your thoughts and can make a few changes. I wish JY would put a approx time of journeys in the brochures, I have sat for many!!! Hours on coach tours waiting to get to see the sights!...

Cindy

Daffydj
(Member)
Hi..... really interested to read your review of an Invitation to India especially as I am going this Thursday the 23rd.  Reassuring to know that the hotels are good.  I guess the long coach rides give you a chance to sit and rest.  Did you stop along the way??  I haven’t booked the walking tour of Jaipur but it sounds as though it’s an experience not to miss.   Was it easy to get currency?  And did you spend much along the way.? 

Daphne

sim1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Daffydj' wrote:

Hi..... really interested to read your review of an Invitation to India especially as I am going this Thursday the 23rd.  Reassuring to know that the hotels are good.  I guess the long coach rides give you a chance to sit and rest.  Did you stop along the way??  I haven’t booked the walking tour of Jaipur but it sounds as though it’s an experience not to miss.   Was it easy to get currency?  And did you spend much along the way.? 

Daphne

Just read this. Money at Delhi airport, no problem and at many of the hotel's.  Exchange rate almost the same everywhere. On the coach journey's several's stops. For breaks and to stretch your legs etc.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sim

Thanks for your review. Climb up to Amber Fort is not strenuous. I did an independent trip to India in 1994 with my mum, brother and sister and we all walked up and down. Jeeps were not on offer then, just the elephants! Unfortunately in India you do have to drive for hours to get from one place to the other and this also depends on the traffic.

Regards

Jaya

Frances C
(Member)
thank you Sim1 for the review. I am going on this trip on 18th January, so have found the forwarning of the long coach trips very useful. I don't mind if I am prepared, but it's not always mentioned in the brochures.

I am really looking forward to the trip, especially after having read your review.

You will be pleased to hear that they are not bothering with the £59 banquet on this trip - I would have been very disappointed if we experienced the same as you.

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sim1,

Just reading this 2 months later. I know what you mean about coach journeys. For me , it was 8 hours on a coach from Picton to Christchurch, South Island back in November. Normally would have been a 3 hour except for the big earthquake on the Kaikoura Highway which ruined the road. It had taken a year and was supposed to be ready for Christmas. A great shame as it is one of the most scenic in the world 😞 

Jan

Susanxyz
(Member)
Hi

I am amazed to read that people are moaning about not knowing distances  [ and hours] between cities.

Thats what the internet is for ! You can find out travelling times from A to B anywhere in the world.

Justyou can't put everything in the brochure, can they.

Yours Sue

A regular Justyou traveller

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi whilst I would expect distances on travelling days in a huge country like India to be considerable, I would not necessarily be aware of it in various other countries - Jules Verne mention the journey time in their itinerary in brackets when it is more than 3 hours.  I think this is a very good idea and could easily be implemented.  The timings wouldn't have to be exact, just to give an indication of how long to expect.  JY are very good at breaking up longer journeys with comfort stops, photo ops, coffee breaks and shopping opportunities so a longer journey on a particular day doesn't bother me; however if someone suffered from a sore back etc. it could be of real value in helping them to decide if a tour is for them, or not.

All the best,

Bob