RogertheRed
(Member) (Topic Starter)
If you are a McDonalds or Starbucks fan this holiday is NOT for you as it's towards the end of day five before you'll see one.

I believe we were the guinea pigs for this tour and what a great trip it turned out to be. Quite a lot of travelling in the north European plain, which is flat and monotonous, but the towns/cities/parks etc., in between made up for it. Riga is particularly attractive with its many art deco buildings, and all the walking tours were interesting.

Excursions.

All were included with no optional ones. All except Thomas Mann's house and the boat trip were of interest. Time at Mann's house would have been better spent following the Witch's Trail further. Although not on anyone's essential to do list, the visits to Karosta prison and Ligatne bunker turned out to be two of the highlights of the trip. All trips were as described in the brochure and I don't think any one was disappointed.

Travelling.

Morning starts were either 8.00 or 9.00 so not too early. Day 3 was very long (11.5 hours) but worth it to see the Hill of Crosses. I feel the length of this day could be reduced if the boat trip on the lake the previous day was replaced by the tour of Kaunas which was done on the third morning. The boat trip consisted of sailing round several islands, seeing the back of the castle, a house under renovation (4 times) and millions of trees.

We had an excellent driver for whom nothing was too much trouble.

Hotels.

All of an excellent standard although two did not have tea/coffee facilities in the room. All had hair dryers.

Food.

Beyond all expectations. I don't think we had a poor meal. Although it was a set menu the food was very tasty and different. I won't mention the meal on the final night as it would spoil the surprise. All meals were provided except lunch on the last day. Tea or coffee was free after every evening meal.

I believe the vegetarian on the trip will be writing about her meals which I believe on the whole were more than acceptable.

Beer in the hotels was quite expensive at euro 4.50 per half litre. Not being a wine drinker I cannot comment on that but several bottles were consumed!!! by some of the group.

Weather.

Heavy showers on several days but with some sunny and pleasantly warm ones as well. It would pay to take a collapsible umbrella with you.

Tour Manager.

Xenia Kyriaku was brilliant and really was the icing on the cake for the holiday. Not even phased when the group were departing to three different airports at different times to what she had been advised. So instead of travelling to the airport after breakfast for a late afternoon flight she managed to arrange for the coach to stay until mid afternoon.

Summary.

Another excellent JY holiday in which the group gelled well and it was the first time for me that men exceeded women. Do not worry about the travelling (if you are thinking about this holiday) as everything else makes up for it. I've probably not covered everything but just ask if you need to know more.

Roger.

turnke
(Member)
Thanks for a great review Roger
Julie White
(Member)
Thank you Roger,

Excellent review, glad you enjoyed it so much. Perhaps I should take a look at this holiday and add to my never ending list of places to visit.

Warm regards Julie

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Roger,

Many thanks for this great review and I'm delighted you enjoyed the tour so much - as you know I did the somewhat similar Baltic Explorer with Travelsphere last year and very much enjoyed it.  

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Roger

Thanks for the review, sound like you had fun, as you were the Guinea Pigs let's hope JY take on what you have said.

OH MY more men than women that's unheard of from the many tours I have been on, so how many M/F were there ..

Cindy

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Roger,

A great review - glad you had a good time. I have to say this one is already on my never ending list of places to go.

Kind Regards

kezzer

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi Roger,

My Step-Dad Peter was also on this trip and echoed your sentiments that it was a great tour with some lovely fellow travellers and a fab tour manager. This was his first JY trip and he is already planning his second!

magpie10
(Member)
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the excellent review, I'm hoping to do this tour next year ?.

Caroline

RogertheRed
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Roger

Thanks for the review, sound like you had fun, as you were the Guinea Pigs let's hope JY take on what you have said.

OH MY more men than women that's unheard of from the many tours I have been on, so how many M/F were there ..

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

There were 8 men and 6 women.

Regards,

Roger

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Many thanks for this very helpful review, Roger. I had looked at it briefly in the brochure and decided there was probably too much travelling but you have whetted my appetite as it doesn't look any more strenuous than my two holidays in Canada. I have already booked my October holiday for this year but shall definitely think about this one for next spring/summer.

Ann

Susanxyz
(Member)
Thanks Roger

I am booked on this tour in Sept and I am now SO looking forward to it after your review

Especially the not too early starts

Wanted to go in June but it was my sisters 70th party [which was really naf]

I suppose you dont spend a lot as there are no extra meals to buy and now I can work out how much I will need as you have told us the price of a beer, thanks

How much was the extra trip please

I have also booked the Premier Inn at Manchester for £36 yesterday-two weeks ago it was showing £59 but I suppose its with all this @cladding talk

Yours Sue

sallyc
(Member)
Thanks for the great review, Roger - another one to add to the list........
Welshted
(Member)
Hi Roger

I echo every word! Great trip; great company; fabulous tour manager . . .

This was my tenth Travelsphere/Just You holiday - and as always an experience to fondly remember.

The photo editing has started!

Keep smiling

Ted

SylviaJ
(Member)
Thanks for the review Roger. This is on my list for the future, but haven't looked at the itinerary so unaware of how much travel is involved.

Regards

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Roger for the review. Another trip to add to my ever growing list!

Jaya