Deb3
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just back from the Colonial Highlights of Ceylon tour. Was slightly apprehensive before I left, as I'd not travelled solo with them before but I needn't have worried. Lovely, smallish (23) group, 8 couples, 3 lots of ladies travelling together and me. Made to feel very welcome by everyone.

Shan't give a day by day account as I personally don't like knowing too much in advance...overall it was a good balance of Temples, wildlife, countryside and beach.

All the hotels were very good, service a bit chaotic in the bar in Nuwara Eliya. Food was excellent, I stuck with the local dishes, apart from breakfast...although the 'egg hoppers' were very good. These dishes were spicier than I'd experienced in Northern India but not too hot.

We did have some very heavy showers at Sigiria and Dambulla, which made the climbs to each, slow going. Yes we did get wet and some of us were put off climbing to the top of Lion Rock but all of us climbed at least part of the way. With temps around 30C, we soon steamed dry... for 2/3ds of the day's it was brilliant blue sky, temp the same and humidity at 85%.

Free filtered water, from a jug, plus 2 bottles per room in all hotels, plus 1x free bottle per day on the coach.

Think I used an adapter once only, most places had 3 pin sockets like ours.

All the rooms I had, had walk in power showers...bliss. Tea and coffee facilities in all rooms. Was slightly perturbed to find an ironing board and iron in 2 of the rooms, not something I usually get involved with whilst away...and another lady was shocked to find a set of scales in her bathroom, I hadn't known what they were...

The roads up to Nuwara Eliya and tea country are pretty challenging, anyone whose visited Madeira will know what I mean; lots of bends, sheer drops and only remember 1 tunnel. The views more than make up for it though. Our driver was outstanding.

Didn't see a leopard whilst out in the jeeps in Yala but did see, and for about 10 mins, a sloth bear...our guide and driver were beside themselves as they rarely get to see more than just the back of one disappearing into the bush. Lots of wild elephants in both parks we visited and we were taken to an orphaned elephant transit camp at Udawellawe. Again, slightly apprehensive as they'd dropped the visit to controversial Pinnewella. All seemed to be very well run, no direct interaction with elephants and public, just a raised, shaded, viewing platform, set well back from the feeding station; don't think there's anything much cuter than seeing 2 very small elephants, slurping their bottles of milk... there were around 30 in all of varying ages.

Judy Davies was our TM, would be happy to see her again. Local guide was Gamini, very knowledgeable and passionate about his country and happy to answer any questions. 

Have given up buying Guide Books but do like to read something about the area I'm visiting. Took John Gimlette's 'Elephant Complex' with me and can thoroughly recommend; just the right amount of history, mixed with observation to keep me turning the pages.

Seems to have turned into a bit of an essay...only too happy to answer questions.

Debbie

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Debbie

Thanks for your review. Sri Lanka is high on my list of places to visit.

Lesley

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Debbie

Sounds like a great tour, I love to see wild life seems you have some great memories, thank you for leaving this review.

Cindy

Angie S
(Member)
Nice review Debbie giving a taste of your trip.

Glad you got on OK with Travelsphere. I've used them twice and got on great. Certainly opens up more options.

Angie

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the review Debbie. Sri Lanka is on my list and I was hoping to go to Sri Lanka this year, but then Kenya Safari came in between. Hopefully it will not be too long before I can go though not looking forward to the roads to Nuwara Elyia! Have experienced such roads in Madeira - will just have to take travel sickness medication!

Regards

Jaya