TimH
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Have just returned from this trip, our tour manager was Stephen Rodaway, we left Heathrow as a group of 11 and joined 2 others who had flown from Manchester the previous day, and were joined by a further 7 from the Austrailia tour when we got to Auckland.  Once we got to New Zealand seat allocation on the bus was in operation, while most of us were a bit sceptical about this it seemed to work ok without any dramas.

Day 2 - Arrived in Singapore around 6am, transferred to the hotel arriving at 7am, the local tour operator then provided details of the available optional tours, but this was far too early in the day to be making decisions so I don't think any of us took up the option.  Stephen took us on an orientation walk around the Clarke Quay area, the afternoon was free for us to explore further, the majority of us met up for a meal in chinatown.

Day 3 - An included morning tour to the Botanic Gardens, Marina Bay and a river cruise, the rest of the day was free; a number of us went to raffles and then had a meal by the river at Clarke Quay.  Stephen organised a trip to Orchard Road to see the christmas lights.

Day 4 - A free day as we were not flying to New Zealand until later, Stephen organised a trip to the Gardens in the Bay, well worth the visit and a chance to travel on the subway, if you go to the gardens, do the skywalk first to avoid the crowds (if you have money left on yout subway ticket this can be spent at many retailers), that evening we flew to Auckland.

Day 5 - Arrived in Auckland, had a free afternoon, before we had our welcome dinner with the new additions to the group from the Autrailia tour, some of us went to the Sky Tower which is just a short walk from the hotel (if you are a senior take ID as you can get in for a reduced rate).

Day 6 - An included city tour taking in the museum, with a free afternoon, some took the boat to Davenport, I took the bus (15 minutes) to the Zoo, a fairly easy journey, just take your map to work out where you need to get off.

Day 7 - We travelled to Rotorua taking in the Waitomo caves on the way, with a stop to grab some lunch, Brian our driver on the North Island recommended places to eat, I would certainly recommend the pies.  The hotel is fairly basic, but OK.

Day 8 - I took the optional to Rainbow Springs as did the majority of the group while a few went to Hobbiton; I have to say that Rainbow Springs seemed more aimed at children, we completed the circuit in ½ an hour, had a ride on the very tame log flume and grabbed a coffee before watching the bird show.  The Gondola ride and wine tasting were good, there are a few short walks to do if you choose, the other activities include zip wire and luge, however the schedule meant anyone wanting to do those activities, although the location is not too far from the hotel.  That evening we had the included Mauri night with meal which was very good.

Day 9 - we travelled to Napier en route taking in the Ta Puia thermal reserve and Huka Falls.  The hotel in Napier is modern and close to the town so Stephen led us on a walk taking in the art deco buildings before we headed off for an included evening meal at the winery which was very good with plenty of wine included

Day 10 - we travelled to Wellington, on arrival we had our orientation tour by coach arriving around 4pm where we experienced our first tremor only about 2.6, we then had a free evening to find food and explore, a couple of us came upon a reasonably priced bar with music to suit most tastes with happy hour from 5 - 7, Eva Beva is located about 10 minutes from the hotel, we returned there on our second night in Wellington to take full advantage of the reasonable prices.

Day 11 - Stephen organised a trip on the funicular to the botanic gardens, we then took in the Te Papa museum which took a good few hours to go around.

Day 12 - we said goodbye to our driver Brian and took the ferry to the South Island where we met our new driver, John; the ferry took about 4 hours.  Due to the earthquake the main highway was closed so we took the longer route through teh Lewis pass to our hotel at Christchurch, arriving fairly late so no real time to take in the city

Day 13 - we travelled to franz joseph, making part of the journey by train the driving through Arthurs pass, heavy rain all day meant we went straight to the hotel and most of us grabbed a drink a bite to eat at the bar next to the hotel.

Day 14 - those doing the glacier flights did their flights then we headed to the glacier then travelled to Queenstown arriving early evening.

Day 15 - today was our trip to Milford Sound, a long journet arriving around 1pm, we made several stops to take in the sights on the way, but there will be a number of other coaches doing the same route so you have to adopt the same attitude as some of the travellers from the far east and push your way to the front to get your photos otherwise you will just get pictures of them with their selfie sticks.  The boat trip around Milford Sound was certainly worth the journey, but once it was over we had the long journey back to Queenstown.

Day 16 - this was either free or a chance to take up one of the optional tours.  I took the Dart River option, the Jet boat was amazing, but if you look at this one thinking you like agood walk you will be disapointed, the walk was a 20 minute amble through some beech trees and the 4 wheel drive was not what I expected, the 31 seater minbus had 4 wheel drive, it drove us about 200 metres across the riverbed then continued on road stopping to point out places where films had been made (Had I known this I'd have done the Shotover river jet boat option at half the price which would have allowed time to explore Queenstown and take in the gondola).  This evening the whole group took up the optional of cruise and dinner, there was as much food as you could eat and most of us over indulged

Day 17 - today we drove to Omarama, this included a number of stops to fill the time as there is nothing much at Omarama, we stooped at Arrowtoen which was interesting, the AJ Hacjet Bunjee to watch the bunjee jumpers, fruit place and then a near desrted town for lunch.  On arrival those doing the mount cook flight took their flights while a number of us went along to get view of mount Cook while we waited for them to return from their flights.  There is nothing much in Omarama so we had dinner at the hotel which was good.

Day 18 - we drove back to Christchurch arriving mid afternoon, for most of teh group this was their last day before returning to the UK, some of us took the chance to explore the city which is very easy to get around before our fairwell dinner at the hotel.

Day 19 - we headed off on various flights throughout the day, I was travelling to the Cook Islands with one other,  and had a mad dash at Auckland to get from the dometic terminal to the international terminal, but we made it and surprisingly so did our cases.  We arrived at Rarotonga at around 12:30am on the day we left Auckland (there's a 23 hour time difference)

Day 20 - The hotel is small only 24 rooms and no children, the hotel managers laid on a mystery tour of the island in the morning, i spent the rest of teh day relaxing while my fellow traveller went on the optional evining show which she enjoyed and was not spoilt by the heavu rain.

Day 21 - I took the optional trip to Aitutaki, unfortunately it was heavy rain all day but this did not spoil the snorkelling or trips to various islands including One Foot Island.  This evening we made use of our included money cards and dined at the hotel

Day 22 - I took the lagoon cruise, it follows very much the same format as the previous days trip, just without the flight and luckily no rain, I would recommend this trip, the team running it are really good and find a way to include everyone.

Day 23 - my final day I took the bus to town and then undertook the cross island walk thinking this would be a good walk around 8 kilometers, I was not expecting to have to haul myself up steep slopes and cross raging streams to complete the walk.  That said it was certainly worthwhile doing although my legs are still aching.  What I would recommend is take plenty of water, insect spray, an umbrella to use both as a sun shade and as and aid for climbing up and down the steep inclines (if you do this walk ideally go with someone else, I did it alone an met a few other walkers on the way, but please do tell the hotel as there are some very steep climbs a big drops if you lose your footing).  After blowing the rest of our monet cards on dinner we transferrd to the airport.  Note they oprate Island time so although there may be a timetable buses and transfers turn up when they are ready.

All in all a good though exhausting trip.

For Singapore, if you are looking to do the zoo, one of the optionals offered by the local tour operator is probably easiest, as its not easy by public transport or cheap by taxi.

If there are any fellow smokers out there, please note Singapore charges duty on all cigarettes imported so either take just what you need or buy them there, New Zealand allows only 50 cigarettes duty free and has heavy fines if you are caught bringing in more.  The Cook Islands has the usual 200 limit, if you have time to grab some in Auckland.

Tim

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Tim,

Many thanks for this great review - I hope to do NZ and possibly the Cook Islands add-on over the next couple of years so I think I will be consulting your review again nearer the time!

All the best,

Bob

katy1717
(Member)
Thanks Tim for this comprehensive review, and the details for Singapore and the Cook Islands. I have NZ high up my wish list, but haven't managed to get round to it yet, and it looks as if I wont get there in 2017 either as I've already got a lot booked in already. I was really pleased to see your review of the Cook Islands as I would really like to include that add on when I do get there.

Katy

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Tim

Thanks for leaving such a detailed review it brought back many memory's from when I went to NZ a few years ago..

Sounds like you had a good time.

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Tim, thanks for the comprehensive review. New Zealand is on my list and hopefully I will be able to do this trip in the very near future. Stephen Rodaway was our TM in Kerala and he is very good. He does do seat rotation!

Regards

Jaya

lw491
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Tim H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of your trip to New Zealand and Cook Islands. It is a helpful overview in preparation for my own trip I am doing in January, New Zealand only.

Linda W

PaulineD
(Member)
Thank you Tim for a very comprehensive review. I am on this tour (without the Cook Islands) in January and am even more excited now I've read your report!!

PaulineD

PaulineD
(Member)
'PaulineD' wrote:

Thank you Tim for a very comprehensive review. I am on this tour (without the Cook Islands) in January and am even more excited now I've read your report!!

PaulineD

Hi Tim,

Sorry me again!!  

Am I right in thinking we will need a certain amount of currency for Singapore as well as our New Zealand. 

PaulineD

TimH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PaulineD' wrote:

PaulineD

hope you have a good time in NZ Pauline

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pauline,

I was in Singapore at the end of May this year and don't worry about currency - you can use credit cards virtually everywhere and ATMs are widely available so you will have no problem getting some currency.  This is a fabulous city and you will really enjoy it!  Have a great time in NZ....

All the best,

Bob

TimH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PaulineD' wrote:

'PaulineD' wrote:

PaulineD

Hi Tim,

Sorry me again!!  

Am I right in thinking we will need a certain amount of currency for Singapore as well as our New Zealand. 

PaulineD

Pauline

I took about £150 in Singapore dollars and that covered all my expenditure there, the good thing is the exchange rates for singapore and New Zealand are pretty similar so you can use the same conversion in both countries.  NZ was pretty pricy for some things, although we were able to pay in sterling for any trips we didn't book before.  For NZ I took around £750 and have some left over, I always budget around £50 a day as I'd rather come back with unused currency than miss out on opprtunities while I'm away (I only have my cards as emergency backup)

Tim

PaulineD
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Pauline,

I was in Singapore at the end of May this year and don't worry about currency - you can use credit cards virtually everywhere and ATMs are widely available so you will have no problem getting some currency.  This is a fabulous city and you will really enjoy it!  Have a great time in NZ....

All the best,

Bob

Thanks Bob, that's good to know.

PaulineD

PaulineD
(Member)
'TimH' wrote:

'PaulineD' wrote:

'PaulineD' wrote:

PaulineD

Hi Tim,

Sorry me again!!  

PaulineD

Pauline

I took about £150 in Singapore dollars and that covered all my expenditure there, the good thing is the exchange rates for singapore and New Zealand are pretty similar so you can use the same conversion in both countries.  NZ was pretty pricy for some things, although we were able to pay in sterling for any trips we didn't book before.  For NZ I took around £750 and have some left over, I always budget around £50 a day as I'd rather come back with unused currency than miss out on opprtunities while I'm away (I only have my cards as emergency backup)

Tim

Thanks Tim. That is extremely helpful.  Getting mega excited now!!!! 

PaulineD

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Tim for the review. I have booked Breathtaking New Zealand today and although it is still 9 months away, I am so excited.

Jan