simplyred
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This was a really enjoyable holiday and a good introduction to cruising.

The only big negative was our arrival and really does need sorting by Just You. After an early flight we arrived at the boat about 12ish but could not board until 6pm! This meant having to wander round Bordeaux with no idea of where things were for 5 hours, luckily it wasn't raining but everyone was tired and wanted to get settled. Not a good start to the holiday especially for those people who were on their first JY trip.

After that I couldn't fault the holiday.

The boat.......

It is relatively small, takes about 120 people with immaculately clean cabins and public areas. I had an upper deck cabin with big double windows which I could open - the balcony is Juliette so you can't sit out. Decor was blue and white throughout the boat apart from one lounge. Cabins are plenty big enough for 1 with a compact bathroom with shower and plenty of towels. 2 single beds which were very comfortable, dressing table and chair and plenty of storage space. Only 1 socket for recharging phones etc. Air conditioning / heating very efficient. TV showing French channels and BBC world. No clock in cabins. Hairdryer in drawer. Free wifi but it was a bit intermittent at times.

There are 2 lounges  - one large  with bar and dance / entertainment area and a smaller lounge with large screen TV and bar. Plenty of space and seating outside on top to watch the world glide by. 

Food was fantastic, beautifully presented and a good variety with excellent wines included. Breakfast is continental buffet all other meals are waiter service at set times with a set menu. Although there is no choice if you don't like something there is always an alternative if you ask. Lunch is at 12 and is 4 courses, dinner at 7 with just 3 courses!! No dieting on this trip. 

The crew / staff were all brilliant and couldn't do enough for us. Always smiling and friendly and could all speak reasonable English. We were the only English group on board (18 of us plus our rep Ian) so all announcements were in French followed by English. 

Entertainment on board was limited - a couple playing music after dinner which was okay and we did dance to it. The crew did 2 "shows" which were interesting!!!! A local folklore dance troupe came on board one evening and they were good. Otherwise you make your own entertainment which JY people are good at!

Excursions.......

The boat sailed in the mornings - amazing waking up to see the world gliding past, and reached the next stop about 12ish. All excursions left at 2pm and returned between 5 - 6pm.  I went on all but 1 trip and enjoyed them all, 2 to wineries which involved a tour then wine tasting some very good red wines!  One thing to note is St. Emilion has very steep cobbled, uneven streets down to the main square and church. Some people found these difficult especially as we had a heavy downpour which made them extremely slippy so really not advisable if you have any mobility issues. Also the monolithic church is very very dark and has several steps / slopes. Some people found it quite claustrophobic.

Hope this review is helpful, happy to answer any questions about this trip.

(Member)
Hi simplyred,

Thanks for your review, I have passed it over to the relevant teams so your comments, especially about your arrival time, will be considered for future trips.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Bosuncat
(Member)
Thanks for this simplyred.    I'm going on my first river cruise in November (Imperial Cities of the Danube), and this has given me a little hint on what to expect on board, although of course mine is a totally different holiday as far as itinerary and destinations is concerned. 

🙂

SarahS
(Member)
Thanks for the review. I think it's  the same cruise line doing the Budapest  to Strasbourg  cruise. After reading  your review I do hope so. I hope JY take on board  - sorry  no pun intended -  your comments about early arrivals.  If early flights must  be used, something needs to be organised for the waiting time.   I will write a review of my cruise when  I  get back.   Pleased to hear that after a shakey start everything else was fine.
ajhk
  • (Member)
(Member)
this was really interesting thank you I am considering the october seine river cruise.  I am a bit concerned if we arrive early by train what we also do for a few hours if we cannot board, maybe once we know the timings something could be arranged for the between times.