Julie White
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I returned last week from an amazing trip to Japan. 

I have to say it is an interesting country and the people are lovely and very polite.

On our first day in Japan we did a city tour of Tokyo which included an authentic rickshaw ride through the streets, which is always a good way to get the feel of a place and a lot of fun.  We felt like royalty with all the locals stopping to smile and wave has we went speeding past. 

We had a trip to see the Imperial palace, the main residence of the Emperor of Japan,  which we are not allowed to enter although we were lucky enough to see  a practise run of the Emperor’s carriage and all its entourage coming out of the palace grounds.  The day also included a visit to the Asakusa Sensoji Temple where we witnessed an impromptu Shinto ceremony of a local family.  

The evening was spent on the Sudima River, aboard a yakatubune boat where we were served a lovely meal with alcohol. This turned into a karaoke session and was a lot of fun.

The next day we travelled to see Mount Fuji on our way to Atami and we were lucky enough to see the mountain.  Apparently she is only visible 50% of the time so we extremely lucky.  We had a lovely boat ride on Lake Ashi.  Here we tried to glimpse another sight of Fuji but she decided to hide from us.  A night was spent at Atami and most of us visited the natural thermal springs where we bathed together (I might add you have to bathe naked (not mixed)).

Day 5 was our day for the bullet train and it is a rush we just made it in time.  It is very exciting you only have 90 seconds to board before the doors close.  We shared the carriage with a party of Japanese school children who wanted to practise their English.  We didn’t mind helping them out they were very well behaved and very polite.   Our destination was Kyoto which is a lovely part of Japan and an afternoon tour was included.  We visited the Golden pavilion covered in pure gold leaf and paid a visit to some beautiful Japanese gardens.  This was all finished off with a visit to Gion district which is famous for geisha’s.  We were lucky enough to see a real geisha; apparently it is very rare to see them in the afternoon.  There are a lot of women walking around in kimonos but most of them are not genuine geisha.

We spent three nights in Kyoto and I would have liked to have spent longer.  A visit was made to the sake museum and we were given a sample to try.  We also visited the Fushimi Inari shrine with contained lots of stone foxes en-route through lots of orange shrines.  We finished off the afternoon at a Japanese tea ceremony.  The ceremony was interesting and the owner was a very proud 16th generation owner of the tea company. He was proud to show us how to correctly make and drink the tea.  But I have to say that the tea was horrible to drink and most of us left it.

Day 7 we visited the historical city of Nara and visited the Todaiji temple which contained a huge bronze Buddha statue.  The temple is set in a beautiful park full of deer.  The deer are very tame and when they approach you they bow twice which is very sweet to see.  It is their way of asking for food. The afternoon we visited Osaka castle which is beautiful. 

Day 8 was our second day on the bullet train to Hioshima. After arriving we headed straight to Miyajima Island which is very scenic as it has a floating shrine.  We were lucky enough to see a wedding whilst there which was very beautiful.  The island contains lots of little shops and stalls selling local food.

That evening we had a go at okonomiyaki making which they call Japanese pancakes.  We sat in tables of four with a table which contains a hot plate and we mixed all your ingredients together and cooked it.  It is our equivalent of bubble and squeak, very tasty.

Hiroshima was our visit for day nine where we paid a visit to peace memorial park and the a-bomb museum.  It is a very moving day and some of the group were moved to tears. 

We finished the day by visiting a local canal area which contained lots of little shops.  It was a lovely picturesque place and we could have spent a lot longer there.

Day 10 we travelled to Kobe a pretty port area.  We visited Himeji Castle which dates back to 1333.  We did tour inside the castle and climbed seven floors to the top.  There is a lovely view from the top of the castle. 

This was our last evening in Japan and we had the chance to eat Kobe beef.  Kobe beef is a speciality of the area and the cattle are extremely well looked after.  Every day they are given a massage and beer to drink as well as being fed on good quality feed.  The beef is beautiful and is cooked in front of you on hot plates.  It was a lovely way to end our holiday.

Overall this is a fantastic holiday the Japanese people are lovely and we had some wonderful guides. I have to say a special thank you to our tour manager Alison Bisset who did an amazing job.  She is very professional , well organised and a lot of fun. 

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julie,

Welcome back - it sounds like you had a wonderful holiday - thank you for sharing your experience on the Just You Community.

Kindest regards,

Julia

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for this very interesting review, Julie. I've never ever thought of going to Japan but you've sown a seed in my mind so perhaps...

Ann

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julie

What a lovely comprehensive review. Japan is on my list of destinations to visit. Was there lots of vegetarian food available or not? I do eat eggs but not meat.

Jaya

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the great review - Japan sounds wonderful!  It is definitely on my list but then again so are so many other destinations!

All the best,

Bob

PS Looking forward to finally meeting in Burma!

Julie White
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Julie

What a lovely comprehensive review.  Japan is on my list of destinations to visit.   Was there lots of vegetarian food available or not?  I do eat eggs but not meat.

Jaya

Thank you Jaya.  Surprisingly there was no vegetarians on this trip.  No sure how they would cater for your needs as we didn't have many vegetables.  In fact when we did get broccoli towards the end of the holiday we all excited.  We had lots of fish, noodles rice and some pickled vegetable but not many.

Enjoy Borneo and Singapore

Julie White
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the great review - Japan sounds wonderful!  It is definitely on my list but then again so are so many other destinations!

All the best,

Bob

PS Looking forward to finally meeting in Burma!

Thank you Bob, 

Enjoy Borneo and Singapore.  I expect a comprehensive review as I go in June and will need a few hints and tips

Regards Julie

Saramai
(Member)
What was the food like? Iam going on Saturday and don't react well to shell fish or fish in general and am a bit worried about this.

Thank you I am really glad you enjoyed!

PaulineD
(Member)
Thank you for a very comprehensive review Julie.  I am on the tour that is departing on Saturday and am getting very excited.

PaulineD

Julie White
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Pauline and Saramai,

You will have a fantastic time and you will love the toilets, they are amazing. I have to say we had a lot of fish. There was a couple of people on our trip who couldn't eat shellfish and they were looked after, with alternatives. I didn't enjoy all the food but apart from that you will love it.

Regards Julie

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Julie for your reply. I guess if and when I go to Japan I will have to live on rice and noodles!

Jaya

PaulineD
(Member)
'Saramai' wrote:

What was the food like? Iam going on Saturday and don't react well to shell fish or fish in general and am a bit worried about this.

Hi Saramai,

I see you are on the same tour as I am.  Will look forward to meeting you in the airport lounge if not before.  Relly excited now!!

PaulineD

PaulineD
(Member)
'Julie White' wrote:

Hello Pauline and Saramai,

You will have a fantastic time and you will love the toilets, they are amazing.   I have to say we had a lot of fish.  There was  a couple of people on our trip who couldn't eat shellfish and they were looked after, with alternatives.  I didn't enjoy all the food but apart from that you will love it.

Regards Julie

Hi Julie,

You mentioned the toilets in your post.  Are they similar to China where you are issued one sheet of paper when you walk in and are they standy uppy toilets or the civilised sit on ones?  They had a brilliant toilet at the Panda sanctuary which was made by Panasonic and had various electronic facilities on it!!!!!  Sorry to get down to basics but if you don't ask you don't know!!

Regards

PaulineD

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the great review... I work for a Japanese company and I have been hoping to get a trip to Japan for free..... however after 8 years working for them I am no closer to this free trip - so perhaps I will have to bite the bullet and book this one.

Jaya, I can advised that the Japanese don't really do vegetarian, a bit like the Chinese. I am sure they would be able to offer you something without meat but I doubt it would be very exciting.

Kezzer

Julie White
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Pauline,

Most of the toilets are amazing. They have heated seats which can make sounds if you wish (saves you whistling) and deodorise. They are also bidets. Most of the group were drying their socks on the seats in the evening, so they tell me. There are the occasional squat toilets.

Everyone loved the toilets.

Regards Julie

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kezzer

Thanks Kezzer. When I go on holiday I always say that it is not 'home' so I make do with whatever food is on offer. Food is the last thing on my mind when I go on holiday even though I do love food so I would not let this small problem put me off from going to Japan one day.

Hopefully your turn for a free trip to Japan will come soon!

Jaya

Taffy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julie

Thank you for the review. Japan is definitely on my shortlist and hoping to go in the next year or two. It's sounds like you had a very interesting time. 

Taffy.

Saramai
(Member)
'PaulineD' wrote:

'Saramai' wrote:

Hi Saramai,

I see you are on the same tour as I am.  Will look forward to meeting you in the airport lounge if not before.  Relly excited now!!

PaulineD

Saramai
(Member)
'PaulineD' wrote:

'Saramai' wrote:

Hi Saramai,

Oh

PaulineD

Oh good! Have been packing etc all afternoon! I live in north wales and am going with train down to Heathrow on Friday and staying overnight before going to the airport Sat morning. I have never been on a JY hol before! I'n not worried just hope I'll be ok in the airport especially landside!!

PaulineD
(Member)
'Julie White' wrote:

Hello Pauline,

Most of the toilets are amazing.  They have heated seats which can make sounds if you wish (saves you whistling) and deodorise.  They are also bidets.  Most of the group were drying their socks on the seats in the evening, so they tell me. There are the occasional squat toilets.

Everyone loved the toilets.

Regards Julie

Ha ha, That;s brilliant.  Thanks Julie.  It sounds as though I will be spending a lot of time in the toilets!!

PaulineD