Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All,

This was a fabulous holiday in an untouched, and untouristy part of Italy. There were 23 of us, all women, except for one delightful elderly gentleman. On arrival at Gatwick at 4 a.m. (!), I personally did not see a JY rep, although I had been informed prior that one would be there. No problem. I knew that Sue Dunford, our excellent Tour Manager, would be meeting us at Naples Airport. British Airways managed to produce probably one of the most disgusting breakfasts I have ever had on their aircraft (eat before, if you can manage it at that time of the morning!). It was a short flight though.

The coach trip down to Cetraro took about 4 hours, but we did stop at least twice. We had a photo stop to see the wonderful Amalfi coast, and at lunchtime we stopped at a service station, but it had a very good restaurant at the back, where most of us enjoyed our first pasta/red wine/Italian beer etc. of the day! I think for next year, JY are looking at flying out of Stansted to a more local airport, rather than Naples.

Grand Hotel San Michele! Superb hotel where we were based for the full 7 nights. It is built in to the side of the mountain, has a long and fascinating history, wonderful views to the sea, own farm, vineyards, 9 hole golf course (you can hire clubs etc.), own beach (reached via an outside lift which takes 1 min. 47 seconds to descend), own beach restaurant. All the meals were "silver service" with a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains, 3 deserts. Most of their wine was their own, and very drinkable. The pasta, croissants, jams etc. were all homemade, and all the vegetables and fruit came from their own farm. Do not expect to lose weight on this holiday! The staff were always wonderful and atterntive, and you even got a plate of canapes with your pre-dinner drinks! A special mention must go to Ornella who owns the hotel and Andrea in the bar!

All excursions were included. The first day we had a tour of the farm, wine tasting, red hot chilli pepper chutney tasting, and a trip down to the beach. Absolutely everything is put on your room number, so theoretically you don't need any money, as you pay by credit card at the end. I thoroughly recommend buying a tin of their own olive oil, and the said chilli pepper chutney, which they will wrap for you. As I came down with the dreaded cold, I didn't manage 2 of the excursions (Altomonte, the medieval town) and Cosenza (lots of clothes shopping!), but everyone enjoyed them. The Sila Mountains were great, although a little chilly, and the best pizza I have had for many years - you can get all your food shopping here in Cammigliatello.

I really enjoyed the trip to Belvedere and Diamante - the latter is famous for said chilli peppers! We had lunch (not included) here on the waterfront, and I had some excellent seafood.

The only bad meal we had the whole week, was when we went out to a local restaurant "Il Casello". Maybe we were just unlucky, as a friend of mine did this trip in August and she said they had a fantastic meal!

The hotel, for me, was the star of the holiday. If you just want to relax (the only way you can get to the local town is via the hotel's mini bus, or presumably a taxi), the hotel is wonderfully comfortable with sweeping terraces, and lovely grounds. Be warned though - if you do have any "serious" mobility problems, you will struggle on this holiday. There are a lot of steps/slopes/steep ground and high steps up to the medieval villages. I was forewarned due to my new hip, and managed fine, but did take my stick just in case.

A top tip - try and get a seaview room if you can - Travelsphere were also in the hotel, and I thought they might have bagged all the good rooms, but no!

An excellent holiday, with a really good group, and a super TM who spoke fluent Italian, so we didn't have a local guide.If you want to see an untouched part of Italy (and the Mafia are still in the local village!), then this is the holiday for you.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
hi Hils,

I'm delighted to hear you had such a wonderful holiday. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Just You Community.

I have, as I always do, forwarded all of your comments on to the wider Just You team to read.

Kindest regards,

Julia

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
I certainly agree with your review, Hils. I went to Calabria in May last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. The beach was inaccessible for the first part of the holiday because the lift was out of action and, as the main holiday season had not begun, the cafe down there wasn't running but the grounds are huge so there wasn't any problem finding somewhere else to walk and the swimming pool was fine for sunbathing by. All in all it was a very relaxing holiday in a beautiful, unspoiled part of the world. I certainly agree with your warning to anyone with mobility problems. You do need to be good on your feet (with a stick if necessary), not just for all the steps and uneven ground around the hotel but also when visiting any of the towns and villages - like most old places in the Mediterranean and on the Adriatic, the streets are narrow, usually steep, and made of very shiny stones. When I went, two of our group were seriously disabled and therefore generally confined to the hotel terraces and lounge - a long way to go for that.

Ann

PS I, too, bought a tin of the hotel's olive oil, very well sealed for transport in a suitcase, and only recently used the last of it (so now I am back to Aldi's for their Puglian olive oil - another reminder of a previous JY holiday).

Julie White
(Member)
Hello My Calm Air Pal,

A wonderful review Hils. Sounds like you had a good trip apart from getting a cold. I love Italy and I must go back when I get a free week. Not sure when then that will be as I have a lot of trips booked for next year and I am just trying to decide where to go in 2017.

Have you got your new camera yet?

Warm regards

Julie

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils, thanks for this fantastic review. I really want to do this holiday now after reading it! There are so many brilliant places to go in Italy and I look forward to experiencing more of this wonderful country in the years ahead.

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for writing a review of this holiday, sounds as if you had a great time apart from your cold. I have not seen a JY rep at departure airport for many tours now. As it was a short flight I was surprised you got anything food wise from BA shame it wasn't any good.

Cindy

Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julie wrote:

Hello My Calm Air Pal,

A wonderful review Hils. Sounds like you had a good trip apart from getting a cold. I love Italy and I must go back when I get a free week. Not sure when then that will be as I have a lot of trips booked for next year and I am just trying to decide where to go in 2017.

Have you got your new camera yet?

Warm regards

Julie

Hi Calm Air Pal,

Thank you for your kind words! It's a new lens I've got - Nikon 18-300mm - I've been practising for Borneo in the local Safari Park! I haven't booked Namibia for September yet, but am still planning on doing this one too. How about you?

Cheers,

Hils

Bosuncat
(Member)
Wonderful review Hils. So pleased you enjoyed yourself. Glad you managed okay with your new hip!
christine johnson
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

Thanks for writing a review of this holiday, sounds as if you had a great time apart from your cold. I have not seen a JY rep at departure airport for many tours now. As it was a short flight I was surprised you got anything food wise from BA shame it wasn't any good.

Cindy

the food on BA is disgusting these days. On my recent trip we had half a doorstep fatty bacon,lettuce tomato bit of bread. They seem to pay more attention in designing the box, than the food. Get a free glass of wine. why can,t they do a decent sandwich.

Chris

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils

I am so pleased you enjoyed Calabria. I went there last September and really enjoyed this holiday. You are right about lots of steps. Chilli jam and cheese makes very good sandwiches! I enjoyed my chilli jam, which I had purchased. They are quite caring at the hotel. When I was there we had very heavy rain one evening and even though I had a torch and an umbrella, one of the hotel staff insisted on accompanying me with a large umbrella to my 'garden' room. They wanted to make sure I got to my room safely. I would not mind going back again some day once I have 'exhausted' all other holidays on offer.

Jaya

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Chris

I agree with you about food on British Airways. I personally do not like flying with them. One of the friends I met on Just You holiday recently flew to Greece on British Airways. She had upgraded herself to Business Class and told me that the food was disgusting and the plane was very cold. They did not have any blankets, not even in business class.

Jaya

Julie White
(Member)
Hi My Calm Air Pal,

I am definitely going to book Namibia for next September. You will be an expert with your new lens by then. You will put us all to shame.

Do you have a season pass for the safari park?

Warm regards Julie