SarahS
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
My weekend didn't get off to the best start. Problems with the telephone lines when booking, and agents who had no detailed knowledge of the tour. A big thank you here to Julia for finding the answers to my questions. Then, the departure time was brought forward by three hours from the published one, adding the expense of an overnight stay in London to the overall cost. At this point, I like several others on the tour was ready to cancel, only to be told that as JY didn't consider it to be a major change no refund could be made. ( Not quite sure how this fits with ABTA, I will investigate this before my next booking). So it was with a few misgivings that I embarked on the tour. That said, the tickets did arrive in good time, , although the tone of the accompanying letter and information could have been friendlier especially with regard to luggage.

Friday

Check in at St Pancras was straightforward, I arrived quite early, so the security and immigration queues were not too long. The departure area is bright and spacious with plenty of comfortable seating a couple of places selling drinks and snacks. Boarding was via moving ramp up to the platform. I easily found space in the luggage rack at the end of the carriage for my weekend sized suitcase. Once seated our tour manager, Lynn, who I had missed at check in found me, introduced herself, and gave me instructions for arrival in Paris.

After a comfortable journey we arrived on time in Paris. The platform at Gare du Nord was chaotic with so many passengers and a number of other groups all trying to leave the station, but Lynn led us safely to our waiting bus, and luggage stowed, we set off for Maffliers. I had read several reviews of the tour, and already knew that bedrooms are not in the chateau, but a nearby block. Several of the group, however, given the name of the hotel, were disappointed not to be staying in a chateau. Check in was quick and efficient, greatly assisted by Lynn taking charge. The promised hotel porterage didn't materialise but it wasn't a major problem as there was a lift to the upper floors. The rooms were bright and spacious, with the bonus of tea making facilities, which are not always available in french hotels. In the evening, we gathered for a game of boules which was a great icebreaker, and glass of wine or two, before a very enjoyable welcome dinner in a beautifully pannelled private dining room in the chateau.

Saturday

Because the hotel is in a very pleasant but rural location, there little to do those who don't take the optional excursion to Chantilly. All of our group did the trip. As throughout our tour, we were blessed with glorious sunny weather. The chateau at Chantilly has something to interest everyone. An interesting art collection, beautiful grounds with a stunning parterre, and horses and a spectacular stables. There are restaurants and a cafe serving everything from a full meal to a snack. The croqe monsieur is highly rrecommended.

I didn't join the Paris by night tour but those who did said they enjoyed it very much. I opted for quiet night with a excellent room service meal.

Sunday

Monet's garden lived up to exectations. The border were riot of colour, and the water lilies were in flower. It was fascinating to see the house were Monet lived , and the studio where he painted. The village of Giverney is very picturesque, we found a nice cafe for lunch, then had a look at church and the graveyard where Monet is buried. Lynn had offered to arrange a group meal for anyone interested, and the whole group decided to come together for a last supper. A nice end to the tour.

Monday

After leaving the hotel, we had the bonus of a short stop in Paris. Just enough time for a stroll and a coffee on the Champs Elysees or in my case at look at the Willow series of paintings in L'Orangerie, which were donated to France by Monet in memory of the fallen of the first world war. All too soon we were arriving back at Gare du Nord for our journey home. The procedure here was a bit more chaotic then at St Pancras but our redoubtable tour manger persuaded various officials to let us through the queues as a group. The return train also left on time for a smooth journey back to London. After a shakey, start, a very enjoyable and memorable weekend. Thanks to all my travelling companions for there friendship and company. And a special thank you to Lynn who led us with unfailing good humour.

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi SarahS,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent trip with us.

I have forwarded all of your comments on to the wider Just You team so they too are able to see your valuable feedback.

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Glad you had a good time away, after the few hiccups. Thankyou for your review

Cindy

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Sarah,

This was a wonderful review and thank you for it. This trip has been on my to do list for a long time. Other trips have had first place as I know the area quite well as my penfriend lives down the road and Paris - well I have lost count on how many times I have been there :P

Jan

SarahS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I would thoroughly recommend this holiday. I was very surprised to see two rather negative reviews on Feefo, regarding hotel food and staff. Regular readers will know I can be very critical, but I had no complaint with either the hotel staff or the food, although I can't comment on the gluten free option. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially in the bar. Although both evening meals we had were set menus, the food was well cooked and presented, and service was good. The final meal was optional, and at 23 euros for three courses I thought good value.

Breakfast was a good choice of well cooked hot and cold food.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

Unfortunately there are some people who are never satisfied or pleased with anything! Some people like to complain even though there is nothing to complain about. This is why I hardly go online to read reviews on Feefo or any other sites and if I do, take them with a pinch of salt.

Jaya

SarahS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just seen a further comment on feefo. Twenty five ladies and only one man! You couldn't make it up.