wesspan
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just got back from Berlin (first holiday with JY) and thought I'd leave a review/ summary for anyone who is interested in visiting.

For anybody who is interested in architecture, arts & culture, history - I'd wholeheartedly recommend it! There's so much to see, I didn't go to half the places on my list.

Here's the lengthy bit:

A rep met us at Heathrow: she was approachable and helpful/ answered my questions. Although I didn't meet any of the group at the airport, the seats were near each other on the plane and conversations naturally happened.

The first day is a great time to meet others in the group as everyone introduces themselves and has a chat over the welcome meal.

Greta, our Tour Manager, met us at Berlin Tegel airport. She's warm and welcoming, easy to chat to.

Day 1: On the coach journey to the hotel, we passed through the SW of the city and Greta gave us a brief introduction to the sights/ city. We had arrived early so went for an orientation walk from the hotel to Alexanderplatz. There's some time to freshen up/ rest before the welcome meal.

Day 2: Guided coach tour in the morning. We stopped briefly at East Side Gallery (where part of the Wall still remains) and Schloss Charlottenburg - our guide Hilke gave a quick talk about each spot. I liked this because both those places are a little bit further from the centre, and would be more difficult to travel to. The tour ended at Brandenburger Tor - again, Hilke pointed out some of the highlights in the area.

After lunch, some of us went on the river cruise: this is interesting for the sights you see from the water. Although there was English commentary, it was quiet and sometimes came a bit too late - we'd passed the relevant building!

Free time in the late afternoon/ early evening for exploring - a few of us visited the Dom (Cathedral) and decided to meet up for dinner near the hotel.

Day 3: Guided tour of the Allied Museum - our guide Jessica had a great voice and was so enthusiastic, I found it much more interesting because of her.

We were really lucky to have been booked for a visit to the Reichstag - the view around Berlin is great, and the structure itself is amazing. There's an informative and interesting audioguide available from the desk before you go out onto the roof - I'd recommend collecting one.

I didn't go to the farewell dinner at the TV tower, so spent some time walking around. There are lots of people around in the evening.

Day 4: Free time in the morning before flight back to U.K. This was a good opportunity to relax, or make a last-minute purchase, though you needed to be mindful of the departure time (a coach took us from the hotel to airport).

There's free time after each excursion to do as you wish. The TM suggested places to visit, but there was no pressure to go.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip: there were many opportunities to visit places with others in the group, as well as spend time alone. This city break was a great introduction/ overview of Berlin, and I could easily have stayed a couple of days longer.