magpie10
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've just returned from this excellent holiday with 27 (well, 25 lovely people, as there were a couple on the holiday (why?!) who decided to sit on their own away from the rest of the group for meals and didn't bother with the rest of the group during the holiday - but everyone else was lovely.

We had the brilliant Linda Robinson as our tour rep, and she met us at Heathrow - I always like meeting the rep and knowing they're competent before I leave the country where possible - means I can relax more and enjoy my holiday.

Mykonos is a lovely place, we had a nice 2 hour guided tour around, then some of us stopped for lunch, before having a little look round and catching the coach back to our hotel - a little more time in Mykonos wouldn't have gone amiss, though I probably would have got lost in the narrow streets! I know some of the ladies went back in over the coming days, but as I'd booked all the optional tours I didn't get chance. We also ate in the local taverna and got a choice of our main meal, the food was lovely.

Delos was a half-day tour, the guided tour lasted about an hour before we had chance to go round the museum - this was a nice trip.

Ano Mera - visited the church there, then had lunch before looking round for a bit and going back to the hotel - nice easy day.

Travelled by high-speed boat to Santorini. It was really windy so the boat was about an hour late - luckily Linda arranged for us to stay on the bus if we wanted to, so we didn't have to stand around with our luggage. The boat sets off a bit quickly though so it's best to find your seat as soon as you can.

Santorini is beautiful. We had a late start today (1.15pm) and went to Fira - had plenty of time to look around, have lunch, go shopping - the streets are lined with lovely shops and there are plenty of nice places to go for lunch - I was overlooking the islands and had a fantastic view. Then went to Oia for the sunset - had a guided tour first, before settling down to view the sunset (it was a bit windy though).

Optional tour to Nea Kameni volcano, with opportunity to walk up, then stopped at hot springs giving everyone the opportunity to swim in the hot springs if they wanted. Stopped at Thirassia for lunch and a wander along the beach before taking long voyage back along the coastline of Santorini - seeing Oia, Fira, etc. Snacks (sandwiches, crisps, etc), and hot/cold drinks, beers, etc were available to buy on the boat and were all very reasonably priced.

Optional tour - visited Acrotiri (this is inside), with our guide. Stopped at vantage point for views - it was raining today so it was a bit misty so the views weren't as spectacular as they would have been on a clear day. The wine tasting involved sitting at tables having a small introduction to the wines, nibbles and wine tasting, before having a little free time - this was nice. Went to local beach after this, Linda changed the location so it was further along the coast with ample eating places and more shops as with the weather not being as good we could spend more time indoors if need be. Had our last group evening meal in a local taverna, the weather had deteriorated by this point so Linda and our local rep Dora worked wonders to get us a coach from the hotel to a short distance from the taverna to save us getting as wet.

Overall this was a lovely holiday and the weather was sunny and hot every day bar one - it's worth noting it's VERY WINDY all of the time so it's worth taking a hat (and making sure you can secure it to your head at all times), I used a scarf to fasten it round my chin in the end! Also, as you are travelling on boats a bit of the time (especially if you do the optional tours), it's worth remembering the wind makes the sea a bit choppy so if you're seasick it's worth taking something before you travel.

I found both hotels to be more than adequate for my needs and the food was nice and plentiful, the staff helpful and courteous. All in all a great trip.

Bosuncat
(Member)
'magpie10' wrote:

I've just returned from this excellent holiday with 27 (well, 25 lovely people, as there were a couple on the holiday (why?!) who decided to sit on their own away from the rest of the group for meals and didn't bother with the rest of the group during the holiday - but everyone else was lovely.

We had the brilliant Linda Robinson as our tour rep, and she met us at Heathrow - I always like meeting the rep and knowing they're competent before I leave the country where possible - means I can relax more and enjoy my holiday.

Mykonos is a lovely place, we had a nice 2 hour guided tour around, then some of us stopped for lunch, before having a little look round and catching the coach back to our hotel - a little more time in Mykonos wouldn't have gone amiss, though I probably would have got lost in the narrow streets! I know some of the ladies went back in over the coming days, but as I'd booked all the optional tours I didn't get chance. We also ate in the local taverna and got a choice of our main meal, the food was lovely.

Delos was a half-day tour, the guided tour lasted about an hour before we had chance to go round the museum - this was a nice trip.

Ano Mera - visited the church there, then had lunch before looking round for a bit and going back to the hotel - nice easy day.

Travelled by high-speed boat to Santorini. It was really windy so the boat was about an hour late - luckily Linda arranged for us to stay on the bus if we wanted to, so we didn't have to stand around with our luggage. The boat sets off a bit quickly though so it's best to find your seat as soon as you can.

Santorini is beautiful. We had a late start today (1.15pm) and went to Fira - had plenty of time to look around, have lunch, go shopping - the streets are lined with lovely shops and there are plenty of nice places to go for lunch - I was overlooking the islands and had a fantastic view. Then went to Oia for the sunset - had a guided tour first, before settling down to view the sunset (it was a bit windy though).

Optional tour to Nea Kameni volcano, with opportunity to walk up, then stopped at hot springs giving everyone the opportunity to swim in the hot springs if they wanted. Stopped at Thirassia for lunch and a wander along the beach before taking long voyage back along the coastline of Santorini - seeing Oia, Fira, etc. Snacks (sandwiches, crisps, etc), and hot/cold drinks, beers, etc were available to buy on the boat and were all very reasonably priced.

Optional tour - visited Acrotiri (this is inside), with our guide. Stopped at vantage point for views - it was raining today so it was a bit misty so the views weren't as spectacular as they would have been on a clear day. The wine tasting involved sitting at tables having a small introduction to the wines, nibbles and wine tasting, before having a little free time - this was nice. Went to local beach after this, Linda changed the location so it was further along the coast with ample eating places and more shops as with the weather not being as good we could spend more time indoors if need be. Had our last group evening meal in a local taverna, the weather had deteriorated by this point so Linda and our local rep Dora worked wonders to get us a coach from the hotel to a short distance from the taverna to save us getting as wet.

Overall this was a lovely holiday and the weather was sunny and hot every day bar one - it's worth noting it's VERY WINDY all of the time so it's worth taking a hat (and making sure you can secure it to your head at all times), I used a scarf to fasten it round my chin in the end! Also, as you are travelling on boats a bit of the time (especially if you do the optional tours), it's worth remembering the wind makes the sea a bit choppy so if you're seasick it's worth taking something before you travel.

I found both hotels to be more than adequate for my needs and the food was nice and plentiful, the staff helpful and courteous. All in all a great trip.

Great review Magpie. :thumbup:

I have looked at this one several times and was put off initially because of poor reviews on the hotels. Good to hear from you that you were satisfied.

I'm not put off by choppy seas and wind but need to ask you how bad is the walking for steep downward slopes and cobblestones?

magpie10
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bosuncat,

I found both hotels to be very clean, which is the main thing with me - the hotel staff cleaned my room properly every day (sometimes this isn't the case), and my bins were emptied (important in Greece as you can't flush loo roll down the toilet-this took some getting used to, but I put everything in scented bags as I thought it would be easier for the chambermaid). The food was varied, there was always potato, pasta, rice, vegetables, fish, meat and chicken, plus local meals, like cheese pie which was nice, so always something to eat. Two of the meals were in local tavernas instead of the hotel, but you could also eat in the tavernas instead of the hotel if you didn't want to use the hotel.

Whilst there are a lot of cobbled, narrow streets, and steps you have to watch out for, both our local guide or Linda our rep always walked ahead and made sure we were watching where we were going, not to mention the group all looking out for each other. We had a few older people, and a few with disabilities, and they had no problems, Linda always said just to do what we felt comfortable with. Some stayed in a cafe at the bottom of the hill when we had one guided tour, some did some of it then turned back, whilst others felt comfortable doing all of it so I would say don't let cobblestones/slopes put you off as you don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with.

If you need any further advice please let me know.

Regards

Caroline

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

Thanks for the review. I know bosuncat has her eye on this holiday haha!

Mark

Bosuncat
(Member)
'marks' wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the review. I know bosuncat has her eye on this holiday haha!

Mark

I have my eye on several as you know Mark! :)

And thanks Caroline!

Mavis D
(Member)
Thanks for the review. I am booked for Mykonos & Santorini on 2 June and found this very helpful and reassuring, having read some previously bad reviews about hotels.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi if you are looking for any other reassurance about this tour, have a look at Feefo - there are a couple of very positive reviews of this holiday just gone up today (Wednesday).

http://www.feefo.com/GB/en/reviews/Just-You_Just-You/?id=382020 

Best wishes,

Bob

Mavis D
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi if you are looking for any other reassurance about this tour, have a look at Feefo - there are a couple of very positive reviews of this holiday just gone up today (Wednesday).

http://www.feefo.com/GB/en/reviews/Just-You_Just-You/?id=382020 

Best wishes,

Bob

Bob, Thanks for the link.

Mavis

Mike C
(Member)
Have just returned from this trip myself, departed 2nd June. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone should give either of the hotels we used anything other than a good to excellent review, other than that Just You have changed them since the original review. For the record our hotel on Mykonos was the Aphrodite Beach at Kalafatis, and on Santorini the Aphrodite Venus Beach at Kamari. Both were very clean, cleaners in every day, the staff at both were friendly and helpful and the food at both was more than adequate. I myself felt that the food on Santorini was marginally better, but one or two on our trip thought that Mykonos was better, so that shows how close it was. Both hotels were right on the beach, so location for both was perfect, and at neither was the issue of noise mentioned by anyone on our trip that I can remember.

Just another point to mention, our tour guide was Paula, who was absolutely brilliant, often going way beyond the call of duty to help the less able and mobile members of our party. If you are lucky to get Paula on any future trips, you won't go wrong. It was my first Just You trip and surpassed all my expectations.