nixon
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Boston - New England - Canada - New York + Add On 23rd Sept – 7th Oct 2014

My thoughts on this tour: 17 on tour (6 Men and 11 Ladies) Tour Manager Lynne Mooney Age group 40-.70

Day 1. BOSTON: Flight to Boston went on time and journey over was good. I had requested an aisle seat but was given a window seat. Got to Midtown Hotel in Boston approx 3pm. This hotel was adequate and I would say the least favourite of them all I was in room 124. Tour Manage took us over to the nearby Prudential Food Court at 6pm for a bite to eat, which was 5-7 mins away. There is a pool which was closed some of the group would of perhaps like to of known that before hand. Early night for me. Breakfast was served from 7am and I had a room with 2 double beds in. Iron/Ironing Board + hairdryer provided. WIFI

Day 2. BOSTON: Jet lag always a problem for me so wide awake from 04.00am, Left at 9.00am for guided tour, Harvard, Paul Revere Church, got dropped off at Quincy Market had lunch then had a stroll back with others past many things including the Cheers Bar, Capital Building, Parks etc. All meet at 7.15pm to go for the welcome meal and drink which was a short walk away to a fish restaurant Legal Sea Food, many people had the lobster and they can decant the meat out of it for you if needed. The compliment drink was either wine or beer. You had a starter – main – pudding, tea/coffee I was back to hotel by 10.30pm.

Day 3. BOSTON: The main tour group left at 8.00am for there full day tour of Cape Cod, as I had already done this before I had arranged to go Whale Watching through Boston Harbour Cruises I did book this online before I left. I booked a Combination ticket for this and also entry in the Boston Aquarium. I did get a taxi there and back which cost $ 15.00 each way, which included the tip. The trip was 3 hours and I saw 11 Hump Backs and 2 Minkys well worth doing this if you have the time. Went into the Aquarium after which was interesting. I left hotel 9.15am got back 4pm. Met up with all the others at 7pm, walked over the road again and ate in the Cheese Factory for tea. Pasta - Drink – Cheesecake, $35.00 SCRUMMY.

Day 4. MOVING ON TO CONWAY: cases out 7.30am left at 8.30am numerous stops on route. Long day on coach got to Fox Ridge Hotel 5.00pm. I was in room 139 Pool, bar, 2 double beds, Iron Board NO iron but I got one from reception, fridge, Hairdryer. Went over the road to a pub for a meal. BE AWARE this is down a steep hill; I think I nearly needed oxygen when I got to the top. There was a restaurant in the hotel. WIFI

Day 5. MOVING ON TO STOWE: cases out 7.30am Left at 8.30am Moving onto to Stowe, Stops along the way one was Bricks Oldest Store and Covered Bridge, Vermont State House, Lunch, Montpellier Maple Place? Got to hotel 4pm, Commodore Inn Room 230 Bar – Pool – 2 double beds. No Iron or board or hairdryer WIFI ate that night in the hotel.

Day 6. MOVING ONTO MONTREAL CANADA: 6.45am wake up call 7.15am cases our left 8.15am. Into Canada lunch was a subway, City tour I found this city grubby if I am honest with many down and outs back to hotel 4.30pm. I didn’t go out this evening had food in room, and relaxed. Holiday Inn Hotel Room 403 WIFI Newspapers 2 double beds sitting room Kitchenette.

DAY 7. Quebec Tour: Wake up call 6.15am Breakfast 6.30am Left 7.15am. Approx 3 hour driver there and 3 hours back Guided City Tour. Unfortunately on this day the weather was absolutely appalling gale force winds and rain to match. We did make a lunch stop there for 1-½ hours. Back to hotel again I stayed in.

Day 8. MOVING ON TO OTTOWA TORONTO: Wake up call 6.30am Bags out 7.00am Left 8.00am. Very long drive day got to hotel 7pm. Eaton Chelsea Hotel room 1143 WIFI double bed hairdryer Iron/ironing board we did make stops along the way Parliamentary Building, market stop for 1 ½ for Lunch. Stopped at the Big Apple Pie Factory for the best apple pie in the area, we all agreed it wasn’t the best we have had. Went straight out for Tea to the Elephant and Castle Pub right near the hotel very good food when we got to hotel back in room by 9pm.

Day 9. TORONTO: 7.30am wake up call left 8.50am 2 hour guided tour around Toronto town etc. When we got to CN Tower weather had not lifted so due to poor visibility we did not go up to see the great views. So we then all did our own thing walked back via Eaton shopping centre very large. Theatre very close by so booked tickets up to see WICKED $100.00 was very good. Back to hotel 10.30pm.

Day 10. NIAGARA FALLS AND ONTO ROCHESTER: bags out 8.00am left 9.00am approx 1 ½ drive and then 5 of us were dropped off at the Helicopter point, very good views were had. Coach then came and got us and dropped us off at the falls, had lunch then all met up to go on the Horn blower boat by the falls, we all got drenched, they do provide fetching ponchos. Stopped at Duty Free shop then all back on coach to go through customs and back into the USA. Got to hotel 5pm ate in hotel. Rochester Plaza room 622 Computers in reception iron/ironing board hairdryer

DAY 11. MOVING ONTO FRI-MON NEW YORK: Double Tree Hilton room 1703, NO WIFI only in lobby and restaurant iron/ironing board Computers in reception. 1 double bed. Breakfast 6.30am Bags out 7am Left 8.00am, Stops off along the way, stopped in Albany for Lunch got to hotel 3.30pm. Very tired by now! Went and got my own luggage after waiting 1 ½ hours Very large hotel I think there were over 30 floors?

I had a meal in the hotel with another lady while the main group went on New York by night tour. I have done this before.

DAY 12. 9/11 MUSEUM: woke 6am had breakfast. Main tour were on New York City tour, I had pre booked an audio guided 9/11 Museum Tour it was awfully weather again so I spent 5 hours in Museum. Was very worth going to see this. I walked back to hotel via Trinity Church. Met up with others to go for Pub meal back to hotel 10.30pm

DAY 13. STATUE OF LIBERTY AND ELLIS ISLAND: Main tour was on City Cruise. I had pre-booked tickets and boat ride. Very short walk to Battery Park to get on ferry beautiful weather for sight seeing, got off to see Statue then over to Ellis Island very interesting. Got back in time to meet some others and got train!!! To central park where we took a ride on a horse buggy around the park $50.00 20 mins. Or $90.00 for 40 mins. Train back 6pm. Meal at another local pub back to hotel 9.30pm. Very tired now! Main group left after the city cruise including Lynne. Leaving 8 of us left behind

DAY 14. JEWISH MUSEUM AND NATIVE INDIAN MUSEUM: This was my choice up and out by 9.45am both these Museums were close by. The Jewish Museum cost $12.00 entry and they had a holocaust exhibition on one floor. 3 floors in total. Other museum covered 2 floors and was free donations accepted. Back to hotel 3pm packed Met others and went for a very nice meal back to hotel 9.30pm.

Day 15. LEAVING DAY: Late breakfast for the first time and no alarm to wake me up! We all did our own thing, I went back to Trinity Church to take photos in better weather, I also went shopping in 21st Century a bit like TKMax very good bargains. Had to be out of room by Mid-Day. We had pre booked a 7-seated bus and a taxi to take us to airport, due to Obama being in our area we left at 2pm. Just as his Helicopter was landing. Got to airport in plenty of time, and got booked in, managed to get aisle seat so I was a happy lady. We had to wait on the tarmac while Air force 1 took off. Flight made up the lost time and we landed approx 20 mins late.

All hotels had tea/coffee machine of varying types in rooms other than NY hotel all had a shower over a low bath. NY was a walk in shower. All had TV and phones in room.

Highlights for me were Whale trip, Helicopter over falls and the boat ride, 9/11 Museum, Statue Liberty and Ellis Island. Museums. Weather overall not bad, most of the time a jacket was NOT needed. Disappointed at not doing CN Tower and parts of Canada. This was one of the smallest groups I have been away with.

Cindy

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

Welcome back!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your trip - hopefully future travellers will find this very useful with all the timings and the approximate costs.

Many thanks

Julia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy, great review - it feels like I've now done this holiday!! Pity about the weather at times but this does seem to be a common feature these days, climate change has a lot to answer for! Hope you enjoyed the tour, it sounds like you saw and did a lot.

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Cindy, great review - it feels like I've now done this holiday!! Pity about the weather at times but this does seem to be a common feature these days, climate change has a lot to answer for! Hope you enjoyed the tour, it sounds like you saw and did a lot.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

There you go as you feel you have been on this tour you won't need to book it now!..

I did enjoy the tour and as you say a great shame about the two bad weather days, in particular missing out on the CN Tower as I have now put this part of the world to bed and will not be going again. A great shame my friend was not able to see what I have seen, but that's life..

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy

A lovely comprehensive review. Unfortunately weather is something that is never guaranteed on a holiday. Glad you enjoyed the tour despite some bad weather.

Jaya

Bosuncat
(Member)
Wonderful review Cindy! :thumbup:

I kniow all about the ponchos at Niagara. I didn't need one because I had my wet weather gear with me, but my friends had one each and I have some great pics of them wearing them!

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Cindy- what a review!
nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'marks' wrote:

Cindy- what a review!

:thumbup: have I given to much Information ..:( or is this what people want to read, I have tried to come from another angle as there were already ditto reviews on this, so I have tried to give times and prices and also there are options you are allowed to do your own thing etc:D have you made your mind up where you going to visit next:P

Cindy

:angel:

the_baron1
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

Looks like you liked your JY holiday apart from weather conditions occasionally. Very comprensive review which I will show my partner. This is one of her "Must Do's" but I don't think it will be next year because she has already booked her next years one to Maderia already. Athough not with JY.

I have done New England and New York a couple of times but not Canada, that part anyway so I will be planning a Canadian tour sometime.

Eric

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'the_baron1' wrote:

Hi Cindy,

Looks like you liked your JY holiday apart from weather conditions occasionally. Very comprensive review which I will show my partner. This is one of her "Must Do's" but I don't think it will be next year because she has already booked her next years one to Maderia already. Athough not with JY.

I have done New England and New York a couple of times but not Canada, that part anyway so I will be planning a Canadian tour sometime.

Eric

Hello Eric

yes I had a good time..The lure for me was Canadian part and add in NY, I have been on Boston New England New York tour before but I was more than happy to revisit these places I will not be going back that way so really good to have free time to do my own thing, I am sure your partner would l like this tour, if she has any questions please just ask. What's your next tour going to be?

Cindy

the_baron1
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

'the_baron1' wrote:

Hi Cindy,

Eric

Hello Eric

yes I had a good time..The lure for me was Canadian part and add in NY, I have been on Boston New England New York tour before but I was more than happy to revisit these places I will not be going back that way so really good to have free time to do my own thing, I am sure your partner would l like this tour, if she has any questions please just ask. What's your next tour going to be?

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I have already booked my holiday for next year although it is not with JY. I'm going on one to Switzerland so being a train geek will be travelling on their railways for a week or so. Something I always wanted to do.

Another one I always wanted to do is across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver for the full 5 days of train travel. Unfortunately the holidays on offer only do the last part from Jasper to Vancouver then a weeks Alaskan cruise. Not into cruising as being a sailor for 35 years.So if I ever do it will be under my own steam and arranging.

Eric

Tracey1
(Member)
Hi Cindy. Great review. Its Tracey was on the trip with you. Finally got round to checking out the forum. Anyway just wanted to say it was great meeting you, and everyone else that was on the tour. I hope you enjoyed the add that you had . You never know might see you on another tour sometime. Take care Tracey xx
nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'the_baron1' wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

'the_baron1' wrote:

Hi Cindy,

Eric

Hello Eric

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I have already booked my holiday for next year although it is not with JY. I'm going on one to Switzerland so being a train geek will be travelling on their railways for a week or so. Something I always wanted to do.

Another one I always wanted to do is across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver for the full 5 days of train travel. Unfortunately the holidays on offer only do the last part from Jasper to Vancouver then a weeks Alaskan cruise. Not into cruising as being a sailor for 35 years.So if I ever do it will be under my own steam and arranging.

Eric

Eric

Switzerland by train sounds good...good for you 35 years as a sailor, my son only stayed in for 4 years with Royal Navy !

Cindy

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Tracey1' wrote:

Hi Cindy. Great review. Its Tracey was on the trip with you. Finally got round to checking out the forum. Anyway just wanted to say it was great meeting you, and everyone else that was on the tour. I hope you enjoyed the add that you had . You never know might see you on another tour sometime. Take care Tracey xx

Hi Tracey

Nice to see you posting on the boards, come and join in with us all on here again soon..hope your flight and getting home went to plan. Did you suffer much with jet lag I have had a tough time with it..I am glad I did the add on I managed to do all I wanted apart from walking the Brooklyn Bridge..Was nice meeting you, as you say we might bump into one another again one day

Cindy

kirst001
(Member)
Eric, I did the cross Canada trip from Toronto to Vancouver on the Canadian with Great Rail Journeys, in 2009. As far as I know they still do this trip, it did include the Rocky Mountaineer from Jasper to Vancouver, but it was a brilliant trip and worth every penny.

'the_baron1' wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

'the_baron1' wrote:

Hi Cindy,

Eric

Hello Eric

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Eric