Lucinda
(Member)
'Julie wrote:

Hello Lucinda

Yes I was on the trip to Iceland at new year. It was a fantastic holiday I had a great time. I hope everything is good with you. Do you have any more holidays planned?

Regards Julie

Hi Julie

You will love Costa Rica, it is fabulous. The hot springs are a bit different to what we experienced in Iceland but worth a visit. Im sure bob will tell you all you need to know but I'm here if you need. I'm off to Sri Lanka later this month, feeling all excited

Lucinda

garside
(Member)
I did not know this Forum existed as I would love to have commented before as I have been on several Just You trips.

I was then Costa Rica and Nicaragua trip which was just amazing the Tour Manager was first class, and she 'went the extra mile' and Alfonso was wonderful. What more can I say as I agree one hundred per cent with Bob's comments.

I took a lot of photographs and would love to show the odd one or two off but I am unsure how I can do this on the Forum. I would welcome some advise or is there somewhere else to send photograp[/size][/font]hs too?

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good morning garside

I'm so pleased to hear that you too had a great trip on the Costa Rica and Nicaragua tour.

At the moment we can't upload any photos on the Community (we're working on that). However, if you send in your photos to us at community@justyou.co.uk we can create an album on our Facebook page (crediting you for the photos) and then we'll post a link on here so everyone can see them.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Lucinda,

You will have a fantastic time in Sri Lanka. I went with Just you in 2007 and it was amazing.

Enjoy the trip and let me know how you get on.

Regards Julie

daphnemca
(Member)
Hi: A couple of friends and I are thinking of Costa Rica next March but the reviews of Iberian Airlines are not good on Air Equality. Would like to know from any of you who've been what their Economy was like - how was the leg room, did they have entertainment on demand, quality of food, were the seats comfortable and layout of seats. Also did JY include the free lounge pass at Heathrow.

May consider Business so comments from anybody who's done this please. It's a very long flight...........

Thanks

Daphne

BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Daphne, we had two slightly contrasting experiences with Iberian on this tour in that the plane on the way out was smaller, older and only had centralised tv screens which showed a couple of films - in case you get a similar plane, I'd advise you to bring a book or kindle!  On the way home, the plane was brand new, with great touch screen tv/entertainment systems.  I had no problems whatsoever with air quality on either flight or leg room.  The food was ok, just about edible!  As far as I'm concerned, the flight is just a means to an end.  The airports in Madrid and San Jose were great, very modern and comfortable.  We had no lounge passes in Heathrow because T5 doesn't have executive lounges!

Best wishes,

Bob

PS I hope you and your friends book!  The only other advice I'd give is make sure you have a good zoom lens on your camera and bring binoculars if you have them.

daphnemca
(Member)
Hi Bob: Thanks for the info. For me the flight is part of the holiday and the thought of getting this old plane even one way would put me off. I think all airlines on any longhaul flight of over 9 hours should have AVOD and this is one thing I try to check out. Business Class for Costa Rica is £2200+ extra making the holiday nearly £6000 with regional flights & hotel at airport so out of the question. I flew recently with Sri Lankan airlines and with TAM airlines a while back and ended up with backache as the seats were so hard, no AVOD on them either and food pretty bad. Iberia have very bad reviews on the internet. Most other companies go to CR via the USA. I think I'll do Vietnam & Cambodia next as I hear Malaysian are good, but then there's the long stopover coming back! All the other companies use Vietnam Airlines which also have very bad reviews. You can't win!

Daphne

Julie White
(Member)
Hello Bob,

My holiday is getting close now I travel on the 8th September.

Just a quick question about currency.

Which currency do you recommend I take to Costa Rica and Nicaragua? I was thinking of just taking US dollars.

I would appreciate any assistance you can give.

Warm regards Julie.

:thumbup:

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julie,

Yes I took US dollars on this tour, as did most people and we had no problem changing them into local currency in CR or Nicaragua. As far as I remember many of the shops and restaurants also took dollars as well. Not long to go now, you will have a fantastic time! I hope it's not as humid in Jaco as when I was there, be prepared for the heat!

Best wishes,

Bob

Julie White
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Julie,

Yes I took US dollars on this tour, as did most people and we had no problem changing them into local currency in CR or Nicaragua. As far as I remember many of the shops and restaurants also took dollars as well. Not long to go now, you will have a fantastic time! I hope it's not as humid in Jaco as when I was there, be prepared for the heat!

Best wishes,

Bob

Thanks Bob

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

All the best Julie

toni100
(Member)
Hi Bob

Great review. I've just posted a question about this tour. I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. Did you get any inoculations for the trip? It looks as if US dollars are the best currency to take have you an idea of what a sensible amount would be for eating out, tips etc? I don't want to carry around masses of money I won't need but equally I want enough to do everything possible.

Many thanks

Toni

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Toni, I think I also answered a post of yours on another thread - I've had numerous vaccinations over the last few years for various long haul tours - hepatitis, typhoid, tetanus etc. The only new ones I needed for this tour were three rabies jabs, just as a precaution. They do not prevent you getting rabies, but in the very unlikely event of you being bitten by a bat or a monkey, it gives you around 72 hours to get to a clinic/hospital!

Regarding money, if the tour doesn't include lunch and dinner, I usually budget around $50 a day and take a couple of hundred US$ extra just in case and I usually come home with some cash as well. If you let your bank know before you go, you should be able to use you debit card in ATMs as well and let your credit card company know as well, then you can use it too. Better safe than sorry! As far as I remember most (but not all) of the hotels had room safes.

All the best,

Bob

lesleyt
(Member)
Hi Bob

thanks for the wonderful report about your CR trip.I am looking forward to it more than ever now.My main interest is birds and wildlife, birds especially so i am very excited. You dont mention seeing any frogs and I was hoping to see some brightly coloured ones, were there not any?

Also can I ask you if there were hairdriers in the rooms?

thanks

Lesley

Grecos
(Member)
Hi Lesley,

I was on this fantastic trip with Bob last March. You will certainly see many birds. I think our 2 keen photographers counted up 92 species & I remember, conversing with the guide, we totted up a score of 21 species on one boat trip alone. We certainly saw one blue-jean frog, but it was where we made a lunch stop & I'm pretty certain that the gatekeeper had it permanently "trapped" on a tree stump. This little fella is probably one you don't want to meet under other circumstances! I'm racking my brains over the question of hairdriers as I have such an easy cut I rarely use one these days. I think that nowadays nearly all hotels provide ......if you can be bothered to google check each hotel on your itinerary they usually mention this in the facilities available. Make sure your dollar notes are squeaky clean or they will be rejected. Also arm yourself with as many one-dollar bills as you can find......these are invaluable for tipping. As far as inoculations go, my doctor in Greece has a slightly different take on things. To get a typhoid jab one has to go to a special centre in central Athens &, asking around, pharmacists etc have asked why on earth would I need one if I take all normal precautions. I have to say Bob that I think rabies innoculation is overkill. If you remember one lady was slightly bitten by a monkey at the reserve but all was well. Costa Rica is renowned for it's "Medi-tourism", if that is a good phrase, & you will never be far from good medical treatment. Perhaps we have to consider more what we are doing to our bodies by stuffing them with medication. In many countries a dog bite is a more likely rabies scenario but the chances of contracting anything on a short visit are so minimal......do we calculate the chances of being in a road accident when we visit some farflung places?

Have a great trip.

Sheila

Grecos
(Member)
Bob,

My apologies for an innacuracy/mental blip! The lady bitten by a monkey was on a trip to Peru & the Amazon. Happy travelling!

Sheila