saints96
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

Ive been looking for a holiday around september time but ive become very frustrated with the lack of holidays with flights available from Northern england, the holidays that do have flights from around here involve you flying out the day before and flying down to london then catching your flight out to your chosen destination the next day, its then the same for coming home so you get home the next day due to having to stop over in London. Im starting to wonder if travel companies even know that we do infact have airports up north and that London isnt the only place to fly from. Its getting to a point now where i may be forced to go elsewhere for my future holidays as Just you/travelsphere dont seem capeable to cater for anyone north of watford. This is a shame as ive seen a few holidays i like the look of but im afraid i wont be messing around the way the current holidays on offer want you to. This really does need looking at as im sure there are many people who feel this way. I find the whole situation very disappointing as the just you holidays i have been on have been excellent but if they are unable to offer more flights from areas outside London then my next holiday may be my last with just you.:@

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

I'm sorry you don't feel we have enough flights from the north. We do try our best to offer as many as possible but the departure times don't always fit in with our holiday timings. If you have a copy of the current brochure (2nd edition Jan 2012), I'd recommend having a look at p118, which lists all the holidays with direct flights available from all of our UK airports. There may be a few you have missed.

Another possibility is for you to 'make your own way'. On some holidays you can make your own flight arrangements and save on the cost of your holiday so please give us a call if you are interested in doing this.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

RogertheRed
(Member)
I agree with you. At one time you could go on the US trips direct from Manchester. Not only does going through Heathrow add to the cost {especially if an overnight stay is required) the extra travelling time can spoil the holiday.
bondensbabe
(Member)
'Olly' wrote:

Hello

I'm sorry you don't feel we have enough flights from the north. We do try our best to offer as many as possible but the departure times don't always fit in with our holiday timings. If you have a copy of the current brochure (2nd edition Jan 2012), I'd recommend having a look at p118, which lists all the holidays with direct flights available from all of our UK airports. There may be a few you have missed.

Another possibility is for you to 'make your own way'. On some holidays you can make your own flight arrangements and save on the cost of your holiday so please give us a call if you are interested in doing this.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

I would like to say Olly that I do agree with Saints 96. I only live just north of Nottingham, but both last year and this the holiday I have chosen have (and are in a couple weeks) departed from Gatwick. The only other airport last year I had a choice of was Stanstead. Besides the cost of actual travel to the airport, as I do not drive I have had to book in a b and b overnight as well as both flights were early morning ones. It pushes the price up considerably.

I estimated last year that this cost me close to £100 extra, this year it will be less as I have been clever (I hope) and diverted myself via London on National Express taking advantage of the funfares, but it still adds considerably to the cost of the holiday.

Just You have a great choice of holidays, but it is frustrating that I only have a flight of a couple of hours but have to spend 5 plus hours on a coach down to Gatwick and then overnight, and 5 plus hours on the way back. I could understand having to use Heathrow or Gatwick if I was on a long haul, but not for European flights. It would be great to see even Birmingham being used as an option.

My sympathies to Saints 96 as he/she has a lot longer journey than I do.

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Coming from Yorkshire I must agree, we need more northern flights, I have 2 hols booked one from Gatwick and one from Heathrow.

I would stay overnight for a morning flight whatever the airport but the extra cost (and time) of travel given the current petrol prices is my main concern.

LovelyLesley1
(Member)
Hi,

I have to admit the lack of flights from the Midlands has been a problem for me too. Birmingham and East Midlands are within easy distance from where I live but we have so few direct flights from these and no connecting flights at all.

I went to Peru last month and the flight was from Birmingham via Amsterdam which was so much easier and I have flown to Moscow via Frankfurt with Just You a couple of years ago.

When I questioned the lack of flights from Birmingham, for my Route 66 trip in September, I was told it was possible to make my own flight arrangements to get there - but as I pointed out, that would mean it was Just Me and not Just You.

It was also explained to me that regional flights would make the holiday more expensive but having to travel to one of the London airports, then overnight stays (and parking) this works out about the same. If I am going long-haul I may stay at the hotel the night before the flight and the night the flight returns so I do not have to drive back to the Midlands when I am tired.

One of the reasons I have travelled with Just You is that they do all the planning for me - I just have to turn up and enjoy myself - but it does seem to be getting more difficult with the lack of flights from local airports so I realise we are all having the same problems.

Best wishes,

Lesley :angel:

dianejan
(Member)
I totally agree more people would book holidays with your company if you used Northern airports.Also travelling alone and making my own way to London airports I would not want to do.Going on holiday should be an easy way to travel and not stressful before you get there.

Going to Prague,Vienna and Budapest in June which thankfully is from Manchester.

Best wishes

Di x

patricebry
(Member)
Hi,

I agree with you all about the lack of flights from the North. they're getting fewer and fewer and it costly having to get to Heathrow (it's costing me £189 exra with flight and taxi to Manchester, and then all the hassle of changing terminals and reclaiming luggage etc. I'll be exhausted before I get on the main flight. Consequently I have cancelled my holiday in China and changed it for a more relaxing one.

Pat

saints96
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Ive looked at maybe 5 or 6 holidays for around september/october time now and they all involve either flying out the day before to london or just a straight flight from Gatwick/Stansted with no Manchester/Liverpool option available and all these were for european holidays E,G croatia was one i was looking at.

Like Bondensbabe has said already these options push up the cost of a holiday (for me living in the north west around £150) to a point where it just isnt a viable option to book a holiday as the cost is just far to much. Holidays arent cheap anyway but when you add the cost of having to get to the airport then having to fly to london then pay for a hotel overnight and then do the same coming home it really isnt worth doing.

The whole situation needs looking into and im sure it isnt beyond just you/travelsphere to get more flights from up north, it just feels like at the moment we are being punished for not living in london. Seriously if just you wants to keep its northern customers coming back year after year then i would reccommend looking at the whole flights situation or even the holidays on offer and try to accomodate for northern people more as the current situation is very poor indeed.

maggie-b
(Member)
Hear hear to all these comments. I try to look at the extra travel and overnight stays as part of my holiday but through gritted teeth. I flew to Madeira from Leeds Bradford last year. Half an hour from home and 2 and half hours flying time. It makes such a difference.

I will not do any holiday that departs from Gatwick now because you have to be prepared to spend a day(and sometimes night) getting there from the north of England. I am flying from Liverpool to Sorrento this year which involves a train from Leeds and an overnight stay. (The flight is an early morning one) but it takes just over an hour to get there so should be more relaxing. Fingers crossed!

liz745
  • (Member)
(Member)
Totally agree I've a 4 hour wait round Gatwick before a connecting flight up north. It's not just the extra cost but the lost time too. Please look at this again as there are lots of us up here ready to travel if you started holidays from the north.
JR
  • (Member)
(Member)
[uote='saints96' pid='170642' dateline='1333890279']

Hi

Ive been looking for a holiday around september time but ive become very frustrated with the lack of holidays with flights available from Northern england, the holidays that do have flights from around here involve you flying out the day before and flying down to london then catching your flight out to your chosen destination the next day, its then the same for coming home so you get home the next day due to having to stop over in London. Im starting to wonder if travel companies even know that we do infact have airports up north and that London isnt the only place to fly from. Its getting to a point now where i may be forced to go elsewhere for my future holidays as Just you/travelsphere dont seem capeable to cater for anyone north of watford. This is a shame as ive seen a few holidays i like the look of but im afraid i wont be messing around the way the current holidays on offer want you to. This really does need looking at as im sure there are many people who feel this way. I find the whole situation very disappointing as the just you holidays i have been on have been excellent but if they are unable to offer more flights from areas outside London then my next holiday may be my last with just you.:@

Much as I sympathise with you, I put the opposite point of view ! As I live near gatwick, I wouldn't take a holiday that flew from anywhere else ! Sorry.

sontab
  • (Member)
(Member)
It is a great pity that more holidays don't go from up north. As already stated, it adds to one's journey and the cost when having to go down south.

Perhaps if one didn't have to change terminals it would be a little better but not much.

Sonia

janicek
(Member)
I have to fly from Belfast, not a big problem to be honest.

Janice

LovelyLesley1
(Member)
Hi,

I flew to Sorrento in September & Prague at Xmas from Stansted because it is a little nearer to the Midlands but still had to stay night before the flight. I really don't seem to have many other options at the moment. I do find it strange though because Just You is based in the Midlands.

Best wishes,

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I totally sympathise with all who have this problem I have been on many tours and am amazed at how far people have had to travelled just to get to the take off airport, Devon, Jersey and many miles inbetween.

I live on London Heathrow Airports doorstep, but quite a few for me take off from London Gatwick but even that's close enough..

So I am very lucky with both of these being so close by.

Cindy

LovelyLesley1
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

I totally sympathise with all who have this problem I have been on many tours and am amazed at how far people have had to travelled just to get to the take off airport, Devon, Jersey and many miles inbetween.

I live on London Heathrow Airports doorstep, but quite a few for me take off from London Gatwick but even that's close enough..

So I am very lucky with both of these being so close by.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Yes - you are so lucky to have such a choice. Sadly I fear the airport problem does deter a lot of people, particularly those who are considering going with Just You for the first time.

It is not just the added cost but also the distance you have to travel before you meet up with the rest of your group and this can add to the stress if it is your first trip.

I know how they feel as I experienced it on my first Just You trip, although this was a coach trip, but the feeling of isolation etc. can cause anxiety for some people.

As you know I have the added problem of no connecting flights either. My trip to Peru was so much easier because I flew from Birmingham via Amsterdam. So much so that when I landed I went straight to a speedway meeting at Coventry!

I am glad you enjoyed your holiday earlier in the year. Spare a thought for those of us who live further afield than London as I just don't know what the answer is but there does seem to be less choice now.

Be happy,

Best wishes,

dianejan
(Member)
Hi

Well put Lesley. I would like to go on a singles holiday to Ireland but again travel is from Heathrow with Just You. There is over 400 people who have logged into (lack of flights up North) surely we could fill a plane. Take note Just You.

Kind regards

Di

Ps Any feedback on Prague,Vienna & Budapest trip before I go x

saints96
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'JR' wrote:

[uote='saints96' pid='170642' dateline='1333890279']

Hi

Much as I sympathise with you, I put the opposite point of view ! As I live near gatwick, I wouldn't take a holiday that flew from anywhere else ! Sorry.

And thats exactly my point, if people from down south wont travel north for flights why are people from up north made to travel down south for flights. Im not saying stop using gatwick/stansted im saying use airports like liverpool/manchester/leeds-bradford more, give us more flights from up north is what im asking for.

It just seems strange that to have all these airports in england the two main ones used are both in or near london which doesnt encourage people from up the top end of england and indeed scotland to take up holidays with just you, and as already mentioned earlier it does put potential new customers off if they have to get extra connecting flights alone just to catch the main flight out to start the holiday. Im glad im not the only one who thinks this as its been a bit of a niggle of mine now for a while.

JustAndy103
(Member)
Hi All

I must be really lucky, As I Live up North ( Scotland ) Just You is fantastic for me. As I Can often get flights to/from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Or I can easily get a connecting flight to one of the London Airports. It is a shame. My English counter parts have not got the same luxury. lol

Happy Travelling

Andy