Dido
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly

I have a digital SLR plus a compact digital and was wondering if is it safe to take my digital SLR to China ? Do the hotels have safes ? If this is carried in a small camera bag can this be classed as personal baggage like a handbag on the flights thus allowing me to also take a small rucksack/bag as carry on luggage ?

Thanks

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Di

Your paperwork says:

"You are allowed to take one piece of luggage per person inside the aircraft cabin, weighing no more than 5kgs. The maximum dimensions of your hand baggage must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including the handles, pockets and wheels. Your bag must fit into the bag gauge, available at the check-in area."

So I would say you will need to fit your cameras into your luggage.

As for safes, most of the hotels we use have them but, if not, you should be able to leave valuables with reception. But I expect you will want to keep your cameras with you most of the time anyway.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

skippy
  • (Member)
(Member)
When I went on the China trip, all rooms had their own safe and the hotel also had reception safes.

To be honest, I walked around on my own at night with my camera and did not think at any time it was at risk of theft

Dido
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Great thanks for this both. I wasn't sure if I'd stand out with it round my neck... a colleague went to Shanghai and said he'd not seen anyone with an SLR.