BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly, I've noticed quite a few posts on this subject recently, including one from myself. Can you ask the powers that be if they can arrange for their tour managers to have credit card facilities, so that optional excursions can be paid that way? Or else that they can all be pre-booked with JY before the holiday? Many of these excursions cost up to £100 each, with some such as helicopter flights etc costing a lot more than this. It is a worry and major inconvenience for us to either have to bring very large amounts of cash with us on holiday, to pay for these excursions or else to try and find an ATM machine - in some parts of the world, they can be difficult to locate and even dangerous to use, to be seen taking a lot of cash from an ATM machine. I think this is a serious issue that should be addressed.

Many thanks,

Bob

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

We are aware that this is an issue for some customers and we are trying to make as many optional excursions pre-bookable as possible.

Providing chip-and-pin type facilities to all tour managers would be very difficult because of the cost of buying and maintaining so many machines. Another problem is connecting to the networks from some parts of the world - it would be a problem if the machines weren't able to process payments and everyone was relying on using credit cards.

Cash is the simplest solution for now but I agree with you that pre-bookable is best, and you should be able to book more tours in this way in future.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
That's very helpful Olly and I do appreciate the problems that would be involved in issuing machines - the old fashioned handwritten credit card slips would be very handy for this purpose! Hopefully most if not all excursions will be pre-bookable before long - especially the expensive ones!

Cheers,

Bob

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
That's very helpful Olly and I do appreciate the problems that would be involved in issuing machines - the old fashioned handwritten credit card slips would be very handy for this purpose! Hopefully most if not all excursions will be pre-bookable before long - especially the expensive ones!

Cheers,

Bob

mikethesaint
(Member)
'Olly' wrote:

Hi Bob

We are aware that this is an issue for some customers and we are trying to make as many optional excursions pre-bookable as possible.

Providing chip-and-pin type facilities to all tour managers would be very difficult because of the cost of buying and maintaining so many machines. Another problem is connecting to the networks from some parts of the world - it would be a problem if the machines weren't able to process payments and everyone was relying on using credit cards.

Cash is the simplest solution for now but I agree with you that pre-bookable is best, and you should be able to book more tours in this way in future.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Olly,

On a similar subject I have query regarding the amount of cash you can actually take into a country.

I am due on the same holiday as Bob, South Africa Explorer with the Victoria Falls add on next month.

I know the limit for South African rand is 5000 but I also understand I need dollars to pay for visas into Zambia and if I do an optional tour into Botswana.

However reading online I get the impression that the total cash limit into South Africa is the equivalent of 5000 rand so if I take dollars as well does this reduce the number of rand I can take?

I'm beginning to find this whole money thing about cash limits, credit cards and atm's rather confusing.

The last thing I want to worry about whilst I'm trying to enjoy my holiday is where/when am I going to get some more cash and I can quite understand Bob's point of view especially with the requirement of paying for optional exercursions in cash, which as he says can be costly.

I know I am due more information from JY two weeks before I go which I assume will answer my concerns but it would be very useful to have something before then so I can plan the necessary arrangements with my bank. It would also help me rather than finding conflicting information from the web.

Many thanks

Mike

Harley37a
(Member)
Bob,

I totally agree with your comments. I am due to go on the 'America's Golden West' on 19th September. It would have been better to pay for optional excursions beforehand instead of having to carry large amounts of money only to pay for these excursions on arrival at the other end.

Lets hope the powers at be can arrange this for future holidays.

Edna

:)

DavidH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Are the optonal excursions payable in UK pounfds or local currency?

DavidH

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David

It depends which tour you are on. Usually it will be the local currency but in some cases you can pay in sterling.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike

You can only take 5,000 rand in cash with you but you may take an unlimited amount of foreign cash (including sterling or dollars) - provided you declare this on arrival.

http://www.southafrica.info/travel/advice/redtape.htm#money  for more information).

I do understand your point about card payments. We are are looking to make more excursions pre-bookable to make payment easier.

As for your holiday information, I know we are re-posting general information about South African Explorer as some customers didn't receive it, so hopefully you will receive this soon. Let me know if it isn't with you in the next week or so.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly and Mike,

I received the info update today for the SA Explorer and the blurb at the top extols the virtues of being able to pre-book and pay "most" excursions by ringing JY. Underneath it lists all the optional excursions for this trip, probably at least 15 in total and not one of them can be pre-booked!! Grrr.....I'm now having to bring a huge wad of rand (as my bank gave me the 5000 rand in 100 rand notes, plus around 800 US dollars to pay for the Zambian excursions, just in case we can't get to an ATM around Vic Falls, or my card doesn't work there! I don't want to be stuck.....

mikethesaint
(Member)
'Olly' wrote:

Hi Mike

You can only take 5,000 rand in cash with you but you may take an unlimited amount of foreign cash (including sterling or dollars) - provided you declare this on arrival.

http://www.southafrica.info/travel/advice/redtape.htm#money  for more information).

I do understand your point about card payments. We are are looking to make more excursions pre-bookable to make payment easier.

As for your holiday information, I know we are re-posting general information about South African Explorer as some customers didn't receive it, so hopefully you will receive this soon. Let me know if it isn't with you in the next week or so.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

Thanks Olly for clarifying the situation with the cash limits and for the internet link.

I have now received the letter and information about the optional excursions although of the full 16 listed everyone one of them can only be booked through the Tour Guide in resort.

Mike

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

I'm sure you would be able to find cashpoints while you are away but taking cash in high denomination notes is probably the best way to be sure.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Trish 2
(Member)
Hi Olly,

I know there has been a lot of postings about payment of excursions etc and the need to pay for these in the local currency. I too am going on the same trip as Mike and bob with the Victoria Falls add on. I am just getting a little confused. As i understand it the excursions in South Africa should be paid for in Rand, but can you please clarify if the optional excursions in Zambia are paid for in US$ or Kwacha and does this have to be cash or would $ travellers cheques be accepted? I believe the maximum ZMK that can be taken into Zambia is ZMK100.

Also can you advise about the visa required for Zambia. Is this arranged at the airport by JY or do i need to do anything before i leave? Once again, can this be paid for in travellers cheques or should it be in cash and how much is it?

Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first holiday on my own and i'm beginning to panic a bit 😞

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Trish

Don't worry, most people are nervous before their first trip. I'm sure you'll be fine once you meet your group.

To answer your questions, payment for optional excursions for the Zambia add-on should be in cash, in US dollars or sterling.

Your Zambian visa will be issued on arrival. There are no forms to complete but you will need to pay US$50 per person in cash. This fee is for a single entry visa. Anyone leaving Zambia and then entering the country again on the same day will need to pay US$80 in cash. So if, for example, you take an optional excursion to Botswana, you’ll have to pay US$10 to enter Botswana and obtain a double entry visa at US$80. Payment must be made in US$ cash and no small denomination notes are accepted.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

mikethesaint
(Member)
'Trish wrote:

Hi Olly,

I know there has been a lot of postings about payment of excursions etc and the need to pay for these in the local currency. I too am going on the same trip as Mike and bob with the Victoria Falls add on. I am just getting a little confused. As i understand it the excursions in South Africa should be paid for in Rand, but can you please clarify if the optional excursions in Zambia are paid for in US$ or Kwacha and does this have to be cash or would $ travellers cheques be accepted? I believe the maximum ZMK that can be taken into Zambia is ZMK100.

Also can you advise about the visa required for Zambia. Is this arranged at the airport by JY or do i need to do anything before i leave? Once again, can this be paid for in travellers cheques or should it be in cash and how much is it?

Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first holiday on my own and i'm beginning to panic a bit :(

Hi Trish,

Only 4 weeks to go now. I'm getting quite excited even though I have never travelled on my own before.

I too have found the money issue quite confusing however I have decided to take the maximum amount of rand in cash (5000) for general spending money and excursions in South Africa and enough US dollars to cover the visas and excursions for Zambia.

If I need anymore then it appears we will have to use ATMs to draw more cash which I assume can be in whatever currency we will need. I will also take a credit card as backup for any other personal expenditure ie extra meals, shopping etc.

Apparently there will be plenty of opportunities to use ATMs so hopefully it won't be a problem. Bear in mind we will all be in the same situation so I'm sure we will be able to sort it between us. Perhaps we can appoint a 'banker' within the group!!!!

Look forward to meeting you soon.

Mike

Trish 2
(Member)
'mikethesaint' wrote:

'Trish wrote:

Hi Olly,

Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first holiday on my own and i'm beginning to panic a bit :(

Hi Trish,

Only 4 weeks to go now. I'm getting quite excited even though I have never travelled on my own before.

I too have found the money issue quite confusing however I have decided to take the maximum amount of rand in cash (5000) for general spending money and excursions in South Africa and enough US dollars to cover the visas and excursions for Zambia.

If I need anymore then it appears we will have to use ATMs to draw more cash which I assume can be in whatever currency we will need. I will also take a credit card as backup for any other personal expenditure ie extra meals, shopping etc.

Apparently there will be plenty of opportunities to use ATMs so hopefully it won't be a problem. Bear in mind we will all be in the same situation so I'm sure we will be able to sort it between us. Perhaps we can appoint a 'banker' within the group!!!!

Look forward to meeting you soon.

Mike

lol Mike, a role which I will politely decline otherwise it would be like a busman's holiday for me, as I work for a Bank!!!

I think i'm getting excited but I hate flying and guess i just want to be there - wh is it so stressful to go on holiday?

4 weeks today 🙂 - l too look forward to meeting everyone

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mike, Trish (and Debbie if you're reading this!),

Looking forward to meeting you all in the executive lounge for a drink before we fly! Think I've more or less got everything sorted now for the hol, fingers crossed all goes smoothly! Can't wait.....

Cheers,

Bob

DebbieLS
(Member)
Hi All,

I am really excited too but a little apprehensive! Watched Kruger national park walks on tv yesterday and had my brother calling saying "I hope you have a plan for charging rhinos!". I had to remind him we would not be foot loose in the park!!!

Am sure we will all be fine with the money fiasco. The groups I have been on have all been really supportive.

I will be celebrating my 50th with you all mid air (22nd) which is rather comical as I won't know when it begins due to time changes. A little bit of avoidance here, but hey a great way to spend the day on Table Mt with great travelling companions.

Looking forward to meeting you all and feel as if I know some of you a little bit already.

Debbie

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi to all you lucky people going out to Africa. I booked and paid all the excursions before I went to Lake Garda and it was great not having to worry about all the extras. The only extra was a trip on the gondola in Venice which I loved. Jan.
BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Debbie, we can celebrate in style when we get to our hotel after the visit to Table Mountain, can't wait!!