scaredycat67
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I'm booked on the National Parks, Canyons, Big Horn trip on 28th April - not long to go now (although have still not received any details about the trip?)

I was just wondering how best to take spending money. How do we pay for the optional trips? Do many places accept these new cash cards, that you can load with cash before you go? And will a normal debit card work in the ATM machines in USA? I was just thinking of taking a small amount of cash, and then just my debit and credit card.

Any advice gratefully received!!

Thanks

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

A mixture of cash and cards is the best option, I would say. Just make sure you let your bank know about your travel plans before you go.

I haven't used the new cash cards myself but a lot of other travellers seem to think they work pretty well. You'll find some comments about them if you use the community search facility.

As for the excursions, some can be booked in advance and some can only be booked in resort. I don't have any info on this year's programme yet but I've copied in last year's prices. You will receive up to date details in good time before you travel.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Our optional highlight programme has been carefully selected to enhance your tour experience whilst still allowing free time to relax

Please note that the Optional Highlights are listed in no particular order.

USA - Grand Canyon - Helicopter flight

30 exciting minutes in the air over the awe-inspiring Grand Canyon. Words cannot adequately describe this incredible trip.

Approx. 30 minutes - Minimal Walking - Outrageously good value

This Optional Highlight is only available to book through your Tour Manager in resort ( approx 169.00 USD)

USA - Jackson - Balloon Flight in Jackson Hole

The ultimate hot air balloon flight in the early morning against the majestic backdrop of the

Grand Teton mountain range. Approximately one hour in the air amongst some stunning scenery.

Early Morning - Moderate Walking - An unforgettable adventure

This Optional Highlight is only available to book through your Tour Manager in resort ( approx 295.00 USD)

USA - Jackson - Barbeque Supper

Ride out to the campsite by horse-drawn covered wagon and through an Indian ambush – just like in the movies! Then enjoy a cowboy-style cookout, surrounded by the Teton mountains, whilst being entertained by a live country and western band. (operates mid-May to late September)

Evening - Minimal Walking - Experience the Cowboy Life

This Optional Highlight is only available to book through your Tour Manager in resort ( approx 45.00 USD)

USA - Monument Valley - Flight over the Valley

Fly over Monument Valley, Lake Powell, the Rainbow Bridge and part of the Grand Canyon on this breathtakingly beautiful flight.

Approx. 1¾ hours - Minimal Walking - The flight of a lifetime

This Optional Highlight is only available to book through your Tour Manager in resort ( approx 349.00 USD)

USA - Prebookable Great Salt Lake, Park City and Salt Lake City Tour

Visit the shore of the Great Salt Lake, second saltiest body of water on the planet, and learn about its unique environment. Then move on to historic Park City, and old silver mining town, now a resort city, which still looks very much as it did in the 1800’s. Finally, tour the highlights of Salt Lake City itself.

Extended half day - Moderate Walking - Excellent Value

(£24.00)

USA - Prebookable Lake Powell Scenic Cruise

A very relaxing way to spend an afternoon, looking at the surreal landscape of Lake Powell from the water and getting up close to some of the multi-coloured rock formations in what was once the Glen Canyon before the damming of the Colorado River at the town of Page.

1½hours on the lake - Moderate Walking - Scenic & Relaxing

(£32.00)

USA - Prebookable Las Vegas by Night

A must-see! Prepare to be absolutely dazzled by the city whose lights beat them all! Get into the mood of this unashamedly brash neon city as we “Cruise” the world-famous ‘Strip’ and downtown area. Soak up the razzle-dazzle from your comfortable air-conditioned coach as we show you the lights and stop for some fascinating sights along the way, all with fascinating facts about this glamorous modern oasis in the desert.

Evening – Moderate Walking – Must see scenic tour!

(£24.00)

USA - Prebookable Monument Valley 4 Wheel Drive Tour

The only way to see Monument Valley is on an authorized guided tour in a four wheel drive

vehicle. We use the services of the Navajo Tribe of Native Americans, who will teach you about their heritage and culture, as well as show you the incredible scenery in Monument Valley itself.

2½ hours - Moderate Walking - A very special journey

(£31.00)

Unless specified above all Optional Highlights are available to pre-book in the UK (no later than 5 days prior to departure), on the following number: 01858 581 024

Please note that Optional Highlights may be available to book in resort through your Tour Manager, however, availability may be limited and prices may vary from those displayed above.

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
I've travelled to the US quite lot and would agree with Olly a mixture of cards and cash is a good idea. They are very card orientated Americans use their credit cards all the time.

I do like to take cash though and tend to use it in bars & cafes and of course for tipping (In America tips are expected for everything).

Mick