suej
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have just discovered via "Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert.com" email that after 12 January '09 everyone travelling to the USA must apply for a Visa Waiver ONLINE. These are no longer going to be completed on planes as before and anyone who does not apply for one at least 2 days before they travel will be turned away at USA Immigration. These can only be applied for on line on the ESTA's website (this is free).

I am sure that you are aware and you would have informed your travellers of this but just in case you weren't aware, I thought I would let you know this piece of news.

Suej

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sue

You're absolutely right that the rules have changed, but don't worry - we have been aware of this for some time and are informing our US customers in good time before their departure dates.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov ) at least 72 hours before departure. Make a note of your approval number in case you need to make any changes.

I for one will welcome the new system, as I never seem to have a pen handy when the cabin crew give out the landing cards!

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the community.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

JustAndy103
(Member)
It looks like the USA will nevr be getting my business.

They clearly don't want visitors, and are doing everything possible to make life difficult.

Andy

Daniel
  • (Member)
(Member)
OLLY,

the new on line entry for the USA (ESTA) has been tested over the last few months. On my Deep South tours arrival in Atlanta has previously taken from plane touching down to all being on coach departing airport a gruelling two hours. Last November on a test run I had a group who were ready in 45 minutes!! My driver was so shocked she was still eating her lunch!! It should make the whole arrival process easier. My mother herself worries as she is not computer literate but did go to a friend who assisted her. As she has been to the USA several times hates the arrivals process and vowed never to go via Miami, where she felt badly treated before, again. She feels that anything to speed this up is of benefit.

As well as this US immigration has launched a CPR (Courtesy, Professionalism and Respect) initiative for their staff to attend as they are aware of how people feel about the arrivals procedure. Its a minor crux to bear for a visit to such a land of wonderful contrasts.......Give it a go!!

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Andy

I'm sorry you feel that the US is making things harder for you. I can understand your irritation but I do think the new process will be an improvement in many ways.

The ESTA form you fill in online is valid for two years, so you will no longer have to fill in the old I-94W form each time you visit. This will also get rid of the mountains of paperwork associated with the old system.

The ESTA system will also help make improve security, as it will give the US authorities several days to run checks on passengers rather than having to make snap decisions at passport control.

A similar system has been used by Australia for several years and been a success.

I do hope you won't be deterred from visiting this amazing country.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Daniel

I'm sure many readers will find your words reassuring. (For those who don't know, Daniel is one of our tour managers.)

Regards,

Olly, your editor

linjay
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I'm booked on the Australia tour on Nov 2nd and am puzzled about how JY gets my visa. I know my holiday price includes £15 for the visa but when I've phoned JY asking for advice,I've been told 3 different answers including 1 person telling me I didn't need a visa! I appreciate November is a long way off but would like to know what I need to do and when in order to get the visa.

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Linjay

If you are a British passport holder you definitely do need a visa. I'm sorry if anyone told you otherwise.

Australia now requires an 'ETA' (electronic travel authority). These have replaced the old written forms and are the equivalent of a written visa.

Just You can arrange an ETA for you, for the same charge as if you applied yourself (£12). When you receive your holiday confirmation and invoice you should also receive an application form, which you can complete and send back to us. Payment can be made by cheque, debit or credit card.

Let me know if you have any more difficulties in this matter.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

Mausie
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Olly,

I rang your offices over the weekend also regarding the USA Visa requirements now and was told that a form will be sent out to me before I leave for the Florida/Bahamas Cruise in November. Is this correct or will I have to apply online as everyone else seems to have to do.

Regards.

Maureen

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Maureen

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov .

What you were told when you called Just You was also true, as further information on how to do this will be sent out with your final travel documents.

It's nothing to worry about, though - and as our tour manager Daniel points out (see below), it does speed up the passport control stage on arrival in the US.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor