SarahL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I am considering booking the Heart of Alpine Europe tour. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much walking is involved and is it on rough terrain? I’ve read previous reviews and walking boots have been mentioned, I normally wear Skechers Go Walk or similar on tours?

I’m also a bit of a nervous traveller and wondered if the coach journeys involve cliff edges? My heart was in my mouth in Tuscany when the coach went up a steep winding road :s . I’m not a big fan of boats either and can see that there are a couple of boat trips. I don’t mind as long as it is not too small and the water is calm. Perhaps a couple of stupid queries seeing as it is in the Heart of Austria. 

The scenery looks stunning though and I have been looking at this tour for years. I’ve not visited any of the countries listed on this tour so would love to tick them off my bucket list.

Any advice much appreciated 

Sarah

turnke
(Member)
I am going on the 4th September departure, and I have done the boat trip from Lindau to Bergenz before, in the opposite direction. The boat was a large ferry type with plenty of space to move around on.

Keith

SarahL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'turnke' wrote:

I am going on the 4th September departure, and I have done the boat trip from Lindau to Bergenz before, in the opposite direction. The boat was a large ferry type with plenty of space to move around on.

Keith

Hi Keith

Thanks for your response, that type of boat sounds fine.

I am looking at 4th September departure as the only leave I have left the week. I telephoned Just You at the weekend as it is the only date in 19/20 for this tour that doesn’t have a regional departure. I was told no flights on that day but when I looked there is, I’ll call again tomorrow, may see you on the trip, if I decide on Heathrow.

turnke
(Member)
Hi Sarah 

Most of the tours I have done with JustYou were to the USA,it’s easy to opt out if you think a walk or boat trip isn’t for you, I am not the greatest of walkers, and I have had a great time on the tours.

The last one was the Western Wonders in May/June.

Keith

jan106
(Member)
Hi Sarah, I went on this tour last year and the scenery is very beautiful. As far as I can remember 

, there are no scary coach journeys and the boat trip was relaxing on a calm lake. Not to much walking and Skechers will be fine.  Jan

SarahL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jan106' wrote:

Hi Sarah, I went on this tour last year and the scenery is very beautiful. As far as I can remember 

, there are no scary coach journeys and the boat trip was relaxing on a calm lake. Not to much walking and Skechers will be fine.  Jan

Hi Jan

Thank you. I have just booked, not going to let my anxiety disorder get the better of me. All the tours I have been on so far have been unforgettable so I can’t miss out on the scenery of this tour.

wesspan
(Member)
Hi SarahL,

I hope you enjoy this tour - I went last October and the scenery is breathtaking (and so green)!

I have similar concerns over transport, and always make sure to take a travel sickness tablets before setting off and carry a travel pillow for the coach.

There are some winding roads which overlook ravines (as well as passing lush mountains) - you might feel more comfortable sitting in the aisle seat. I did so for the St. Moritz/ Chur excursion as it's a long drive: had an obstructed view of the scenery but it was a good opportunity for a short nap! The coach journeys are about 60 -90 mins.

The boat trip on Lake Constance is about 35 mins from Lindau to Bregenz: we went on a sunny day so it was steady but there was still a breeze. It's a small ferry/ catamaran with table seating - I moved to a forward-facing seat near the middle.

Skechers are fine: the excursions are often to towns and there are benches and cafes to stop and rest if you've had enough of walking around.

Have a great holiday, and don't forget to take a camera!

SarahL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'wesspan' wrote:

Hi SarahL,

I hope you enjoy this tour - I went last October and the scenery is breathtaking (and so green)!

I have similar concerns over transport, and always make sure to take a travel sickness tablets before setting off and carry a travel pillow for the coach.

There are some winding roads which overlook ravines (as well as passing lush mountains) - you might feel more comfortable sitting in the aisle seat.  I did so for the St. Moritz/ Chur excursion as it's a long drive: had an obstructed view of the scenery but it was a good opportunity for a short nap!  The coach journeys are about 60 -90 mins.

The boat trip on Lake Constance is about 35 mins from Lindau to Bregenz: we went on a sunny day so it was steady but there was still a breeze.  It's a small ferry/ catamaran with table seating - I moved to a forward-facing seat near the middle.

Skechers are fine: the excursions are often to towns and there are benches and cafes to stop and rest if you've had enough of walking around.

Have a great holiday, and don't forget to take a camera!

Hi wesspan. 

The tour sounds wonderful and I cannot wait. It’s always good to hear reviews of holidays and advice. 

Thank you