IanWight
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Saying hello to any forum users booked on this trip.

Ian

Craig99
(Member)
Im booked to go to kenya on the 19 Feb 2019 with the add on, so back 3 march,

this is my first hoilday,

im just trying to work it all out,

im used to going to places like beach hoildays, so this is a lot different, im working out what to take, what clothes, walking boots, if i should take back pack or suitcase, as there is lots of travailing, sorting out parking at hotel, so im learning, but im looking forward to going, im not sure who else is going,

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Craig,

https://forum.justyou.co.uk/thread-85810.html?highlight=kenya 

From what I gather:-

1. We will be travelling in safari jeeps & for ease of loading then suitcases (especially hard ones) are not advised so I will be using a hold-all,

2. Casual clothing is the order of the day. I tend to use Rohan (other makes are available) travel clothing which is very easy to launder overnight - I have not investigated laundry facilities on this trip.

3. I don't think that walking boots will be needed but I shall take something akin to trainers as terrain will probably not be suitable for "casual" type footwear.

4. There will be early starts - primarily as this is when the wildlife is around before it gets too hot.

5. Not looked at parking as I am on the Isle of Wight so am looking at National Express as flight timings are such that I can (weather permitting) travel up/back on flight days.

6. I was on a recent trip with someone who had done this trip who said it is excellent - although there are no guarantees on what wildlife we will get to see.

Vickie: Do you have the usual numbers for the main trip & the add on with M/F and age breakdowns. Also do we have a TM yet?

Ian

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Ian,

Sure, there are 10 people booked on the main tour, 3 men and 7 women. Their ages range from early 20s to mid 70s. There are 3 people doing the add-on so far, 2 men and 1 woman.

Your Tour Manager will be Damian Stent.

Thanks,

Vickie

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Ian,

Sure, there are 10 people booked on the main tour, 3 men and 7 women. Their ages range from early 20s to mid 70s. There are 3 people doing the add-on so far, 2 men and 1 woman.

Your Tour Manager will be Damian Stent.

Thanks,

Vickie

Thank you Vickie, Ian.

sallyc
(Member)
Hi Ian, Damien was my TM when I did this trip a couple of years ago. He is excellent and you will definitely love this trip.

Sally

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'sallyc' wrote:

Hi Ian, Damien was my TM when I did this trip a couple of years ago. He is excellent and you will definitely love this trip.

Sally

Hi Sally, I've not come across Damian before so that's good to hear - also having done this trip before he will know his way around.

There are good reviews and I was with someone last year who had done this trip previously and said how much they enjoyed it.

Last week I was saying the trip was next year, now all of a sudden it is next month!  Can't wait.

Ian.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I did a Kenyan Safari with JY a few years ago, I only had trainers, walking boots were not needed when I went. Casual comfy clothes are a must, also a fleece as the morning or late safaris could be rather chilly, a small backpack is very handy for when you are on the jeeps for stuffing your things away, make sure you have plenty of memory cards and batteries or battery charger as you will be taking loads of photos, hand gel, packets of tissues and wet wipes come in very handy along the way. Dont wear really bright clothes as they attract all the insects/fly’s etc. I did get bitten really bad by mosquitoes, even with sprays etc, so it might be worth taking some antihistamine.

Have a great time

Cindy

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

I did a Kenyan Safari with JY a few years ago, I only had trainers, walking boots were not needed when I went. Casual comfy clothes are a must, also a fleece as the morning or late safaris could be rather chilly, a small backpack is very handy for when you are on the jeeps for stuffing your things away, make sure you have plenty of memory cards and batteries or battery charger as you will be taking loads of photos, hand gel, packets of tissues and wet wipes come in very handy along the way. Dont wear really bright clothes as they attract all the insects/fly’s etc. I did get bitten really bad by mosquitoes, even with sprays etc, so it might be worth taking some antihistamine.

Have a great time

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Thank you - all hints & tips gratefully received.

Ian

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ian and Craig

You both have booked a fantastic trip - this is one I would definitely like to do again some day. I am sure you will not be disappointed with what you see as far as wildlife is concerned. You do not need walking boots. I was in my walking sandals all the time apart from the flights there and back when I wore shoes. I did not use any laundry facilities so not sure what was available. We also did not have an option of the add on - I would have done the add on if it was on offer. Have a great time.

Regards

Jaya

Craig99
(Member)
Hi, Do you think I need to buy some Kenyan shilling before I go Kenya, shall I buy online, or from airport, i was hoping not too, Ive got a Post office Master card, which i normally use when i go to places like tenerriffe or cape verde, and i normally pay on the card, as it Euros and Dolla's and GBP, so i dont really know what i be spending money on in kenya, can i just pay for things on my card, I think there is ATM at hotels or the places we are staying, this is my first hoilday to afica, so im a bit clue less,
IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Ian and Craig

You both have booked a fantastic trip - this is one I would definitely like to do again some day.  I am sure you will not be disappointed with what you see as far as wildlife is concerned.  You do not need walking boots.  I was in my walking sandals all the time apart from the flights there and back when I wore shoes.  I did not use any laundry facilities so not sure what was available.  We also did not have an option of the add on - I would have done the add on if it was on offer.  Have a great time.

Regards

Jaya

Hi Jaya,

Thank you for your input. It looks to be a really good trip. I did not bother with the add on as I live by the coast (although not the weather for the beach at the moment) & I have other trips booked in 2019 so spreading the cash out a bit.

Best wishes, Ian

IanWight
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Craig99' wrote:

Hi, Do you think I need to buy some Kenyan shilling before I go Kenya, shall I buy online, or from airport, i was hoping not too, Ive got a Post office Master card, which i normally use when i go to places like tenerriffe or cape verde, and i normally pay on the card, as it Euros and Dolla's and GBP, so i dont really know what i be spending money on in kenya, can i just pay for things on my card, I think there is ATM at hotels or the places we are staying, this is my first hoilday to afica, so im a bit clue less,

Hi Craig,

https://forum.justyou.co.uk/thread-86837.html?highlight=kenya 

I was with Paula on a trip last year and I was told the amount was plenty - it is just for drinks & souvenirs really.

There are some posts referring to ATM's in hotels but they are quite old & may not now refer to the places we are staying at so I would not rely on them!

Personally I shall take cash but have cards just in case....

As to buying currency then I have not found airport exchanges all that competitive but it sort of depends where you live as to the local options you have available. I am ia bit "in the country" so will probably order from the bank or Post Office and with only £2/300 involved then any differences in exchange rates are not going to be too excessive.

Ian

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Craig

When I went to Kenya I ordered the currency on line. I can't remember if anybody on the trip bought the currency in Kenya.

Regards

Jaya

Craig99
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

is it still the same people, 

there are 10 people booked on the main tour, 3 men and 7 women. Their ages range from early 20s to mid 70s. There are 3 people doing the add-on so far, 2 men and 1 woman.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Craig,

Yes, it's still the same number of people at the moment 🙂

Thanks,

Vickie

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
It’s a few years since I went on Safari with JY but I know I did take local currency with me. So I would say to be on the safe side get some before you go. This wasn’t a holiday where I spent much money on things to bring home.

I think the tour has changed a bit since I went.

Cindy

Craig99
(Member)
the Lounge Pass Confused me a little, as the Name boxes, was not my name, said JY SLKENS/M

so i thought they had the wrong name

but i found out this is the holiday code and does not have my name on the pass,

so hopefully i be OK at the airport,

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Craig

You will be fine - usually lounge passes do not have individual names. The lounge is booked in Just You's name. Enjoy your trip.

Jaya

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ian

Hope you have a great trip.  Let us know if you find a Hard Rock Café :D

Regards

Chris