Lisyloo16
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have booked this holiday going on the 2nd June 2019 - anybody else booked or thinking of going?
RogerT
(Member)
Hi Lisyloo16,

I am almost a shoe in for this trip. Looks sensational !

I keep reading the details and have researched all the places/hotels/excursions/weather etc.., so I guess I’m hooked ! The June trip certainly appeals the most.

The option with the Rocky Mountaineer is very tempting despite the price hike. A once in a lifetime trip so it would be rude not to ..?

Off to South Africa in 4 weeks on my first JY trip and will probably book soon after my return. Just need to avoid those pesky lions and mosquitoes !!

Roger

Lisyloo16
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RogerT' wrote:

Hi Lisyloo16,

I am almost a shoe in for this trip. Looks sensational !

I keep reading the details and have researched all the places/hotels/excursions/weather etc.., so I guess I’m hooked ! The June trip certainly appeals the most.

The option with the Rocky Mountaineer is very tempting despite the price hike. A once in a lifetime trip so it would be rude not to ..?

Off to South Africa in 4 weeks on my first JY trip and will probably book soon after my return. Just need to avoid those pesky lions and mosquitoes !!

Roger

Hi Roger

Let me know if you decide to book this - decided not to do the Rocky Mountaineer as I will be staying an extra week in Vancouver after the trip and funds will be a bit tight.

Are you doing the Experience South Africa tour?  If so, you will have an amazing time, this was my first trip with Just You. I would do the Zambia add on if possible, as this was the best part of the trip for me, although the mosquitos took a liking to me, ended up covered in bites and a trip to the local clinic, while nobody else in the group got bitten - so take plenty of mosquito spray.

Lisa

RogerT
(Member)
Hi Lisa,

I am indeed doing the Experience SA tour, but not the add on ..

The more I read about it the more I’m regretting not signing up for it !

However, my expectation is that a few days in Kruger will whet my appetite for a ‘full on’ safari holiday and a Botswana/Chobe/VF combination might well be the way to go.

Well stocked on mozzie spray .. thanks to over stocking for a fortnight in magnificent Costa Rica in Feb.

I shall endeavour to use it more liberally this time given your experience ! Thanks for the head up ..

Good choice on extra time in Vancouver. Looks like lots to do there.

Roger

Lisyloo16
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RogerT' wrote:

Hi Lisa,

I am indeed doing the Experience SA tour, but not the add on ..

The more I read about it the more I’m regretting not signing up for it !

However, my expectation is that a few days in Kruger will whet my appetite for a ‘full on’ safari holiday and a Botswana/Chobe/VF combination might well be the way to go.

Well stocked on mozzie spray .. thanks to over stocking for a fortnight in magnificent Costa Rica in Feb.

I shall endeavour to use it more liberally this time given your experience ! Thanks for the head up ..

Good choice on extra time in Vancouver. Looks like lots to do there.

Roger

Hi Roger

Hope you had an amazing time in South Africa?

I'm actually flying to Vancouver Island for a week after the tour to see family. Let me know if you decide to book.

Lisa

RogerT
(Member)
Hi Lisa,

Just to confirm I have just booked the June 2 Canada E-W Tour. I’ve signed up for the all encompassing trip including Rocky Mountaineer and Cruise add on ! I might as well emigrate !

June can’t come quickly enough.

South Africa was brilliant. 2 fantastic weeks, thanks. I’ve posted a monster review on the forum.

Looking forward to meeting up at Heathrow in 232 days time (not that I’m counting ..)

Roger

Lisyloo16
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Roger

That's great, was getting worried as I am the only person to have booked so far. 

Glad you enjoyed South Africa, your review brought back some great memories for me.

Look forward to meeting you at Heathrow.

Lisa

Harry7
(Member)
I did the Canada East to West tour in June this year and loved every moment although it was with parent company, Travelshere. Thankfully one other solo traveller and I think will will be freinds for life so well did we connected. The tour was brilliant without the Mountaineer as 2 day run down to Vancouver had several excellent stop experiences plus tour guide was awesome. I am doing the Experience SA in March 2019 with Just You and really looking forward to it and comments about mozzies very helpful as in Spain, where I have just returned from after 6 weeks in Benidorm, I got bitten to hell all over my lower legs, a first for me.
RogerT
(Member)
Hi Harry,

Great to hear your Canada trip was so good. The non Rocky Mountaineer option does look good too, but I thought this would likely be my only chance for a RM ride so have raided the piggy bank !

Interesting to hear you went with Travelsphere. On the South Africa trip all dinners were included, so everyone mixed in and it proved a great success and was one of the big pluses of the tour. How did you find this on the Canada trip given that practically no dinners are included ? Did groups form and tend to go out in the evening ?

I’ve had a look through the Travelsphere brochure and spotted a great looking trip, which like Canada E-W, combines two tours Kenya & Tanzania. I’m hoping JY might offer that in 2020 (they currently just offer the Kenya part) as I would prefer to do a ‘singles’ version where everyone mixed in. How about it Mr., Mrs., Ms Moderator ?

If you’ve got a spare half hour (it is rather long !) , I posted a review of the SA October trip. I was expecting a mozzie frenzy as I’m usually high up on their menu, but came back with zero bites. I did use spray for the Kruger trips, but not otherwise. It’s a different time of year obviously, but hopefully you’ll be lucky too.

Your Spain experience reminded me of a Portuguese trip I did in the 90s. I was a spectator at the Portugal Open golf and walked the course or should I say the rough ! Becoming aware that evening of itchy legs below the knee I discovered over 160 bites on each leg !! Put me right off my lobster !

Have a great time in South Africa. It’s almost guaranteed !

Roger

Harry7
(Member)
'RogerT' wrote:

Hi Harry,

Great to hear your Canada trip was so good. The non Rocky Mountaineer option does look good too, but I thought this would likely be my only chance for a RM ride so have raided the piggy bank !

Interesting to hear you went with Travelsphere. On the South Africa trip all dinners were included, so everyone mixed in and it proved a great success and was one of the big pluses of the tour. How did you find this on the Canada trip given that practically no dinners are included ? Did groups form and tend to go out in the evening ?

I’ve had a look through the Travelsphere brochure and spotted a great looking trip, which like Canada E-W, combines two tours Kenya & Tanzania. I’m hoping JY might offer that in 2020 (they currently just offer the Kenya part) as I would prefer to do a ‘singles’ version where everyone mixed in. How about it Mr., Mrs., Ms Moderator ?

If you’ve got a spare half hour (it is rather long !) , I posted a review of the SA October trip. I was expecting a mozzie frenzy as I’m usually high up on their menu, but came back with zero bites. I did use spray for the Kruger trips, but not otherwise. It’s a different time of year obviously, but hopefully you’ll be lucky too.

Your Spain experience reminded me of a Portuguese trip I did in the 90s. I was a spectator at the Portugal Open golf and walked the course or should I say the rough ! Becoming aware that evening of itchy legs below the knee I discovered over 160 bites on each leg !! Put me right off my lobster !

Have a great time in South Africa. It’s almost guaranteed !

Roger

Hi Roger, yeah meals are never included over there as restaraunts tend not to be part of hotel deals so most breakfasts taken at local fast food such as MacDonalds but a group of about 8 of us went together most nights to various places and great fun. Called ourselves the great 8! I started your review of SA the other day but as OH has Alzheimer’s I got side tracked but love the way you write and will return to it, thank you.