Rooti
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi. I am doing the Amazing Australia trip on 9th October. Has anyone got any useful tips from previous trips? I would like some idea please how much currency to take and how much to budget for (not taking the optional trips into consideration)

Also, can anyone particularly recommend or not recommend any of the optional excursions? Is it best to book before or wait until I get there I wonder?

Any tips too about the weather in October in the different areas we visit and what to take?

This is the first long haul holiday I have taken and am a bit worried about jet lag - any tips how to minimise jet lag!

Alot to ask I know but would really appreciate any answers as I am new to all this! :s

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Rooti

I did the Amazing Australia Extended Itinerary trip in January/February this year and if you look in the reviews section, you will find my review which will give you some ideas on what to expect. Bear in mind that our itinerary was an extended one. Australia is an amazing country and you will love it. I personally try and do all the excursions as I know that I may never get a chance to go back. As for currency and how much to budget depends on what your preferences are. I spent around £1250 personally and on top of this gave a generous tip to the TM as she was very very good. I paid upfront for the excursions that you could and I was also lucky to get 3 excursions worth £229 free because of the special offer - i.e. if you booked the trip before Christmas 2016. My spending would have been higher if I had to pay for these 3 excursions as well. I always take a credit card and used it to pay for the Sydney Bridge Climb and the helicopter flight in Sydney. I am not sure about the weather in October but who can tell with the weather nowadays. On the whole we had nice weather though it was hot and humid in Alice Springs and Uluru. January / February are usually hot summer months. I only missed one excursion in Melbourne as this was the only time I could see a friend. Not sure about what to say re Jet Lag as I was lucky not to suffer from it, which was a miracle. We flew to Perth via Dubai and had to change to an Emirates flight but on the return we flew direct from Melbourne to LHR with a stop in Dubai for refuelling. You do have to leave the plane in Dubai though you retain the same seat throughout. Quantas now fly directly to Perth from LHR and it is a very good Airline - so much better than BA! Read my review and let me know if you have any further questions. You will love Australia.

Best wishes

Jaya

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Rooti

I did this amazing tour in November 2013, you will have a wonderful time, firstly the weather as I went a month after you we were just into Spring and the weather was fine throughout, not much rain at all and not too hot, perhaps in the dessert when you get to Alice Springs and later in Sydney and Melbourne but it was all manageable and not over hot, Cairns was a little humid but take your raincoat anyway, Jetlag wasn't too bad going but you will feel a little strange that first night but after that you'll adapt, we flew via Singapore but you may be going via Dubai, I didn't do any stopover, Aus is not cheap so you may need to budget quite high maybe around 600 to 800 £ but then again it all depends if your purchasing cuddly Koala bears and Kangaroos like I did

Perth - Freemantle and swan river cruise is a must - I didn't do the other excursions offered there as I was meeting friends but its nice along the water front area very close to hotel if its still the Travelodge - the TL not like ours and have huge rooms

Alice Springs - I did the western Mcdonnell Ranges as an extra was very good and the bush bbq was ok nothing special but glad I did it as you get to try your hand at boomerang throwing and get to see your first wild kangaroos, on the other night in AS a group of us walked into town for a meal, well worth the venture about a 15 - 20 min walk dined at Bojangles bar then took a taxi back

Ayers Rock - the sounds of the silence dinner was a memorable experience under the stars and seeing the rock at sunset and sunrise

Cairns - The Great Barrier Reef was very memorable, went out on a catamaran, you get the choice of staying on green island or continuing onto the outer reef if your a snorkeler, there is plenty to do on GI and of course you have lunch and a chance to snorkel there if you wish, didn't do Daintree as wanted a day of rest to look round Cairns, loved the Rattle n Hum bar but did the Kuranda railway which is a MUST, you can only book this out there but all the trips you could pay on arrival if that's what you prefer see who's doing what, you'll get the opportunity from your TM as you go

Sydney - the harbour cruise another must do as in the Blue Mountains which is another fab trip includes visit to Fetherdale wildlife park on the way, very enjoyable, you'll take lots of pictures everywhere so take plenty of memory cards or one 16 or 32 gb card, depends if you do any videoing - lots to see around Sydney and lovely parks - take a walk back to your hotel after cruise or do the harbour bridge climb, a few of us also took the ferry over to Manly beach one day was very nice saw loads of surfers

Melbourne was different again - take a walk along the yarra river see the MCG and the Tennis stadiums - also took to the eureka sky deck for fantastic views all over Melbourne -, I also took in a football match and watched some cricket at the MCG in one afternoon - take a tram ride or just go shopping - didn't do the optionals here as wanted time to chill and just wander round Melbourne, the final night Tramcar dinner was truly wonderful

you will find the flies are a pest but as your a month in front of us you may not encounter any but the only fly free places we visited were Cairns and Sydney but our TM got us some fly nets from the market in freemantle

so clothing I would cater for tshirts light cotton trousers light pullovers or fleeces for evening and early morning or for when on coach and a light raincoat as you may need it somewhere along the line, your not in summer by far but even spring days are much warmer than ours so enjoy and if there is anything else you'd like to know don't hesitate to ask and have a wonderful time

Regards

Dave

Dyuti
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Rooti' wrote:

Hi. I am doing the Amazing Australia trip on 9th October. Has anyone got any useful tips from previous trips? I would like some idea please how much currency to take and how much to budget for (not taking the optional trips into consideration)

Also, can anyone particularly recommend or not recommend any of the optional excursions? Is it best to book before or wait until I get there I wonder?

Any tips too about the weather in October in the different areas we visit and what to take?

This is the first long haul holiday I have taken and am a bit worried about jet lag - any tips how to minimise jet lag!

Alot to ask I know but would really appreciate any answers as I am new to all this! :s

I went on this tour in 2015, it was really an amazing tour. Sunrise over Ayers Rock is a must see sight. You will need to be up early for this, but you will not regret it. Make sure you take a camera and phone charged fully with enough storage. 

Have a great tour.

Dyuti

andydurrant
(Member)
With regards currency, Australia is an expensive country so allow a fair degree more than you would take if you were holidaying in the UK or Europe.

I don't know if it's included or not as I haven't looked at it, but the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb (providing you have a head for heights!) is a must!

Rooti
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hello Rooti

I did the Amazing Australia Extended Itinerary trip in January/February this year and if you look in the reviews section, you will find my review which will give you some ideas on what to expect.  Bear in mind that our itinerary was an extended one.  Australia is an amazing country and you will love it.  I personally try and do all the excursions as I know that I may never get a chance to go back.  As for currency and how much to budget depends on what your preferences are.  I spent around £1250 personally and on top of this gave a generous tip to the TM as she was very very good.  I paid upfront for the excursions that you could and I was also lucky to get 3 excursions worth £229 free because of the special offer - i.e. if you booked the trip before Christmas 2016.  My spending would have been higher if I had to pay for these 3 excursions as well.  I always take a credit card and used it to pay for the Sydney Bridge Climb and the helicopter flight in Sydney.  I am not sure about the weather in October but who can tell with the weather nowadays.  On the whole we had nice weather though it was hot and humid in Alice Springs and Uluru.  January / February are usually hot summer months.  I only missed one excursion in Melbourne as this was the only time I could see a friend.  Not sure about what to say re Jet Lag as I was lucky not to suffer from it, which was a miracle.  We flew to Perth via Dubai and had to change to an Emirates flight but on the return we flew direct from Melbourne to LHR with a stop in Dubai for refuelling.  You do have to leave the plane in Dubai though you retain the same seat throughout.  Quantas now fly directly to Perth from LHR and it is a very good Airline - so much better than BA!  Read my review and let me know if you have any further questions.  You will love Australia.

Best wishes

Jaya

Thanks so much Jaya. I will definitely read your review. Rooti

Rooti
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AbbaDave' wrote:

Hi Rooti

I did this amazing tour in November 2013,  you will have a wonderful time, firstly the weather as I went a month after you we were just into Spring and the weather was fine throughout, not much rain at all and not too hot, perhaps in the dessert when you get to Alice Springs and later in Sydney and Melbourne but it was all manageable and not over hot, Cairns was a little humid but take your raincoat anyway, Jetlag wasn't too bad going but you will feel a little strange that first night but after that you'll adapt,  we flew via Singapore but you may be going via Dubai, I didn't do any stopover, Aus is not cheap so you may need to budget quite high maybe around 600 to 800 £ but then again it all depends if your purchasing cuddly Koala bears and Kangaroos like I did

Perth - Freemantle and swan river cruise is a must - I didn't do the other excursions offered there as I was meeting friends but its nice along the water front area very close to hotel if its still the Travelodge - the TL not like ours and have huge rooms

Alice Springs - I did the western Mcdonnell Ranges as an extra was very good and the bush bbq was ok nothing special but glad I did it as you get to try your hand at boomerang throwing and get to see your first wild kangaroos, on the other night in AS a group of us walked into town for a meal, well worth the venture about a 15 - 20 min walk dined at Bojangles bar then took a taxi back

Ayers Rock - the sounds of the silence dinner was a memorable experience under the stars and seeing the rock at sunset and sunrise

Cairns - The Great Barrier Reef was very memorable,  went out on a catamaran,  you get the choice of staying on green island or continuing onto the outer reef if your a snorkeler, there is plenty to do on GI and of course you have lunch and a chance to snorkel there if you wish,  didn't do Daintree as wanted a day of rest to look round Cairns, loved the Rattle n Hum bar but did the Kuranda railway which is a MUST, you can only book this out there but all the trips you could pay on arrival if that's what you prefer see who's doing what,  you'll get the opportunity from your TM as you go

Sydney - the harbour cruise another must do as in the Blue Mountains which is another fab trip includes visit to Fetherdale wildlife park on the way, very enjoyable,  you'll take lots of pictures everywhere so take plenty of memory cards or one 16 or 32 gb card,  depends if you do any videoing - lots to see around Sydney and lovely parks - take a walk back to your hotel after cruise or do the harbour bridge climb, a few of us also took the ferry over to Manly beach one day was very nice saw loads of surfers

Melbourne was different again - take a walk along the yarra river see the MCG and the Tennis stadiums - also took to the eureka sky deck for fantastic views all over Melbourne -, I also took in a football match and watched some cricket at the MCG in one afternoon - take a tram ride or just go shopping - didn't do the optionals here as wanted time to chill and just wander round Melbourne, the final night Tramcar dinner was truly wonderful

you will find the flies are a pest but as your a month in front of us you may not encounter any but the only fly free places we visited were Cairns and Sydney but our TM got us some fly nets from the market in freemantle

so clothing I would cater for tshirts light cotton trousers light pullovers or fleeces for evening and early morning or for when on coach and a light raincoat as you may need it somewhere along the line,  your not in summer by far but even spring days are much warmer than ours so enjoy and if there is anything else you'd like to know don't hesitate to ask and have a wonderful time

Regards

Dave

Thank-you very much Dave. That was very helpful indeed. Rooti

Rooti
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Dyuti' wrote:

'Rooti' wrote:

I went on this tour in 2015, it was really an amazing tour. Sunrise over Ayers Rock is a must see sight. You will need to be up early for this, but you will not regret it. Make sure you take a camera and phone charged fully with enough storage. 

Have a great tour.

Dyuti

Thanks Dyuti. Rooti

Rooti
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'andydurrant' wrote:

With regards currency, Australia is an expensive country so allow a fair degree more than you would take if you were holidaying in the UK or Europe.

I don't know if it's included or not as I haven't looked at it, but the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb (providing you have a head for heights!) is a must!

Thanks Andy. Rooti

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rooti

When I did this trip early this year, for the Outer Barrier Reef trip we did not get a chance to get off on the Green Island though quite a few people did. We stayed on a pontoon all the time. You could snorkel, which I think was free and all equipment was provided or there was a choice of 'scubadoo' or helicopter flight. I do not have much head for heights, but did the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb and enjoyed the experience. Australia truly is an amazing country.

Regards

Jaya

TheWickedWenxh
(Member)
'Rooti' wrote:

Hi Rooti , there are a few of us in a group on Facebook who chat ask questions etc , if you fancy looking in the group is called just you Australia October 2018 ???