rrrose
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'll be going on the Pompeii, Sorrento & Bay of Naples tour in September; not sure whether I can do the Vesuvius excursion - as it's described as 'moderate to strenuous walking'.  Does anyone know how much 'strenuous' walking it involves i.e. how long is it?
PennyA
(Member)
'rrrose' wrote:

I'll be going on the Pompeii, Sorrento & Bay of Naples tour in September; not sure whether I can do the Vesuvius excursion - as it's described as 'moderate to strenuous walking'.  Does anyone know how much 'strenuous' walking it involves i.e. how long is it?

Good question Rose. Im booked on the September 12th trip and was wondering the same thing.

Penny x

Chris84
(Member)
Hello

I haven't been on this particular trip, but I have been up Mount Vesuvius before.

Vehicles can only go so far up the volcano, if you want to reach the summit then you will have to walk the rest of the way yourself. As you can imagine the terrain is uneven, and there is a risk of sliding down on your bum on the way back down - just don't go in your sandals..You can hire walking sticks to aid you if you want.

You would need the best part of an hour to walk up, see the crater, make your down again and check out the lone gift shop. You won't find anywhere proper to stop, sit and wait except in the mini bus.

The view and the crater is worth walking up there for me personally. But I don't think it would be worthwhile going if your not interested in walking up to the summit as there isn't really any thing else to do there. You would be better relaxing for the day and then treating yourself to something nice in Capri.

Chris

PennyA
(Member)
'PennyA' wrote:

'rrrose' wrote:

Good question Rose. Im booked on the September 12th trip and was wondering the same thing.

Penny x

I have looked on Trip Advisor.

From the coach drop off its at least a 40 minute up hill walk on shale - poles recommended.

Im going to give that excursion a miss. It would wreck my knees for the rest of the trip. I will be more than happy mooching around the town and exploring.

Penny

Toronto17
(Member)
Vesuvius will be enjoyed from the comfort of the hotel patio.  However, I have signed up for everything else and look forward to Herculanium.
CarolJ
(Member)
'rrrose' wrote:

Hi Rose

I have just returned from this tour and it was fabulous. Our tour Manager Michelle was excellent and I booked all the optional excursions. I too was a bit nervous about the climb to the top of Vesuvius but it was not as difficult as I imagined. We were allowed 2 hours to walk up to the crater and back down again. This was ample time even for the slowest in the party. You can go up at your own pace taking plenty of stops to rest if needed. One of the ladies in our party had COPD and managed to get to the crater albeit taking a lot longer to get up there. We all took advantage of the walking sticks on offer at a charge of just one euro. The view from the top is amazing and our guide was excellent. In my opinion it is well worth the effort and was  one of the highlights of the holiday. Some of ours group were in their 70s  and made it to the top ok.

Alyson
(Member)
'rrrose' wrote:

Hi Rose,

When in September are you going on this trip? I'm going on the 26th.

Kind regards

Alyson x