AlisonD
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi I'm considering the National Parks and Grand Canon tour in October.  Has anyone been at this time who can advise? I'm afraid of missing out on Yellowstone etc due to snow.
turnke
(Member)
'AlisonD' wrote:

Hi I'm considering the National Parks and Grand Canon tour in October.  Has anyone been at this time who can advise? I'm afraid of missing out on Yellowstone etc due to snow.

Hi Alison

I went mid October 2011, it was cold first thing in the morning at Rapid City,warming up later. The weather was alright during the day even warm and sunny some days. Going from Billings to Cody, we could see dark clouds over Yellowstone, it snowed overnight, but it was sunny and comfortable in the park. Fortunately, we stayed overnight in West Yellowstone, as the south entrance was impassable that night. The next day started with very low cloud,but, it soon warmed up and there was no problem going to Jackson. From then on it was warm during the day and cool at night.

When I contacted the Wyoming tourist office in the U.K., they sent plenty of information, but, they thought I might be affected by snow a lot more than I was. Snow is always a possibility at that time of the year.

I enjoyed the trip very much, but, you do travel long distances most days 

Keith

Mick W
(Member)
Did it a few years back and the snow followed a few days after us resulting in them closing until spring. Fortunately we had done that part of the trip.

Believe the snow can come anytime from early October to mid November.

It is a cracking holiday.

lizzielowe
(Member)
'turnke' wrote:

'AlisonD' wrote:

Hi Alison

I went mid October 2011, it was cold first thing in the morning at Rapid City,warming up later. The weather was alright during the day even warm and sunny some days. Going from Billings to Cody, we could see dark clouds over Yellowstone, it snowed overnight, but it was sunny and comfortable in the park. Fortunately, we stayed overnight in West Yellowstone, as the south entrance was impassable that night. The next day started with very low cloud,but, it soon warmed up and there was no problem going to Jackson. From then on it was warm during the day and cool at night.

When I contacted the Wyoming tourist office in the U.K., they sent plenty of information, but, they thought I might be affected by snow a lot more than I was. Snow is always a possibility at that time of the year.

I enjoyed the trip very much, but, you do travel long distances most days 

Keith

Hi.   We got snow in June, up in Yellowstone Park this year.   It can happen anytime, so don't worry too much about it.   The tour is great - best I've ever done - and I've done quite a few!

Lizzie