jklouser
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi! My name is Jessica and I am brand new to JY! I just booked a spot on the Italian South Tyrol & Croatia for Christmas and New Year, Departing on December 23.

Since I am new to JY, I thought it may be a good idea to reach out to contact other members who are on this trip? To try and get to know some people before I go!

For the veterans, has anyone taken this specific trip before? Any advice? I know the avg temps should be in the 40-50 F degree range. Any thing that stands out from your trip that would be helpful to a newbie? Thanks! 😉

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jessica,

I don't know if I qualify for being a "veteran" (!), but I did this trip the Christmas before last. With regards to the weather, we definitely needed waterproofs for Croatia, and I also took snow boots and a warm coat for Italy. You just need to keep checking the weather right up until you go. I am doing the Lake Garda and Austrian Tyrol this Christmas, and will definitely be taking the above! I'm sure if you go into the "Search" section on here, you will find more.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

jklouser
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Hils!

Yes, I have been watching the weather. Seems a bit mild for this time of year, but I will be bringing my boots just in case!

Hi Jessica,

I don't know if I qualify for being a "veteran" (!), but I did this trip the Christmas before last. With regards to the weather, we definitely needed waterproofs for Croatia, and I also took snow boots and a warm coat for Italy. You just need to keep checking the weather right up until you go. I am doing the Lake Garda and Austrian Tyrol this Christmas, and will definitely be taking the above! I'm sure if you go into the "Search" section on here, you will find more.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

jklouser
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Hils,

Thank you for your response. A few questions for you since this will be my first JY trip:

1. May I upgrade at the hotel once I check in (and of course pay for it on my own)? If I want a room with a view, a shower instead of a tub, etc. Or should I call the hotel directly or ask my JY coordinators to help me?

2. Where do you normally meet the other JY travelers? Is there a designated check in spot at the Gatwick airport before you board the flight to Venice for this trip?

3. What type of currency is expected for tips? The country's specific currency (Euros in Italy and Croatia the Kuna) or will Euros work across the board?

4. The travel insurance that is a condition of the booking--is this for health insurance? If I have health insurance that will cover me in my international travel, do I still need to purchase this?

Thank you!

Jessica

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'jklouser' wrote:

Hi Hils,

Thank you for your response. A few questions for you since this will be my first JY trip:

1. May I upgrade at the hotel once I check in (and of course pay for it on my own)? If I want a room with a view, a shower instead of a tub, etc. Or should I call the hotel directly or ask my JY coordinators to help me?

2. Where do you normally meet the other JY travelers? Is there a designated check in spot at the Gatwick airport before you board the flight to Venice for this trip?

3. What type of currency is expected for tips? The country's specific currency (Euros in Italy and Croatia the Kuna) or will Euros work across the board?

4. The travel insurance that is a condition of the booking--is this for health insurance? If I have health insurance that will cover me in my international travel, do I still need to purchase this?

Thank you!

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I will try and answer your questions!

1. Regarding upgrading your room and a shower rather than a bath - I suggest you contact JY direct on the phone in the UK.

2. Make sure you have your JY labels on both your main luggage and hand luggage - other travellers will find you! There should be a JY rep near the check-in desk to help you through. There isn't a designated spot to meet, but you will obviously see others in the group when you get to the departure gate.

3. Euros mainly for tips, although I always give the UK Tour Manager sterling, but I think we did give Kuna for the Local Guide, Bus Driver etc.

4. You definitely need to purchase travel insurance - this is vital!! If you just want to buy a Single Trip insurance (because I normally travel a lot, I buy an Annual policy which covers all my trips), you can get it from the Post Office, or online. I think that it is a condition of JY that you have to have travel insurance or they will not take you!

I too have noticed that the weather seems to be milder in Italy and Croatia, although I will still be taking my snow boots for Italy and Austria.

I hope you have a great time, and meet some really nice people.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

(Member)
Hi Jessica and Hils,

That's a great response Hils - thank you.

In regards to your 4th question Jessica, it is a condition of booking with us that you are adequately insured when travelling abroad as we reserve the right to decline any booking where adequate insurance has not been arranged. We offer a fully comprehensive insurance and for us to accept your insurance this has to cover and is at least as comprehensive as the policy that we offer. Feel free to give us a call to discuss this any further.

Kindest regards,

Monty