NLJ161179
(Member)
Hi Karen, I am brand new to this and really keen to book this tour late 2016. It so reassuring to see all the great feedback. I will be 37 when I go and I just wondered what the average age of the group was when you went? Thanks Nicki
DPM
  • (Member)
(Member)
'jennsimco' wrote:

I want to go on Alcatraz & hoped you wouldn't mind recommending which company you used & which tour you went on?

Thanks

Jennie:)

Hi Jennie

I hate to say this but you might already have left it too late. The Alcatraz cruises routinely sell out a couple of weeks in advance.

I've just looked at the website I used, www.alacatrazcruises.com and they no longer have any tickets for sale for any time of day on 7th September.

If you really want to go, then don't hang about, get googling and see if there's an alternate supplier who still has tickets left. Otherwise your only hope might be to turn up early on the day and see if there are any new slots arising due to cancellations.

Dave

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jenny, if you are too late to book Alcatraz all is not lost! I did the Golden West tour in 2011 and did the SF Bay cruise. Although we did not actually visit Alcatraz we sailed near to it and the commentary told us lots about the prison, so although it wouldn't be quite the same as visiting it you could still learn a lot about it that way. Hope you manage to get tickets though!

Hi Nicki, the age range of JY tours varies from tour to tour - I was 40 when I did the Golden West and I was certainly one of the youngest. The age range in general is 20s - 80s, with most being 55-75. Sometimes I'm the youngest on a tour, most times I'm not; having said that, as others will quickly tell you, everyone mixes well together on a JY tour so once you make an effort to talk to others you will be just fine!

All the best,

Bob

jennsimco
(Member)
Thanks for the info Bob, thats great..I'm hoping ill still manage to get on around the organised sightseeing tour of SF
NLJ161179
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Jenny, if you are too late to book Alcatraz all is not lost! I did the Golden West tour in 2011 and did the SF Bay cruise. Although we did not actually visit Alcatraz we sailed near to it and the commentary told us lots about the prison, so although it wouldn't be quite the same as visiting it you could still learn a lot about it that way. Hope you manage to get tickets though!

Hi Nicki, the age range of JY tours varies from tour to tour - I was 40 when I did the Golden West and I was certainly one of the youngest. The age range in general is 20s - 80s, with most being 55-75. Sometimes I'm the youngest on a tour, most times I'm not; having said that, as others will quickly tell you, everyone mixes well together on a JY tour so once you make an effort to talk to others you will be just fine!

All the best,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for the reply. It's good to know. I can't wait to book my first just holiday. Thanks again, Nicki

smudger1
(Member)
'sallyk' wrote:

:thumbup: Hi everyone, I have booked my first ever JY trip for November this year, to go to Yosemite, Grand Canyon and California. Sooooo excited especially as I love San Francisco. Has anyone else booked for this trip yet?

Hi Sally

Im considering this trip in november. Where are you flying from? Im in leicester so cant decide on london or manchester.

JanetD
(Member)
'sallyk' wrote:

:thumbup: Hi everyone, I have booked my first ever JY trip for November this year, to go to Yosemite, Grand Canyon and California. Sooooo excited especially as I love San Francisco. Has anyone else booked for this trip yet?

Hi Sally

Have also booked for the Nov. trip and looking forward to it. Have only done one holiday before and that was to Italy and excellent. I live in North Yorkshire and flying from Manchester. Is anyone else flying from Manchester? Let me know.

JanetD

SarahS
(Member)
I would definitely recommend the SF bay cruise as an alternative to the Alcatraz one.

Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge is not to be missed as is the view back across the bay. Several companies operate these cruises from the Fisherman's Wharf area. When I did the cruise we sailed close to the Alcatraz , and we got a good view of the island. If you are in the Fisherman's Wharf area at meal times, there is a fabulous fish restaurant overlooking the Bay. It's expensive, but the views are worth it. Alternatively, try clam chowder served in a crusty bread roll from one of the stalls on the wharf. Whatever ou do, have a great time.

sallyk
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'smudger1' wrote:

'sallyk' wrote:

Hi Sally

Im considering this trip in november. Where are you flying from? Im in leicester so cant decide on london or manchester.

Hi, I will be flying from heathrow, probably staying there the night before. 🙂

sallyk
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'JanetD' wrote:

'sallyk' wrote:

Hi Sally

Have also booked for the Nov. trip and looking forward to it. Have only done one holiday before and that was to Italy and excellent. I live in North Yorkshire and flying from Manchester. Is anyone else flying from Manchester? Let me know.

JanetD

Hi Janet, I'm flying from London so see you there!