1981Kedi
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi fellow travellers!

Just posting to see if there are any more 10 November Polar Explorers on here?

Hope you are all more organised than me ……….

Getting over excited is no excuse for not having a parka or boots!

:rolleyes:

1981Kedi
(Member) (Topic Starter)
The final documents arrived Saturday - better start the countdown!
sallyc
(Member)
Have a look at polarbearalley.com and sign up to their facebook page and you will get daily updates and photos of bears up there at the moment. It looks like the season has started early so fingers crossed they stay around for us to arrive.

I think I've got all my Arctic clothing now, just need to sort out some dollars and I'm done. Just 20 days to go now - is it wrong that I'm also excited to be seeing the new Heathrow Terminal 2........!

1981Kedi
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This time next week!!!!!!!

Think we have all commented on Gill's great review of the 20 October trip. I know there are photos as one of the JY agents mentioned them when we were talking about another holiday - where are they?????

Found this link to a live web cam site from Churchill - have seen a lot of tundra, some bears and snow!

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/polar-bear-lodge-cam 

Sally - thanks for your earlier offer re supper on Sunday. I am catching up with a friend from a previous JY trip before heading to my hotel, so looking forward to meeting up with you on Monday morning.

Anyone else out there on "our" trip, or indeed the 9 November departure?

Julie White
(Member)
Thanks for the link 1981Kedi

I am getting excited not long now. See you Monday.

Regards Julie

1981Kedi
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julie

Looking forward to meeting you in person on Monday - just a few things to get now and then the task of cramming all those layers into my suitcase!

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Have a look at polarbearalley.com and sign up to their facebook page and you will get daily updates and photos of bears up there at the moment. It looks like the season has started early so fingers crossed they stay around for us to arrive.

I think I've got all my Arctic clothing now, just need to sort out some dollars and I'm done. Just 20 days to go now - is it wrong that I'm also excited to be seeing the new Heathrow Terminal 2........!

Hi Sally,

This is Mike from the JY tours of South Africa and Hawaii.

I've just returned from JY's China trip via LHR Terminal 2 and you're not wrong to be excited about it. Terminal 2 contains some of the most up-market shops and restaurants I've ever seen at an airport, and the Plaza Premium lounge is VERY nice indeed.

So nice, in fact, that you may not want to leave! Only joking; have a great time with the Polar Bears.

Cheers

Mike

sallyc
(Member)
Taffy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi all

I am also on this tour, can't wait to see the polar bears but a bit worried about how cold it'll be!!!

1981 Kedi I am also staying in the Premier Inn on Sunday so if you want to meet up in the morning to go to Heathrow let me know. I'm planning to use the Hotel Hoppa .

See you all soon

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Taffy' wrote:

Hi all

I am also on this tour, can't wait to see the polar bears but a bit worried about how cold it'll be!!!

1981 Kedi I am also staying in the Premier Inn on Sunday so if you want to meet up in the morning to go to Heathrow let me know. I'm planning to use the Hotel Hoppa .

See you all soon

Hi Taffy,

I am staying in the Premier Inn Terminal 5 - 420 Bath Road. There are 2 Premier Inns - I know 1981 Kedi is staying in the other one! If you are staying in the Terminal 5 one I am going to book a taxi to Terminal 2 in the morning - I'm certainly not going to lug all my stuff on the Hoppa!

Put a post on here if you want to share a taxi.If not, see you on Monday. It is very very cold in Churchill at the moment!!

Cheers,

Hils

1981Kedi
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Taffy' wrote:

Hi all

See you all soon

Hi Taffy - good to hear from another traveller. May bump into you at the hotel. Not sure what time I will be heading for the Terminal yet. It was blowing a blizzard in Churchill yesterday - we had the first frost of the season here this morning - thought about getting out early for some cold practice and then thought again!

Taffy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Hils

Thanks for the offer but I am staying in the other Premier Inn.

See you on Monday

1981Kedi
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just a quick "Hello" from Winnipeg at 5.10 am in the morning (11.10 am your time - I think!) - yesterday was a long day! We arrived to falling snow in Winnipeg last night. Despite a very comfy bed in the hotel here I seem to have woken far too early! However it will shortly be time to sort out some "layers" to wear, grab some breakfast and then off on our local tour before flying to Churchill this afternoon. 🙂
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kedi

Have fun. Look forward to hearing all about this wonderful trip on your return. Hope you see plenty of bears.

Jaya

1981Kedi
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Well - we are back in Winnipeg having had a wonderful time in Churchill. I have to say that the small 40 seater plane (which had propellers!! - and even flight attendants who handed out boiled sweets!) gave the smoothest ride in both directions, thank you Calm Air. It was extremely cold in Churchill - we also had snow, sunshine and a bitter wind at times. I know that a couple of people are going to be posting reviews on our Polar Bear adventure, so all I will say is "yes we did", and also a red fox and an arctic fox and Northern Lights! The dog sled ride was great fun too. A lovely group of travel companions - 18 of us plus TM - really the maximum number for a window seat each in the Arctic Crawler vehicle, and great local guides to make the best of our time. All over far too soon.