crystalbling55
(Member) (Topic Starter)
hi is anyone going on one of the india tours? its my first time as a single traveller and im so nervous. Do you all meet somewhere at the uk airports? do you all stay together and eat meals together? I would dread the thought of eating alone. What are the age group range? how many is normally in a group? sorry to bombard you all with questions but I so want to go to india.
lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I did the India tour in October 2012 . It was a great experience but it is a full on trip with lots of travelling. There were about 26 people on the tour. The majority were women-only four men-and the age range was early thirties to early eighties. Meals were taken together and the group mixed really well. There was no pre-flight lounge available on this tour but if you look out for JY luggage labels in departures you will soon identify your fellow travellers.

My advice is go for it. I am so glad I did.

If you want any further advice please ask.

Lesley

cathj
  • (Member)
(Member)
im booked for spirit of india trip 6th October and Im a first timer and cant wait.......I recently travelled on my own to meet a friend in Cyprus. the sense of acheivement is immense, to be honest flying on your own is just like getting on a bus and I now am so looking forward to india..........I would say go for it......
Lucinda
(Member)
'crystalbling55' wrote:

hi is anyone going on one of the india tours? its my first time as a single traveller and im so nervous. Do you all meet somewhere at the uk airports? do you all stay together and eat meals together? I would dread the thought of eating alone. What are the age group range? how many is normally in a group? sorry to bombard you all with questions but I so want to go to india.

It's always scary the first time, and we have all had those doubts! There is normally a JY rep at the airport to help you with check in and quite often the tour manager too. As you are all aiming for the same kind of time at the airport you often meet others while checking in. As others have said, have the JY labels visible and you will see others too. Even if you don't meet anyone while waiting for the flight to be called, there is often a group booking on the flight so you are all in close proximity.

If you are on a trip which is itinierised like both India trips you will be together all the time. You will have free time but people normally split up into smaller groups, some people want to do things on their own but most like to mix. Meals are often included or an arrangement to meet will be made. Lunch will depend where ups are but if you don't want to be on your own you won't have to be.

Age is from 30s to 80s! Most are more 40s to 60s. And it can be surprising who you mingle with! Group size can vary -I did china last year and there was 40 or so but I did Sri Lanka this year and there were 13 of us! Ask the editor for numbers, age, female/male for the trips you are thinking of- Julia is amazing and a font of all knowledge!

It is a really good way to travel, if you wanna go, do it! There are probably reviews of India on here too. I have met a few people along the way that have said both of the trips are great.

Debbi S
(Member)
Hi

Having done quite a lot of solo trips I have been 'advised' by daughter that it would be better for me to go on an organised trip to India ... hence why I am on here as looking at going on Spirit of India in February .... seems to be not the most popular of trips but I love Asia and the reviews I have seen have been so positive .. just wondered if anyone else thinking of going that time of year???? Debbi

Angela Bingham
(Member)
Hi Debbie S. I did this trip in Oct 13, I had always longed to go to India and I absolutely loved it ! Go for it I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Ange

Marie Gallagher
(Member)
When you went to India did you have any injections and did you need to take anti malarials?
Angela Bingham
(Member)
I did have injections but was advised by My surgery that anti malaria tablets wouldn't be necessary in the parts of India I was visiting. My GP had a website she used to decide what jabs to give me.
Debbi S
(Member)
Hi Ange/Marie

Sorry I thought I had replied the other day but it doesn't' t seem to be showing up so sorry if you get this reply twice! Ange I hope to book this trip next week so any advice would be welcome ... I have read other posts but you can never get too much advice :o)

Marie, my daughter had to have Hep A, Typhoid and Tetanus ( she also needed rabies but she was working with bears so we should be ok on that score) again she was told didn't need anti malaria jabs but your GP will advise you on what is current (just don't leave it too close to departure). When are you looking at going, I hope to be head out in February 2015?

Debbi

Debbi S
(Member)
Hi I suppose it's to early to know if anyone has booked Spirit of India in February next year?
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debbi,

There are already 3 booked on the 9th February departure - whether or not they are members of the Just You Community, I'm afraid I don't know.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Debbi S
(Member)
Wow Julia thanks for the quick answer ... another question ..... I understand the tour is very packed but is there 'free time' in Delhi for example to pick up things in the bazaars ? Thanks Debbi
thosh
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Debbi wrote:

Hi I suppose it's to early to know if anyone has booked Spirit of India in February next year?

OK looks like I am one of the Three for 9th Feb. This is my JU number eight and they have all in there different ways been fabulous. Go for it.

Tom.

Debbi S
(Member)
'thosh' wrote:

'Debbi wrote:

OK looks like I am one of the Three for 9th Feb. This is my JU number eight and they have all in there different ways been fabulous. Go for it.

Tom.

Yay ..... now there are 4 of us Tom ....... booked my trip yesterday ..... just the visa to crack now 🙂

Angela Bingham
(Member)
Hi Debbie S

OK , tips for India. Take plenty of anti bacterial hand gel and use it especially after handling money. Always carry tissues, one of our group carried a toilet roll too, you will need them ! Don't do as I did, forget your camera charger. Don't sit on your veranda in the tiger reserve with the lights on and the door open to you room as I also did, you will find your room full of all types of horrible bugs ! If you like the inlaid marble tables , not cheap but beautiful, buy without worry, mine arrived safely about a month after I got home. I think the cost I paid on it's delivery was about £45. Take with you or buy in India a pashmina, useful for temples etc. I took rehydration salts with me on the advice of my (Indian) pharmacist but fortunately didn't need them. That's all I can think of, have a wonderful time, I did !

Ange X

Debbi S
(Member)
'Angela wrote:

Hi Debbie S

OK , tips for India. Take plenty of anti bacterial hand gel and use it especially after handling money. Always carry tissues, one of our group carried a toilet roll too, you will need them ! Don't do as I did, forget your camera charger. Don't sit on your veranda in the tiger reserve with the lights on and the door open to you room as I also did, you will find your room full of all types of horrible bugs ! If you like the inlaid marble tables , not cheap but beautiful, buy without worry, mine arrived safely about a month after I got home. I think the cost I paid on it's delivery was about £45. Take with you or buy in India a pashmina, useful for temples etc. I took rehydration salts with me on the advice of my (Indian) pharmacist but fortunately didn't need them. That's all I can think of, have a wonderful time, I did !

Ange X

Thanks for the tips Ange ..... so looking forward to it .... every review on here has said how full on it is but how great it is .... just what I am looking for

Debbi x

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Debbi wrote:

Wow Julia thanks for the quick answer ... another question ..... I understand the tour is very packed but is there 'free time' in Delhi for example to pick up things in the bazaars ? Thanks Debbi

Hi Debbi S

I have been informed that there is plenty of free time in each place after each of the guided visits.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Debbi S
(Member)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Debbi,

There are already 3 booked on the 9th February departure - whether or not they are members of the Just You Community, I'm afraid I don't know.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi Julia

Can you tell me when the decision is made for the trips to go ahead ... Spirit of India 09/02/15. Is there a minimum amount of people required for the trip? Thanks

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debbi,

It hasn't been cleared to operate yet but it's now up to 8 travellers so looking very positive. In terms of minimum numbers ideally we'd like to take about 10/12 travellers.

The new brochure will be out in the next couple of weeks and with travellers returning from their September holidays many will start thinking about where to go in 2015.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Debbi S
(Member)
Well paid the balance for Spirit on India 9th February 2015 departure this weekend and travel agents said 12 so far on the trip so cleared to go ... just the visa to sort out now ...... happy days :o)