SezWells
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi there! I'm a first time traveller with Just You and have booked for the Spirit of India tour, 10 November departure, a little bit nervous, a lot excited! Anyone else booked for this tour?
zztop27
(Member)
I did that trip earlier this year and it is great but very busy with some early starts. Enjoy yourself and have fun ... Pete
SezWells
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'zztop27' wrote:

I did that trip earlier this year and it is great but very busy with some early starts. Enjoy yourself and have fun ... Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for your response and I will enjoy, its somewhere I've always wanted to go and have now run out of excuses not to! Im in training for the early starts!

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did this tour in March 2012 and really enjoyed it too; but be prepared not only for a lot of early starts but also noise, crowds and sometimes unsavoury smells! If you go with an open mind I am sure you will have a holiday to remember.

Best wishes,

Bob

SandyF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello

I am also booked for 10 November , was originally on the 24th November trip but this was cancelled so luckily I was able to transfer

First time with Just you and first time to India can't wait , Taj Mahal and possibility of Tigers on the bucket list so very excited

SezWells
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SandyF' wrote:

Hello

I am also booked for 10 November , was originally on the 24th November trip but this was cancelled so luckily I was able to transfer

First time with Just you and first time to India can't wait , Taj Mahal and possibility of Tigers on the bucket list so very excited

Hi Sandy, first time for me too & very excited. Look forward to meeting you!

Mike21
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sez:

I’m now booked for that tour on that date. It’ll be my second trip with JY after an outstanding trip to China last year. (Shall be very surprised if India can beat that but should come a close second I think.)

Seems the group will be limited to 20, compared with well over 30 in China, amongst which I’m likely to be the oldest! I look forward to meeting up with you and anyone else who posts that they’re joining us too.

I can understand your nervousness as a first-timer but you really have no need to be as I quickly discovered. The beauty of these tours is dominated IMO by everyone being in the same boat – ie: of single status of one form or another, so you never have that feeling of imposing on anyone like one might with all couples.

Mike

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Everybody

I am sure you will all enjoy this tour - like Bob said, go with an open mind and you will enjoy it even more. I have seen the Taj Mahal and it is beautiful. I would love to see Varanasi and other sights offered on this tour so maybe in the future I may do this trip. I am going to Kerala next November.

Jaya

Angela Bingham
(Member)
This is a brilliant holiday, I am sure you will enjoy it. Jaya, Varanasi was an incredible experience. I am off to Kerala in February as I enjoyed my first taste of India so much !

Angela

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Angela

Do post a review on Kerala on your return. I have a long wait, but am really looking forward to it. Hopefully I will be able to get to Varanasi one day. Have seen lots of photos on TV in documentaries etc. Have a wonderful time in Kerala - I have been told my many that it is really a great place to visit.

Jaya

SezWells
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mike21' wrote:

Hi Sez:

I’m now booked for that tour on that date. It’ll be my second trip with JY after an outstanding trip to China last year. (Shall be very surprised if India can beat that but should come a close second I think.)

Seems the group will be limited to 20, compared with well over 30 in China, amongst which I’m likely to be the oldest! I look forward to meeting up with you and anyone else who posts that they’re joining us too.

I can understand your nervousness as a first-timer but you really have no need to be as I quickly discovered. The beauty of these tours is dominated IMO by everyone being in the same boat – ie: of single status of one form or another, so you never have that feeling of imposing on anyone like one might with all couples.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your post, its always good to hear from someone who has experience of similar tours. Excitement is taking over from nervousness now and I look forward to meeting you and will probably pick your brains about the China tour...think that might be next on the list!

DPM
  • (Member)
(Member)
'SezWells' wrote:

Hi Pete, thanks for your response and I will enjoy, its somewhere I've always wanted to go and have now run out of excuses not to! Im in training for the early starts!

I did the Spirit Of India trip back in 2012 and had the most amazing time. It's a superb holiday all round.

Early starts - yes, there were a few very early ones, but there's no getting around these if you want to see the Taj Mahal at sunrise, or see the sun rising over the Ganges. I'm sure these are experiences you would not want to miss. But don't worry, you may have to get up and get out early to do these things, but come the afternoon you'll get the opportunity to relax by the pool for a few hours and recharge... It's not all non-stop action.

Biggest hazard is the infamous 'Delhi belly'. Take hand wipes/hand gel and use frequently, especially after handling anything (including money). Only drink bottled water. Take pro-biotics. And, I suggest, avoid meat as much as possible when you're out there (it worked for me). You mostly eat in hotels so get a choice of stuff, including vegetable curries and pasta.

You'll have a fantastic time.

Dave

Angela Bingham
(Member)
Thank you Jaya, getting excited already ! I will definitely post a review when I get back with any tips I may have gleaned.

Ange X

Gilly123
(Member)
Good morning, I too am booked on this trip to India. I'm just starting to get a bit worried, it's my first time with Just You so not sure what to expect. Do you know how many of us there are going? Do you know who the tour manager is? So many questions but all will be answered soon. Hope to hear from you if not see you Monday.

Gilly:s

SezWells
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Gilly123' wrote:

Good morning, I too am booked on this trip to India. I'm just starting to get a bit worried, it's my first time with Just You so not sure what to expect. Do you know how many of us there are going? Do you know who the tour manager is? So many questions but all will be answered soon. Hope to hear from you if not see you Monday.

Gilly:s

Hi Gilly

My first time too but excitement is overtaking the nervousness! I have no idea how many of us are going or who the tour manager is but, as you say, we will soon find out! Look forward to meeting you Monday!

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gilly

If you want to know how many are on the trip and the name of the tour manager, then you are better off posting this to the Editor.

Jaya

Mike21
(Member)
.....In the meantime, the last information I had from JY, Gilly, probably at least two months ago now, was that the group would be up to 20 in total. At the time, there were 5 males to 13 females, ages ranging from 41 up to, erm, er, my age!! 😞 Next youngest 51, 57 and 59.

Look forward to meeting up with you on Monday.

Mike

Gilly123
(Member)
'Mike21' wrote:

.....In the meantime, the last information I had from JY, Gilly, probably at least two months ago now, was that the group would be up to 20 in total. At the time, there were 5 males to 13 females, ages ranging from 41 up to, erm, er, my age!! 😞 Next youngest 51, 57 and 59.

Look forward to meeting up with you on Monday.

Mike

Hi Mike

I too have been on the JY site and asked how many we are in the group, apparently there are 15 women and 5 men confirmed. The tour Manager is provisionally Suzanne Brown and she will be travelling with us. The case is out, the clothes are waiting to be packed, well I will probably have to take many of them out as I always sort out too many, but nobody ever accused me of travelling light!!! I have never been on a touring holiday before so am not looking forward to living out of a suitcase, but what the heck I really want to go to India. I live in Bristol so am travelling to Heathrow on Monday afternoon. Look forward to meeting with you on Monday

Gilly

Mike21
(Member)
Hi Gilly:

Couldn’t reply over the weekend so you probably won’t see this now. My packing has been complicated since speaking with a friend who’d been to India ten times and told me last week I’ll be dripping all day like a tap in the 30°C that’s forecast.

So in addition to the 13 full-sleeve shirts I’d readied, I’ve added half-a-dozen short-sleeved ones, plus extra undies and socks! (TMI!) Still, my trusty bathroom-scales indicate a case well under the 23Kg limit.

The more sensible alternative would’ve been to use one of the hotel’s laundering facilities halfway through.

Mike

Debbi S
(Member)
Hi I know this is a little late in asking but has anyone ever had kurtis (tunic tops) made in Delhi .... if so any information would be gratefully accepted. Heading off next week ... happy days ahead.