mikew
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everybody, I've booked the trip to Jordan in April and would love to hear from anyone who's going. I'll be travelling down to Heathrow from Birmingham on the day, so if anyone would like to meet up for a meal or drink in terminal 3 that would be great.

Not long to go now! Cheers, Mike

Angie S
(Member)
Hi Mike,

I'm going on this trip and I am aware there is another chap who uses the forum who is going too. I'm travelling down from Edinburgh on the day. My flight gets into T5 at 13.25 and have to make my way obviously to T3.

Angie

mikew
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Angie, I'll be arriving just after mid-day courtesy of National Express so I'll look out for you and any others displaying a JY luggage tag. See you soon.

Cheers, Mike

vina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Dear Mike and Angie

Hi, my name is Vina and I too will be travelling on this trip.

I wondered if you or any previous travellers can offer advice on money, clothing, etc.

I am thinking to take local money and wear layers as I think it will just be getting warm/hot.

I am feeling somewhat nervous - I always get like that!

However, I will also look out for JY badges - I noticed they've changed colour!

Hope to hear from you and see you soon, vina

Angie S
(Member)
Hi Vina,

Great hearing from you. Got my travel bumff through yesterday. It says to take dollars or sterling but I popped into Ramsdens today and they can get Dinar. I'm going to get some to tide me over and take some $$ to change as and when.

I've been looking at temps recently. Low 30's at Petra and Aqaba and still warm at night. Cooler further north only mid 20's (perfect)! I think when we land in Amman at night it could be cool but I think it's warming up just nicely.

3 weeks today we'll be travelling to Petra. See you and the others at Heathrow!

Angie

mikew
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vina & Angie,

Great to hear from you. I received my travel details last week and also noticed the new JY luggage tags. I'm off to organise some money today (some dinar and $ in small change if possible). In addition to that I'll take some sterling and my credit card (must remember to tell the building society!) to see me through.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Cheers

Mike

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello everybody

You are in for a treat. Jordan is lovely. It was my first Just You holiday in September 2009. Aquaba was not included then, but there was an option of a stay at the Dead Sea Marriott at the end of the tour. Petra is awesome. I took the local currency - about £200. The food was great - I am a vegetarian. Have a wonderful holiday.

Jaya

vina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Dear all

It's great to hear from you all - thanks so much.

I too have got Dinar from Natwest - they are great and get in most currencies.

So Angie it looks like it's summer clothes although I am thinking of longer dresses being a Muslim country.

I agree, it may be cool when we land so a jacket may be handy.

Unfortunately, I can't swim so not sure I'll be going in the Dead Sea but looking forward to Aquaba and maybe some relaxation and a massage to end things off.

Jaya, I am looking forward to the food - all look fabulous.

Looking forward to seeing you Mike and Angie at the airport - by the way, to help recognise me, I am Indian and quite small!

Have a safe trip to Heathrow, see you soon, vina x

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Vina

No one sinks or drown in the Dead Sea even if they want to - you just float so give it a go if you feel brave enough! You do not really need long dresses in Jordan. If you visit the mosque you are given a 'hijab' (not sure if it is the correct word) - long black gown - to wear, otherwise you do not have to wear long dresses. I think as long as you dress modestly, you will be okay. I wore trousers and skirts - I like my skirts and dresses to be either below the knee or longer! The trip to Wadi Rum is brilliant as well - the sun set is really beautiful. Have fun.

Jaya

vina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jaya

Thank you for your kind message - I can't swim and am nervous of water so I may not try the Dead Sea - I'll see but thank you for your reassurance.

I too read about dressing modestly so think I have packed OK for that.

The weather is really hot there already so should be fantastic!

Can I ask if your accommodation was OK - I read some reviews but always take them with a pinch of salt! We are at the Bristol Hotel, then a new place in Petra (converted village) and last one I think is Blu Tala Bay.

I hope you are off somewhere nice too!

Thanks and best wishes, vina

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Vina,

So jealous. Went on this trip in 2010 when it had Sinai and Cairo included. Collect small dollar notes as the children sell sweets for $1, 1 dinar or £1 at all the main attractions. $1 is cheaper. We wore shawls over our shoulders for all the mosques, never went into a hijab as mentioned, no shorts or short dresses.

Bristol Hotel in Amman was great fun- lots of food at the buffet. Supermarket just up the road which catered for everything.

Petra was in caves- hotel that is- believe they changed that. Petra was on my bucket list so glad I have done that :thumbup:

We stayed at the Radisson Blu at Aqaba- way out of town so not easy to get too unless you wanted a good walk or paid for a taxi. Tala Bay I think is near the Israel border.

You are supposed to see the Golden Dome at Jerusalem from Mount Nebo, we had haze which was a shame.

I paddled in the Dead Sea as I did not like the idea of not being in control and I am not a keen swimmer.

Loved the whole of Jordan. Have a great time.

Jan.

Angie S
(Member)
We go on Saturday!

I thought I had all my clothes planned but am now thinking again!! Better take some trousers especially for the first couple of days in and around Amman.

Nervous excitement now....just need to get my desk cleared at work.

See you all very soon!

Angie

vina
  • (Member)
(Member)
hi there

have just seen these replies - thank you.

i think we too are in the caves hotel at petra, which i find scary but exciting! i hope it was ok.

i have longer dresses, a shawl and boleros to cover up if needed.

good to know about the paddling - i think i might do the same - at least i can still say i went in the dead sea!

hope to see you tomorrow angie, vina x