Sherry66
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Everyone

I just wanted to say hello really, Ive never traveled alone before and im thinking of taking the plunge the second week of sept 2013, by which time I will have finished my studies at university and earned a well deserved break.

Im not sure where I want to go yet, im in my mid 40's and hoping others will be of a similar age to me. Im not going to lie Im a tad nervous about my solo venture, but lifes for living right?!

Any suggestions welcomed and is anyone else thinking of travelling around the same time?

Sherry 🙂

oliveb
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Sherry66' wrote:

Hello Everyone

I just wanted to say hello really, Ive never traveled alone before and im thinking of taking the plunge the second week of sept 2013, by which time I will have finished my studies at university and earned a well deserved break.

Im not sure where I want to go yet, im in my mid 40's and hoping others will be of a similar age to me. Im not going to lie Im a tad nervous about my solo venture, but lifes for living right?!

Any suggestions welcomed and is anyone else thinking of travelling around the same time?

Sherry :)

Hello Sherry. Just go for it - you'll love it. There's bound to be other people a similar age to you - there's usually quite a mixed age range. I'm travelling to the USA this month with JY and the ages range from 25 to 85! This will be my second JY holiday and I'm really looking forward to it. Don't forget - everyone's 'in the same boat' so to speak and some will be just as nervous as you. Wherever you go you'll have a wonderful time. Best of luck - Olive

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
welcome Sherry

I think we are all a little nervous the first time we travel alone, there is no need to worry. JY is a very safe way to take a holiday with. I would suggest you sit down with the brochure or the computer and put your dates into the holiday finder section and see what come up! Or else have a look on what's in offer draw up a list and see if it is in operation with your travel dates.

I have my 9th tour booked with JY to Florida one of there new tours for 2013. Leaving in a coup,e of weeks, these holidays are great fun, fantastic places to visit, and a great friendly bunch of people who all mix in well together.

Age range from 20-80, more ladies then men travel, safe way to do a tour, you can mix in or be alone its up to you it's your holiday,

Cindy

Sherry66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
The irony, I finally find the courage to travel alone and it appears that no one is travelling at the same time.

Oh well back to the drawing board 🙂

Worried solo
(Member)
Hi sherry. Like you I've never travelled solo and yes it is a very daunting thought.

What do you want to do? Are you looking to lie on a beach, do a lot or some activities or just explore? I guess really it depends on what you are looking for that will decide some of the places to go.

I've decided to go to turkey. Ok it's a place I've been before (with my ex) so I know and like the area. I know there is things for me to do because I like to do activities, that said i am not going on massive hikes or cycling miles, just things to pass the day instead of lying by a pool or on the beach. My thought is that if you try your first holiday somewhere you are familiar with at least it might put me at ease.

Always other times in your life to try new things if it all goes well.

Anyway just an idea from a newbie to solo travelling. (Oh I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm 39). Not young but then not so old I want an slow pace of life.

orphelia
(Member)
Hi Sherry

I too have never travelled alone before but have booked the South Africa tour at the end of September. I was going to go with my partner in 2014 but he sadly died and after much pushing from my kids have booked it for this year. Of course I am a bit nervous but you are right life is for living and these forums have certainly answered most of my questions.

Take the plunge! I am certain neither of us will regret it and will just have brilliant memories of a wonderful time.

Sue

Auntie D
(Member)
'Sherry66' wrote:

Hello Everyone

Hi Sherry,

Good for you taking the plunge. Best thing is to look at the brochure, decide where you REALLY want to go, somewhere you've always liked the idea and go for it.

You will be really well looked after by JY from the time you check in until the time you arrive home.

I've been on many JY holidays, USA and Europe. You'll have a really great time.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Denise

:D:thumbup:

Jonesdiehard
(Member)
'Sherry66' wrote:

Hello Everyone

I just returned from my 1st solo trip to Italy same as you bit apprehensive - it was brilliant and had good mix of ages but all were friendly a caring especially to the newbie - go for it

Sherry66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello again,

thanks to all those that took the time to respond to my message. Im going to try and narrow down where i would like to go. Im not a big sunbather, I like the sun just cant lie in it unless there's a big parasol lol I like the thought of doing some activities but no mad hikes or bike rides 🙂

Thanks again

Sherry

Jools
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Sherry66' wrote:

Hello again,

thanks to all those that took the time to respond to my message. Im going to try and narrow down where i would like to go. Im not a big sunbather, I like the sun just cant lie in it unless there's a big parasol lol I like the thought of doing some activities but no mad hikes or bike rides 🙂

Thanks again

Sherry

Hi Sherry

There are tours going to New England and Canada around the time that you are looking to travel. I am going on one on the 15th.

Can I advise that you just decide where you fancy that has tours at the right time and just go for it? Even when you have booked I often find that I post to see who else is going and nobody replies through the forum and yet, amazingly, there everyone is at the airport!!

Good luck.

Jools 🙂

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Just because no-one has come forward to say they are travelling in September, Sherry, doesn't mean a thing. You should just go ahead and book where YOU want to go, regardless. I've only come across one holiday where two of the folk had made contact on the Community board beforehand and, apart from them, I've never heard anyone mention it. Personally I only use the board to look for specific advice, not to contact others who might be going on the same holiday - I'd rather have the surprise at the airport!

So go for it - as everyone will keep telling you, just because you are on your own doesn't mean a thing!

Best wishes, Ann

Sherry66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Ann 🙂
Clairevt
(Member)
'Sherry66' wrote:

Hello Everyone

HI Sherry

I'm going on the Canadian Rockies tour on 10th Sept, how about that one? This is my first JY holiday as well :shy:

Claire

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sherry

I do hope that you will take the plunge and book something soon. Life is for living. Just pick a destination you always wanted to visit and go for it. Travelling with Just You is really good as they take good care of you from start to finish. You meet people of all ages and experiences. Of course, one always feels a bit nervous to begin with, but believe me once you have done it, you will get the 'bug' and will want to book another holiday. I have done 4 holidays with Just You, had two booked for this year but have had to put them on hold as am having treatment fror cancer. Can't wait till next year when I can rebook.

Happy travelling

Regards

Jaya