Gwyn
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
For my fifth JY holiday I'm looking seriously at Tuscany in April. Oddly enough, I've never travelled abroad anytime other than high Summer, so am wondering what Italy will be like in early April.

The holiday looks triffic! Great reviews, and a part of the world I've often fancied visiting, ever since I read John Mortimer's great novel Summer's Lease which is set in Tuscany.

Anyone else thinking of going?

Justforme
(Member)
'Gwyn' wrote:

For my fifth JY holiday I'm looking seriously at Tuscany in April. Oddly enough, I've never travelled abroad anytime other than high Summer, so am wondering what Italy will be like in early April.

The holiday looks triffic! Great reviews, and a part of the world I've often fancied visiting, ever since I read John Mortimer's great novel Summer's Lease which is set in Tuscany.

Hi Gwyn,

Having done the `Highlights of Tuscany` this year ( first JY trip) 6th Sept, it was fantastic - beautiful vistas.

However, Marina the tour manager did sa,y that if you like sunflowers and poppies, the best time to go is early June as they flourish at that

time.

Even the scenery from the airport to Cecina was lovely - but the sunflowers had died off by then.

Also, unlike Spain, the roads were not flooded with advertising billboards

so it did`nt spoil the journey. Very refreshing.

Enjoy your proposed trip !

Janet 🙂

richardc
(Member)
I am a total newcomer, just joined the forum. Considering a holiday with Just You next year. Everything I have read suggests Tuscany would be ideal for starters. I'll probably go for one in May, hoping the weather will be balmy rather than scorching hot.
Gwyn
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks, Janet! It's great to hear from someone who has been to Tuscany recently! The only thing that's holding me back is that I associate holidays with warmth (apart from hols in the UK obviously!), and I know that it won't be warm in April!

I think I'll definitely head back to Apulia which was simply perfect, but am ithering over the second!

I'm off to meet Matt Smith (Doctor Who) and am hoping to get a few hours peace as I travel to & from London to think through my holiday plans!

Angel-49
(Member)
'Gwyn' wrote:

Hi Gwyn I am thinking of going to Tuscany in June, the weather will be much warmer. I have never been to Italy. My parents toured Italy 11 times with Travelsphere. Dad was stationed there during the war he can speak Italian,

Melanie Dolman
(Member)
Hi Gwynne,

You met me on the Discover Apulia holiday in July 2011. I thoroughly recommend Highlights of Tuscany to you for next year. I went in June of this year and had a marvellous time. You would love it because there are plenty of things of a historical nature to observe. There was no pool at the hotel which might be a disadvantage to you but the sea-swimming (opposite the hotel) is fabulous. The food at the hotel is excellent and the staff are lovely. I had no complaints at all. Even though I am not a teacher, I agree with you that they should have more holidays available within the school holidays. I do hope you are well. Regards from Melanie

Melanie Dolman
(Member)
Hi Gwynne, Not sure if my last post transmitted correctly. You met me on the Discover Apulia holiday last year. You will thoroughly enjoy the Tuscany tour in 2013. There is plenty of history to be observed. I went this year in June and everything about it was tremendous. No pool at hotel which may be a disadvantage to you but the sea-swimming was great. Even though I am not a teacher, I do agree that JY ought to provide more tours during school holidays and it would be profitable for them. Hope you're well. Kind regards - Melanie
Gwyn
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for the replies, Melanie. To date, that Apulia holiday was my last forray abroad. The relative paucity of JY products in the hols combined with 3 weddings and a family gathering prevented me flying off this year.

No one has a bad word for Tuscany, the art & history is clearly terrific. My only reservation is the weather in early April, which is the only departure I can make! If I do go for it, I'll probably head for somewhere hot in August to ease my creaky old bones! After the rain of the last six months bits of me are corroding badly!

Bosuncat
(Member)
Running around trying to decide what to book for next early May. I have looked at the Tuscany trip for a while now. Desperate to visit Florence. It's so good to read all the good reports on here about the hotel, food and staff. I still might be strongly tempted.
JohnJW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello all.

Tuscany April/May is on my shortlist for next (sorry, THIS) year. A friend went last October, her first JY holiday, and loved every minute of it.

I like my holiday destinations to be nice and warm, but not scorching. Shirt sleeves in the day, perhaps a jacket or jumper in the evening. According to the tourist sites it should be around 19-23C (66-73F) in April/May - a little warmer than you would normally set the central heating at home.

Sounds good to me.

Shirlcott
(Member)
'Gwyn' wrote:

Thanks, Janet! It's great to hear from someone who has been to Tuscany recently! The only thing that's holding me back is that I associate holidays with warmth (apart from hols in the UK obviously!), and I know that it won't be warm in April!

I think I'll definitely head back to Apulia which was simply perfect, but am ithering over the second!

I'm off to meet Matt Smith (Doctor Who) and am hoping to get a few hours peace as I travel to & from London to think through my holiday plans!

I went to appullia last April 21st and had a lovely time. Weather was beautiful. Also have been to Tuscany once when my husband was alive. Have you been to any of these weekend get togetherness

:rolleyes:

Gwyn
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I haven't been to any official weekend get togethers, but I did meet up with several people from my first couple of JY holidays - meal in a nice Italian in Richmond, visit to Tate Modern etc. It was nice to reconnect with folks, but one loses touch so easily! It would probably be easier to keep in touch if I was on Facebook, but I think it could be dodgy on Fb as a teacher?