sallyc
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I thought I'd start a new thread as it took too long to work out which of the South Africa threads was for 27th.

Well, my balance is paid, jabs up to date, malaria tablets ordered, just a case of waiting the 89 days until we leave. I've not yet received my 15 week paperwork but I've just spoken to JY who say it should be coming out next week. I could do with an up to date excursion list so I can work out how much money to take. I'm going to take the max 5000 rand in cash and then put the rest on a Rand Cash Passport (Travelex do a good one).

There's no news about the change in flights yet, but there's still plenty of time!

There are currently 20 of us booked for the main tour with 7 going on for the Victoria Falls add-on.

Sally

Yvonne25
(Member)
Hi Sally,

I finally paid my balance today over the phone and they told me that the holiday info pack was sent out yesterday so hopefully I will have it by the weekend to study. I will follow you with how to take the spending money and will look into taking the travelex card, so would be grateful to know how much to put on it when you have decided. I have one more jab to have so nearly done. My next step is to get the malaria prescription, how many days have you covered with the tablets? I think we need to start taking them from Durban onwards and seven days after we return is that right? Also where have you ordered yours from?

Sorry this sounds like 20 questions but I do appreciate having your advice.

I am so excited and looking forward to this holiday so much I really can't wait.

Many thanks & regards, Yvonne

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Yvonne

I've gone for 20 Malarone - I've played it safe and will start them two days before we fly to Durban and then take them for the rest of the trip (and seven days after). I always get bitten and never have a problem with Malarone so would rather have too much protection than not enough. I got a private prescription from my doctor which was £13. I ordered the pills through Travelpharm - you fill out a form, they send you a receipt which you post with your prescription. I've not tried it but I believe that Travelpharm will send the pills without a doctors prescription if you fill in an online questionnaire (costs £10) so may be cheaper than going through your own doctor. Whichever way the pills cost £2.25 each. You may find them cheaper from supermarkets if you want to shop around.

I'm happy to help with any questions you have - any excuse to talk about the trip makes it seem that much close!

Sally[/u]

Yvonne25
(Member)
Hi Sally,

Thank you very much for info on malaria tabs. My next question is do you have any idea what weight suitcase we are allowed to take yet , as the final details don't come through until shortly before we go and I would like to start packing!! Early I know but just want to get organised as I go along. Many thanks.

Regards, Yvonne

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Presuming that we are still flying with South African airways, their luggage limits are 23 Kgs hold baggage and 8 Kgs hand luggage. As you say we will know for definite two weeks before but I would imagine that the least that the hold luggage will be is 20 Kgs as the internal flights may be so you could plan for that then put in extra if it changes.

As regards money, I would suggest adding up the cost of the excursions you want to do and then allow £30 a day for lunch, drinks, souvenirs etc to find how much you need. Someone has previously suggested that for the extension which is B&B only, we charge to our room and pay by card at the end which seems sensible. I'm not sure whether the Zambian visa has to be paid in US$ or if sterling will do but I'm sure we'll be able to find out.

Yvonne25
(Member)
Thank you Sally very helpful indeed.

Regards, & Best wishes Yvonne

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've just found out the new flight times - we are departing Heathrow at 1900 hours which arrives in Jo'burg at 0720 hours. The flight to Cape Town leaves at 1005 hrs and arrives 1215 hrs. I've booked the two possible pre-bookable excursions to Winelands and the Cape so that's a little less money to have to take with me.

Just 73 days to go!!!

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sally & Yvonne. Thought I'd introduce myself as I've just joined the community and am booked on the South Africa tour on Sept 27th. I've booked the two pre-bookable excursions to Winelands and the Cape and very much looking forward to the holiday. I've been on 3 singles holidays before but this is my first time with JY. I haven't enough annual holiday to do the Victoria Falls extension so I won't need the Yellow Fever jab. The travel nurse at my doctors also recommended Malarone as anti malaria tablet. She said take them from Durban onwards and a week after we get home. I'm shopping around for the best price at the moment. Anyway, look forward to meeting up with you at Heathrow - I'll be travelling down from Birmingham on the day. Best regards, Mike
sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mike

Good to hear from another fellow traveller. Which other company have you travelled with? I've done around 15 with Solos and find Just You to be just as good. Have you had any thoughts about which other excursions you're planning to do? I think I might do most of them even though it will make for a tiring trip - they all look so good!

See you in 64 days! (and counting).

Sally

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sally, I too have used Solos on my previous travels and had no problems with them. I haven't had a list of excursions to browse through - am I missing something? The 2 trips from Cape Town were mentioned when I initially booked, but I've had no other literature from JY regarding excursions since then. If there is a list + prices available I will need to look at it to decide how much money to bring with me (apart from the 5000 rand limit).

Best regards

Mike

Yvonne25
(Member)
Hi Sally & Mike, I'm really getting excited now, and yes Ive had all my jabs now and got the prescription for malaria tablets so must get them purchased. I will also book the Cape trip, not sure I will do the winelands but lots of others are on my list. I'm hoping to especially do the Royal Livingstone Express as its supposed to be like the Orient Express (which I went on last year and it was wonderful) with wonderful scenery and wildlife. I obviously hope to do one of the elephant trips and the game drives. Hopefully the helicopter rides as well.

Ive never been to Heathrow so I'm a little worried about getting lost and finding my way around on my own, I wonder if the info pack we receive nearer the time helps with directions once inside the airport.

Yvonne

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Yvonne

Don't worry about finding your way round Heathrow - I know it very well and we can arrange to meet up if you like.

Mike - you should have had an info pack with the excursion details. Give JY a ring and they'll send one out.

Sally

Yvonne25
(Member)
Hi Sally,

Thank you that would be great to meet up at Heathrow. Thats put my mind at ease. Look forward to meeting you there.

Ive just sent for my malaria tabs with Travelpharm, then just the money to sort out and cash card. Its getting nearer, can't wait.

Yvonne

Madders
(Member)
Hello fellow travellers to South Arica,

I thought I'd take a peek to see what everyone is saying about the forthcoming trip. I have booked the Cape Trip and am considering the Winelands trip; the practice nurse where I had my jabs done said it is absolutely beautiful and highly recommended going there. I noticed that Yvonne mentioned the Royal Livingstone Express but I didn't see that on the list of excursions - is that something you are booking yourself Yvonne?

I am travelling from Manchester to Heathrow and as far as I know I am the only person travelling from 'up north' unless anyone knows otherwise?

Looking forward to it.

Madeleine

Yvonne25
(Member)
Hi Madeline,

Are you joining us on the 27th Sept ?

The Royal Livingstone Express Steam Train (£121.00) trip was included in my details when confirming my final balance payt. It has a 5 course meal plus drinks inclusive. Hopefully we should see many wild animals on the way.

Previous testimonies speak highly of it and say it should not be missed.

Yvonne

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Madelaine

The Royal Livingstone Express is on the add-on to Zambia so I guess that if you're not doing the extension you won't have received details of it. If you are doing to extension you probably need to get in touch with the office.

Glad to hear you're joining the gang.

Sally

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Yvonne

Don't worry about finding your way round Heathrow - I know it very well and we can arrange to meet up if you like.

Mike - you should have had an info pack with the excursion details. Give JY a ring and they'll send one out.

Sally

Hi Sally, thanks for that - I gave JY a call and have received the info pack with the excursion details. They do look good as you said. Look forward to meeting you and Yvonne at Heathrow.

See you soon

Mike

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Yvonne25' wrote:

Hi Madeline,

Are you joining us on the 27th Sept ?

The Royal Livingstone Express Steam Train (£121.00) trip was included in my details when confirming my final balance payt. It has a 5 course meal plus drinks inclusive. Hopefully we should see many wild animals on the way.

Previous testimonies speak highly of it and say it should not be missed.

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne, I did this tour last year and had a wonderful time. The Royal Livingstone Express is well worth doing, expensive but a real luxury experience. Fabulous meal, but we didn't see much wildlife - perhaps we were too busy enjoying ourselves to notice!

Best wishes,

Bob

Madders
(Member)
Hi Yvonne

Yes I am on the SA trip on 27th September but not doing the extension. I suddenly realised that the Royal Livingstone Express trip was probably part of the extension and Sally's message confirmed it. I couldn't get enough time off work to do the extended trip.

I'm very much looking forward to the holiday and can't believe it's only 8 weeks away.

Madeleine

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi guys

Hopefully you've all received your final Info packs. A few changes to hotels, but they still all look great. It's unfortunate that we can't check-in online but fingers crossed there will still be aisle seats available as I like to walk around a fair bit on the flight. I'm not sure about the 20Kg baggage allowance - I think I may be spending a fair time doing laundry on the trip!

If anyone fancies meeting up before going to the lounge I'm going to be getting to the airport at around 3pm and grabbing something to eat at the Bridge Bar and Eating House. It is located at the bottom of the stairs to the lounge so turn right after Security, walk past all the shops, then turn right at World of Whiskies and it is between that and Hamleys. I'll make sure my rucksack has the Just You label prominently displayed. Otherwise I'm sure we'll meet either in the lounge, on the plane or in Jo'burg.

Sally