Marie060
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
[/size][/font]

I have just summoned up the courage to register and now need to find a tad more and actually book a holiday!! I´ve returned to the Just You site over and over again for the last few months but just couldn´t go that one step further. Anyway I´m here now and wonder if there is anyone who has been on the river cruise on the Douro in Portugal in October. I have always fancied a river cruise and think it might be a good choice for my first solo venture. Also, what was the weather like in October?

For the last fifteen months, since my husband died, I had sort of accepted that the holiday part of my life would have to change. It still might if I don´t finish what I´ve started and book something!! I feel ridiculously excited and apprehensive all at the same time!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Marie

Welcome to you, I cannot comment on the river douro tour as I have not been on this.

Have you had a look at the two video links on here from Lovelylesley and mysel Cindy it might give you an idea of what is what.

I have done 8 JY tours and have enjoyed them all for very different reasons.

I can only imagine how you ladies feel about travelling with out your husbands and I always think how brave you all are. Can I just say that JY is a very safe way for a lady to travel, you are head counted daily !! and there is always someone to keep an eye on you with out treating you like a child.

If there is anything I can help with just ask. I hope that you can muster up that last bit of courage and BOOK a tour with JY, Have fun

Cindy

Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Marie

Welcome to you, I cannot comment on the river douro tour as I have not been on this.

Have you had a look at the two video links on here from Lovelylesley and mysel Cindy it might give you an idea of what is what.

I have done 8 JY tours and have enjoyed them all for very different reasons.

I can only imagine how you ladies feel about travelling with out your husbands and I always think how brave you all are. Can I just say that JY is a very safe way for a lady to travel, you are head counted daily !! and there is always someone to keep an eye on you with out treating you like a child.

If there is anything I can help with just ask. I hope that you can muster up that last bit of courage and BOOK a tour with JY, Have fun

Cindy

Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Cindy,

Thank you for your reassuring reply to my post. I am hoping to get some feedback from someone who has done the river cruise and, if it´s positive, I will summon up the courage to book!! It would be nice to hear from anyone else who might be going, or thinking about it.

I watched your video and it was great. Thank you again.

Marie

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Marie

Let's hope you get a responce from some one that has been ..Good Luck

Cindy

Angela Bingham
(Member)
Marie

I do feel for you, my husband died 4 years ago and like you I have dithered over a holiday alone for the last couple of years before taking the plunge and booking.

I am off to Apulia in Italy on 23 Jun 12, still a little anxious but excited too!!

Don't let your holidays be a thing of the past.

Good luck!

Ange

Maddy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Marie, I went on the Duoru cruise two years ago and can thoroughly recommend it. The cabins are comfortable, the food is excellent and the crew very friendly and helpful. The optional excursion to Salamanca was a highlight, other excursions were good too and there's also time to take it easy and just relax on board.
Sarahslou
(Member)
Hi Marie

I am new to this for the same reason as you. I have just booked a discovery weekend as could not quite get the courage at this point to book something further afield but it is early days for me yet. I really hope that someone gives you the information that will help you take that final step and book. Having looked at lots of posts everyone seems to regret not booking sooner and has a lovely time.

Take care

valley
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I have done 14 JY Holidays since my Husband died 6 years ago, I have enjoyed each one and they have become my lifeline, there is always someone to talk to,or you can have quiet moments, they are the perfect answer to travelling alone safely. I am doing the River cruise in August and will get back to you when I get home. book it go on, you will regret it if you dont! Best wishes Val
Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Maddy' wrote:

Marie, I went on the Duoru cruise two years ago and can thoroughly recommend it. The cabins are comfortable, the food is excellent and the crew very friendly and helpful. The optional excursion to Salamanca was a highlight, other excursions were good too and there's also time to take it easy and just relax on board.

Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Angela wrote:

Marie

I do feel for you, my husband died 4 years ago and like you I have dithered over a holiday alone for the last couple of years before taking the plunge and booking.

I am off to Apulia in Italy on 23 Jun 12, still a little anxious but excited too!!

Good luck!

Ange

Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Angela wrote:

Marie

Good luck!

Ange

Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Maddy, Ange and Sarahslou for responding to my post. I´m still at the stage where receiving a reply is exciting!! Mind you it´s taken me an age to sort out how to reply!! Now that Maddy has told me how good the river cruise was I´m a step nearer. Thank you all.

Marie

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Marie, someone on my last JY hol had done the Douro cruise and they thoroughly enjoyed it. In particular they said the scenery was beautiful, hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Bob

jordapete
(Member)
'Marie060' wrote:

I have just summoned up the courage to register and now need to find a tad more and actually book a holiday!! I´ve returned to the Just You site over and over again for the last few months but just couldn´t go that one step further. Anyway I´m here now and wonder if there is anyone who has been on the river cruise on the Douro in Portugal in October. I have always fancied a river cruise and think it might be a good choice for my first solo venture. Also, what was the weather like in October?

For the last fifteen months, since my husband died, I had sort of accepted that the holiday part of my life would have to change. It still might if I don´t finish what I´ve started and book something!! I feel ridiculously excited and apprehensive all at the same time!

Hi I went on this cruise in April weather was mixed and not too hot. Would think October would be similar but hopefully drier. The boat and crew were excellent TOur Manager Philomena great and our group of 14 gelled well. This was my 2nd Just You holiday since my wife died nearly 2 years ago. I am 83 and fornd everybody so helpful and friendly. Go for it girl[/size][/font]

Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'valley' wrote:

Hi I have done 14 JY Holidays since my Husband died 6 years ago, I have enjoyed each one and they have become my lifeline, there is always someone to talk to,or you can have quiet moments, they are the perfect answer to travelling alone safely. I am doing the River cruise in August and will get back to you when I get home. book it go on, you will regret it if you dont! Best wishes Val

Thank you Val I would appreciate that. Best wishes, Marie

Marie060
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jordapete' wrote:

'Marie060' wrote:

Hi I went on this cruise in April weather was mixed and not too hot. Would think October would be similar but hopefully drier. The boat and crew were excellent TOur Manager Philomena great and our group of 14 gelled well. This was my 2nd Just You holiday since my wife died nearly 2 years ago. I am 83 and fornd everybody so helpful and friendly. Go for it girl[/size][/font]

Thank you for the information, you have inspired me! I am moving house next week and as soon as things are straight I intend to book. I am going to ring first to make sure there are others already booked on this holiday. Best wishes, Marie