Mick W
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just booked for the trip starting on October 8th.

Anyone else booked on this one ?

Littlepaul66
(Member)
I am Mick

Last I hears there was 19 of us for this date. I'm really looking forward to it as everyone is.

Paul

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Paul,

19 already thats great reckon they'll be a few more before the date as its a long way off.

Have you been to the States before ?

Have you been with JY before ?

For me the answer is yes to both questions in fact Chicago at start of the route is my favorite city, stayed there many times, in fact once at the Palmer House Hilton which is a class hotel (although avoid the bar they knw what to charge, lol).

At time of booking it'll be my 6th JY trip but I'm thinking of doing a european trip before then so probably be my 7th.

Can't wait.

Mick.

silversingletraveller
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

Just booked for the trip starting on October 8th.

Anyone else booked on this one ?

It has bin a life long dream, infact i would say a fantasy! cadillac and E. P. the only thing that is stopping me booking is the intense travel. Ive just come back from the Golden West exhausted.. margaret.

Littlepaul66
(Member)
Hi Mick

This will be my first JY holiday and also my first long haul trip. I'm celebrating my 50th birthday in August and this trip in October is present to myself which I'm really looking forward too. Route 66 is an iconic trip that most people want to do but very few actually get the chance. I'm the envy of most of my work colleagues and can't stop talking about the trip to them.

I'm from Manchester and will be flying to heathrow the day before as I don't fancy a very early start on the Monday.

Look forward to meeting you

Paul

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Paul,

I'm not that far from'you just the other side of the hills, live in Selby (near York) and will also travel down the day before. Not sure how but it'll be train or car will have to chat and meet over a meal/beer the night before.

Haven't decided heathrow hotel will book nearer time, usually get a decent deal (especially if go in car and get hotel/park deal).

I'm not much older than yourself (53) so thats two of us in the same range.

Don't know if you've been to heathrow before but one tip is if your hotel is close to airport the service buses are free (better than paying £4.50) each way for transfers.

Here is a map of bus routes, free area shaded and hotels marked.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/heathrowterminals123-13970.pdf 

Also have you got your ESTA yet, can do it online here (14$ about £9)

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c65DB527A-3D24-49C2-7AA4-10664AAE400A_kD360364B-78DF-482E-4198-EAC0753360A2 

Some companies charge up to £50 for doing it, only takes 5 minutes.

It'll be a great trip, look forward to meeting you.

Mick

Mick W
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Margaret,

Did Golden West in 2010, you're right its hectic but worth every minute, great holiday.

So once rested you should join us getting our kicks on route 66.

Mick

Littlepaul66
(Member)
Hi Mick

Thanks for the info on Heathrow. Premier Inn are opening a new hotel close to terminal 5 next month so it might be best to stop at that 1. I'm going down to Heathrow over Easter with my young nephew on a plane spotting weekend so I will have a good look round while I'm there.

Meeting the night before having a meal and a beer sounds great.

Counting down the days already and getting more excited each day.

Paul