susan mary
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm Susan and going to S Africa at Xmas. Would like to know who else may be travelling and if you have any tips to tell me.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Susan there are a number of threads on the S Africa holiday, including mine in the Testamonials section. It is a brilliant holiday in every way, you will love it. Regarding tips, see your doctor now if you haven't already done so for a malarone prescription to prevent malaria. If you are doing the add-on to the Victoria Falls (which was truly spectacular) you will need a yellow fever vaccination as well. Get a S African travel adaptor online or you may be lucky and get one at the airport, but that could be risky leaving it till then. They have a different style of plug/socket in southern Africa (same in Zambia), which I believe are also used in India. To avoid being bitten by mosquitoes around Kruger etc, use a DEET 50% spray in the evenings, at night and when near still water. I also used the wristbands and only got one bite - that was before we hit the malaria zone, so all is well! You will take hundreds of photos, esp when on the game drives, so bring a spare battery for your camera and practise using the different modes on it, so you know which is the best - I used a sports setting to get the best shots of the animals. You will have a truly wonderful time and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Best wishes,

Bob