AnitaM
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I've booked for the above trip and the Amazon add on. Wondered if anyone else booked on this would like to get in touch.

Cheers

Anita

mak
  • (Member)
(Member)
Where to start. I've just got back from Peru and enjoyed every second of it.

It is definietly a land of contrasts from the arid desert coast to the mountainous Andes to the broad expansive plain of the Altiplano. This difference can also be seen in the main cities of Lima and Cusco.

Lima or the 'City of the Kings' is a capital city and a half. The trip from the airport to Miraflores district (if you're stopping there) takes approx 25 to 30 minutes ish ride depending on whether you hit the frantic rush hour traffic. The modern airport is located in the northern district of Callao (Lima's port) so you will see alot of the city as you travel south. The districts of Miraflores, San Isidro and Barranco are the wealthier parts of the city and are relatively safe although a common sense approach to security should be taken just as you would anywhere else in the world. My main security tip is don't leave your bag unattended and don't drap them over the back of the chair. A woman on in my group placed her bag on the back of the chair in a restraunt and seconds later it had gone. I was sitting next to her and didn't notice anything there were 18 of us in total and it wasn't until we finished the meal a couple of hours later that we realised. If it does happen then go to the Tourist Police to make a report - your tour manager should help you with this,

Lima was founded by Francisco Pizzaro and therefore it is (I suppose a stereotypical view) what I would expect from a Latin American city with its brightly colour buildings (red, blue and yellow are common colours), the frantic traffic and the dizzing array of wires. There are slums on the hill sides and some areas are abit run down but I think it adds to the charm. Its a city were Spanish colonial architecture sit side by side with tall modern glass and concrete constructions.

If you are staying in Miraflores then the main place to go is Avenue Jose Larco and the little side streets. Also if your into shoping then a trip to the Larcomar Mall maybe something that would interest you. Its a modern structure clinging onto the cliff face. If you're not a big fan of shopping and I'm not then the views are spectacular. The sea food is sublime and you may visit La Rosa Nautica, it is expensive in comparison to most restraunts, but were else can you eat fantastic sea food with the Pacific right under your feet. !Warning DON'T eat the Peruvian chillies they are for decoration only! They look like peppers I did and I was nearly breathing fire.

If you like the odd tipple or two you must try the famous Pisco Sour. I found that it seems to vary in strength for place to place but it still hits the spot. If you don't drink then there is tea, coffee and a wide array of well known soft drinks. Soft drinks wise you have to try Inca Cola you can't miss it because its bright yellow and taste like dandelion and burdock. If you don't fancy that then try one of the fruit juices - try tuna or a lemonade.

Food wise if you don't like sea food then there is a wide variety to choose from you have American, Argentinian, and the peculiarly named Chifa. Prices vary across the board you usually have the cheap, middle of the road and expensive type of restraunts. I have been told that Peruvian wine isn't very nice but you can try that for yourself. If you fancy a beer then Cusquena or Crystal are popular and they are light and not too gasy and the essential factor is that they are chilled which is what you need after shopping.

Tip were ever you are and especially in Lima you must use bottled water (a bottle costs roughly s/1,50 but prices vary depending on were you buy it). Do not drink from the tap as the water comes from the River Rimac.

Another tip the air in Lima is very dry and dusty so take lip balm or some sort of protector. I didn't and got very chapped lips.

Money wise take pristine American dollars you can take travellers cheques (in US$) if you wish but you may have difficulties exchanging them. When you get there as soon as you can convert your dollars into the local currency the Nuevo Sol as some places won't accept dollars. Major cards can be used such as Visa etc in most shops and in the ATMs. Getting money from an ATM is easy as most proivde an English language option and every bank has armed security guards usually one on the door and then a few inside. Banks can be located on Ave Jose Larco.

The city tour is very informative and the tour guide spoke good English. We visited the Plaza Mayor home to Government Palace, the Cathedral and various other bulding including the Archbishop's Palace. It is strictly forbiden to hold any kind of public protest in the Plaza and there is a constant police presence. It is a bit strange having armed police and armoured vehicles in the city centre but they are friendly enough.

Cusco - in contrast to Lima still retains a Quechua (descendants of the Inca) flavour. Its main square Plaza de Armas is more gentile with its covered walk ways, church and cathedral. Our hotel was just a few minutes from the centre and once again it is relatively safe. The problem you experience is the Street Vendors usually a 'maybe later' or 'no gracias' will do the trick but you may get a more persistant person if this happens duck into a shop or head back to your hotel as they are not allowed into these areas. Altitude sickness should be a too bad I had a slight diziness and my heart will start to race but you will probably be given the Coca Tea (do not try to import Coca back to the UK as it is illegal here). I think the tea taste very bitter. Usually the Coca leaves are either ground up and put into a tea bag or the leaves will be left on top of a cup of hot water and allowed to enfuse. If this doesn't work then most chemists will have buy over the counter medication. Failing that you can always get an oxygen bottle I've been told that most hotels have them free of charge. I know my hotel in Puno had it on offer.

As I said Cusco still retains some of the Inca culture and in fact a huge rainbow flag flies in the main square. The rainbow flag in Peru means the flag of the Quechua speaking people it is an important symbol in Inca culture (but you will learn more about that.)Unlike Lima Francisco Pizzaro is seen as a destroyer as he raised the city to its foundations. The Inca foundations were then built on top of you can still see the Inca walls though. The major Inca sites are within easy reach of Cusco once again take it easy, apply the sun block, apply insect repellent wear a hat and if you have them sun glasses come in handy.

Tip: Take water proof clothing with you although Peru has a dry and wet season it not clearly defined and it can rain even in the dry season in the mountains. In Lima however last year they only had 3mm of rain for the entire year.

Lake Titicaca - the cities of Juliaca (where the airport is located) and Puno aren't much to look at and Juliaca isn't safe so you'll stop there only for the airport. The main attractions are obviously the drive from Cusco across the Altiplano seeing the towering snow capped mountains of Peru as well as the impressive range in Bolivia, the Uros Islands and Sillustani.

As for the Amazon add-on I didn't go on it. But people in my group told me that they had to get up at 3ish in the morning for the drive to the airport and flight to Iquitos and travel to their lodge and then in the same day went and did some activites. Sorry I don't know what these activities were. As I say I didn't go so its merely my view nad don't let that put you off.

The main tip though is when you fly from Lima to Cusco make sure you get a window seat. It is an automatic check-in process but when you go and drop your suitcases of at the desk jsut ask to swap to a window seat. I did this and woman simply smiled at me an issued a new ticket. Its a tourist thing but its a must the view is out of this world. Hopefuly you'll be flying with LAN Peru.

AnitaM
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for that mak - very useful. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Cheers

Anita