jlp
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in booking the Highlights of Thailand trip.

I would love to hear any tips from people who have taken the tour before.

Especially interested in knowing which currency to take and information on Excursions, i.e. those which are unmissable & those to avoid

Many thanks for any help & good luck with your travels

Claire

dianejan
(Member)
Hi Claire i am thinking of going next year would love to know how you get on Di x
nicp
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Claire. I went on the JY Thailand trip in Feb 2009 and it was amazing - in fact it got me hooked on exotic travel (I've just booked Vietnam with JY for next April plus Nepal with Travelsphere for November 2011!!). The Thailand tour was very well organised, we visited wonderful places, all food and hotels superb. I took some Thai Baht with me plus sterling, which was easy to change everywhere(and all the hotels had in-room safes) and I also used ATMs with no problems at all using my UK debit and credit cards. On the optional excursions, I took them all, and thought they were all excellent and good value. The most expensive was the full day River Kwai and so called 'Death Railway' - very moving but for me it was an incredible experience, I would not have missed it for the world. Also memorable was the elephant ride - very safe! Plus the boat ride on the Mekong River was exceptional - we got to pop over the border to Laos. So all in all, I fell in love with Thailand on this trip. I'm back there for 2 weeks in November. Incidentally, November is a good month to visit - the rainy season has ended, it's a comfortable temperature, although still hot of course. Hope that helps -have a great time!

Regards,

Nicola.

jlp
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Nicola for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am really looking forwards to this trip now, thank you for your 'First hand' advice

Claire

Buffy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Nicola

I found your info very helpful. Can you tell me if you took Malaria tablets. I get a different answers from everybody I have asked. It would be nice for somebody who has been to tell me. Thank you

Jenny

nicp
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jenny. Re malaria pills, I can only advise you to check with your GP for the most up to date advice - Mekong/Laos/Myannmar border is always the area that causes conflicting advice because there is some malaria risk, but the tour only takes you the Mekong area by day when the malaria mossies don't bite. I was advised by my GP when I did the trip that it wasn't necessary to take tablets. But advice re tablets changes according to time of year, updates from the WHO on current mossie activity, malaria risk zones change....so it's always worth a visit to your GP to be sure and safe.

Anyway have a wonderful trip!

Nicola.

JemmaJuly
(Member)
Hi Buffy

I am going to Thailand at the end of October. I have just been to my GP practice and was advised that Malaria tablets were not necessary for this tour area. Of course, there is always risk but as long as you take every measure to protect yourself from mosquito bites, hopefully, there shouldn't be a problem. I was advised to report any feverish illness even several months after my return, when a blood test would be done.

Buffy
  • (Member)
(Member)
To Jemma & Nicola

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Regards Jenny