HappyTraveller
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi there, I've just paid the balance for Canada/Rocky Mountaineer which is my first solo trip, so going back now!

Is anyone on here going on this trip as I'm just wondering about the optional excursions and what clothes to take?

Thanks Leonie

susie15
(Newbie)
Hi Leonie I am also going on this trip it will be my first ever solo holiday but i am looking forward to it as i have wanted to go to Canada and go on the Rocky Mountaineer. The excursions i am doing are the Jasper River Rafting, Banff Athabasca Glacier,Jasper Evening Nature Walk, Vancouver North Shore and Victoria on Vancouver Island including

Butchart Gardens.  I haven't yet decided what clothes to take but i thought about jumpers, long and short sleeve tops,waterproof trousers, waterproof coat,hat and gloves.   

Sue  

Sheila H
(Newbie)
Hi Leonie & Sue, 

I am also going on the Canada/ Rocky mountaineer trip on 5th September really looking forward to it, as yet haven't booked any of the optinal trips so I need to have a check to see what's available. I'm just taking a mix of clothing which can be layered up or down, think waterproof & warm is a definate to take. No doubt we will all meet up at airport, looking forward to meeting you all

Sheila

HappyTraveller
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sue,

Nice to touch base with someone else going on the trip! River rafting is definitely not for me but I'm thinking of doing the Athabasca Glacier and the Vancouver North Shore and Vancouver Island. I haven't upgraded on the Rocky Mountaineer either. Looking forward to meeting you. Leonie

HappyTraveller
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sheila,

Thanks for replying to my post...I think you're right about taking a mix of layers to wear and definitely comfy walking shoes.

I'm flying down from Manchester the day before...see you at the airport!

Leonie

ROSE19999
(Newbie)
This is a very full on tour, layers is the way to go.

The trip to Vancouver Island was a highlight for me.

I wasn't sure abot the "white water" rafting but gave ity a go and really enjoyed it, the river level was fairly low so it wasn't at all scary, waterproof ponchos (long ones!) and lifejackets are provided, I'd suggest a wooly hat too.

I upgraded on the train and it was definitelty worth it.

Have fun.

Rose

RogerT
(Member)
Hi all,

as some of you are on your 'first solo', I thought I would try and give some encouragement !

I've now completed 3 trips with JY and they have all been outstanding. Fellow travellers have always been friendly and good company too. Tours have been excellently run and any little glitches overcome seamlessly.

As for Canada, I did the East to West + Alaska cruise back in June '19 (was it really 4 years ago ?!). It was 30 days of almost perfect summer weather. Obviously, September will be a bit different, but not so much I suspect. I certainly took layers even in June, but didn't require the warmer options. Better safe than sorry, though ...

Options wise, I approached it as a 'one time only' deal and did the lot ! No regrets about any of them either. All were really good.

River rafting is very sedate ! A great meander downstream.

The vehicle taking you onto the Athabasca Glacier defies gravity ! Some of our group took a sip of the glacial water that trickles all around. From memory they all survived !

I agree with Rose when she says Vancouver Island was a highlight. Thoroughly recommended. My tip, for lunch try the fish (halibut) and chips. Butchart Gardens are awesome.

Again, like Rose, I upgraded to Gold on the Rocky Mountaineer. Yes it's a chunk of extra cash, but totally worth it !

In my opinion, you have chosen the best Canadian option on offer. The West, Rockies, Banff (love Banff), RM, Vancouver et al are spectacular.

You are all in for an absolute treat !

Kind regards,

Roger

HappyTraveller
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi Rose,

Thanks for the advice...river rafting is definitely a step too far for me but I'm planning to do the Vancouver trips

L x

HappyTraveller
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for such a positive response Roger and the helpful information!
HappyTraveller
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Another question...have you upgraded to the Gold Leaf on the Rocky Mountaineer or sticking with Silver?
whitty
(Member)
have just returned from this trip and it is fantastic,while in the rockies prepare yourselves for all kinds of weather,we had around 3 inches of snow on the june trip,could not do the helicopter flight due to a low cloud base,all other excursions ran smoothly,upgrade on the train has the goldleaf service is brilliant,food fantastic,views fron the dome really good we saw bears those in silver couldnot,has we are slighty higher up,be prepared for adding 20% tax and around 15% tips on everthing from eating to shopping,hotels all good,vancouver was easy to get around on foot,the rafting was like having a relaxing sunday afternoon river trip,the suspension bridge trip is fun,the full on day over to british victoria on the ferry was great i missed seeing a humpback whale,the gardens are beuatiful,you will really enjoy this trip,do not forget to download the arrive canada app has this made going through checkin at heathrow and arrival in canada easy ,has soon has i scanned my passport all the info i diid on the app 2 days before i went came up.ENJOY
Anji
  • (Newbie)
(Newbie)
Hi I'm also going on this trip and new to JY - really looking forward to meeting everyone and thanks to all those who have posted already.

I'm not big on online stuff but am appreciative of the comments on clothing and the trips. Ive booked the river rafting and Vancouver Island and the 'upstairs' Gold Leaf experience on the train for the views!!

Anji

HappyTraveller
(Newbie) (Topic Starter)
Hi Anji,

Thanks for your reply, looking forward to meeting you...3 weeks today we'll be in the air!!

I've decided to stick to Silver class on the Rocky Mountaineer

L x

Angell
(Member)
Hi,

I am booked on this trip too.

I saw on news there have been travel restrictions put in place from Saturday gone till 4th September at some places in BC  including Kamloops due to the wild fires ( so hotels, motels,  etc are available to accommodate the affected people). It's sad to see so much destruction due to the wild fires. Hope they are contained soon. 

See you all at the airport lounge. 

Angell x